OWK Saber Balance Pipe Price?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by franz bolo, May 2, 2012.

1. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Anyone have a clue what these are going for?

Who has a real, correct, one?

FB

2. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Edited post.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Thanks. I know the first one went for $4,000 on eBay.

FB

4. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe someone recently said on here you can get a full Derwent engine for around $12k containing 9 balance pipes, but it's a bit of a gamble because you won't know if it has the correct pipes inside until you open it up

5. pfillery

pfillery Active Member

For the unininitiated like me, could someone please point out exactly which part of the saber we are talking about? Pics of the part would be helpful.

6. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't have any pics on hand, but it's the "emitter" of the saber. :)

7. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here ya go...

The "business end"

[​IMG]

And here's the part alone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. zsherman

zsherman Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got one. What would you like to know about it?

9. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Is it up for sale and if so how much? :D

-Chaim

10. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Just wondering about the going rate. I have a real one, a real booster and a real sink knob and if I was ever to unload it I'd like to know what they are going for.

I'm not so into the star wars stuff anymore and am looking at a sweet gun!

FB

11. teecrooz

If/when you decide to sell, please let me know. It's the last part I need.

12. teecrooz

Edited post.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Unfortunately you can't tell until you open it up. One guy on here bought one but got the wrong pipes.

FB

14. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

So uncivilized :confused

-Chaim

Wishlist : -No. 3Mk1 Grenade and . . . yes, you've guest it, an original Balance Pipe

15. pfillery

pfillery Active Member

I have to chime in here and play devils advocate, so here goes......

a: Would it not be quite easy to replicate the part to a fairly good degree of accuracy, to the point where even an expert would have a hard time telling? I mean these were machined 40 or 50 years ago so with more modern technology, surely someone can make one close enough to the real deal? Or even somone who makes a "replacement" spare for the original, for those who restore old aircraft.

b: Am I the only one who finds it somewhat disturbing to think of destroying a military aircraft engine for the sake of getting a few small parts out of it? I can understand the desire to have an original screen accurate prop, and it seems a far cry from turning a graflex into a lightsaber to thinking of destroying an aircraft engine which would then be rendered useless in the process. Back in the 70's this stuff was cheap junk, nowdays it is becoming harder to get a lot of it, even the graflexes. I have looked on a few vintage aircraft sites and seen people begging and crying out to get these balance pipes from the Derwent engines for restoration projects, ie "I have the rest but just need the pipes as they were missing when I bought the engine" - now granted these could also be people looking for parts for sabers.

I can appreciate a good replica as much as the next person but it is a bit offputting reading how people are considering buying a whole engine to ransack a few bits - and what of the poor sod who buys the engine after you are done, to find it is missing the parts.

Like I say, I'm playing Devils Advocate just trying to put forward another point of view, something to think about.

16. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To your point, there are some nice replicas out there that certainly suffice and get the job done. But like you said, some people just want that "original" replica

17. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

a. The replicas out now are duplicated from direct examination of originals. They're dimensionally accurate, but made from different materials (ie steel or aluminum). The correct original metal alloy is too expensive and difficult to machine. There have been a few aircraft replacement quality replicas offered for sale by professional aircraft machinists but they were very expensive.

b. Most of these engines will never run again. They aren't flight worthy and there are very few aircraft still flying that even have these engines. Some are used as runway de-icers, laboratory test engines, or museum displays.
    The engines that would likely be considered for flight restoration would have extensive maintenance documentation to prove their pedigree and condition which makes them worth much more than the scrap engines being considered by people here.
    I'd be willing to bet any posts you see on aircraft forums begging for these parts are actually prop builders trying to con aircraft enthusiasts. I've seen the same thing MANY, MANY times over the last 15 years in photography and militaria forums.

There are certain items that I wouldn't modify for prop purposes but not scrap engine parts. I have a really excellent Webley flare gun that I'm not going to modify permanently into a Fett blaster. It's just too nice and worth a lot to gun collectors as well. Everything I do to it will be un-doable.

18. Serenity

Hmm...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  19. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Serenity,

you may have seen one of my posts,
    The only reason some of these things are expensive is demand (exception: grenades and balance pipes, real significant vintage items). I have gotten prices for other items reduced dramatically by just changing my excuse for purchasing. Does that seem fair to you?

as for Armitage handwheels....they're a friggen sink knob - really not worth much at all. if the asking price can honestly be less, then there is no legitimate reason for the markup.

Sorry, to add to this: what does it matter why you buy something? Is it that collectors, or people selling old plumbing, wouldn't want to sell to a prop maker unless their pockets are lined? Usually in these situations, someone puts you on the spot for an explanation - and your answer will decide the price, that's just not right.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  20. Serenity

Nah mate, I've never seen your posts like that and I wasn't accusing you. This was a while back when I was looking for parts myself. I'm honestly not sure of the tone of your post but I'm right there with you.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  21. thd9791

Serenity,
    Thank you. I am sorry for my tone, i thought that was scorning people for doing that, and i was trying to say that the wrong was on the seller for manipulating the transaction. I think the use of the tern "con" spurred those feelings. Balance pipes though, cool little things. I have a steel replica and im kinda impressed by the part itself...so simple.

I thought it was so interesting that there was another end to the pipe that looked a little different as well.

22. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

O bought original AS handwheel for about 300 bucks,but it was to use it as a model.
    It was not a bad choice,because replicas are not very accurate.
    What I fear is if replica grenade or booster or emitter are not very accurate too.
    On photos,seems replicas look good,really similar to originals.
    But I would find real grenade and booster to get sure,then make 100% accurate replica,then sale the original.
    I was planning to make booster replicas,but alloy is really expensive,and I'm not sur what is made of what,seems the core is made from inconel,but external part is not.
    Whenever I know the truth,and measurments,of course I will make one!

I have to take all measurments on AS handwheel,for a run project with someone else,then I will sell it.

23. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Totally impossible! There are things even people who own them don't know about them. To replicate these small details would be almost impossible.

That being said, Serafino's is the closest thing you'll find as far as accuracy.

FB

24. teecrooz

Patrice,
    You will find that most original grenades have slightly different dimensions. Some have extended milled cuts, some don't. One area to note is the very bottom of the grenade. The Russ version is longer than the actual ones I've seen in person. This ends up not mattering as it is hidden under the clamp anyway.

As for the balance pipes, some have a matte finish over the entire thing as seen in the above pictures. Some have a two-toned finish. I've also seen two with a more polished "business end" and top bevel. It's difficult to say which is the best. You just have to choose what you like and try to match it up to the black and white pictures we have from Chronicles. Otherwise, you're looking to make a completely different finish from what is seems to appear on screen in the Tunisia version.

Peacefrog35 likes this.
  25. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Serafino's is the most accurate and best by far. He had access to a few real Balance Pipes along with my original Rolls Royce Blueprint of the actual part.

The originals are matte but vary slightly. For accurate dimension (which is what all the accuracy freaks want), Serafino's is the best/most accurate to date. Russrep made a run of these.

FB

26. thd9791

are there tell-tale signs, or "signatures" of each replica maker's work on the item? (ways to tell who made what)

27. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

You can usually tell by the design. None had an angled ring of holes before the Rolls Royce part was discovered.

The Serafino/Ob1 was pretty close though.

FB

28. thd9791

Wow cool, my copy does have the angled ring of holes - Serafino?

29. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The boosters were made from steel and the inside was nickle plated

30. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was planning to begin my emitter with modifications tu use it as a blade holder.
    I took measurments on my Russ emitter some months ago,and sold it.
    I lost the paper with measurments...
    I made a scaled image,but it's not good enough to get sure about measurments.
    Does someone have them?
    I remember about 29mm lengh,26,3mm internal diameter
    Something like 56mm maximum diameter
    But I'm not sure about other measurments..
    I hope someone could help me.
    Thanks a lot!

31. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Wrong post.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012