OWK Saber Balance Pipe Price?

I believe someone recently said on here you can get a full Derwent engine for around $12k containing 9 balance pipes, but it's a bit of a gamble because you won't know if it has the correct pipes inside until you open it up

For the unininitiated like me, could someone please point out exactly which part of the saber we are talking about? Pics of the part would be helpful.

Here ya go...

The "business end"

402379667.jpg

And here's the part alone

402379668.jpg

402379682.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering about the going rate. I have a real one, a real booster and a real sink knob and if I was ever to unload it I'd like to know what they are going for.

I'm not so into the star wars stuff anymore and am looking at a sweet gun!

FB

I have to chime in here and play devils advocate, so here goes......

a: Would it not be quite easy to replicate the part to a fairly good degree of accuracy, to the point where even an expert would have a hard time telling? I mean these were machined 40 or 50 years ago so with more modern technology, surely someone can make one close enough to the real deal? Or even somone who makes a "replacement" spare for the original, for those who restore old aircraft.

b: Am I the only one who finds it somewhat disturbing to think of destroying a military aircraft engine for the sake of getting a few small parts out of it? I can understand the desire to have an original screen accurate prop, and it seems a far cry from turning a graflex into a lightsaber to thinking of destroying an aircraft engine which would then be rendered useless in the process. Back in the 70's this stuff was cheap junk, nowdays it is becoming harder to get a lot of it, even the graflexes. I have looked on a few vintage aircraft sites and seen people begging and crying out to get these balance pipes from the Derwent engines for restoration projects, ie "I have the rest but just need the pipes as they were missing when I bought the engine" - now granted these could also be people looking for parts for sabers.

I can appreciate a good replica as much as the next person but it is a bit offputting reading how people are considering buying a whole engine to ransack a few bits - and what of the poor sod who buys the engine after you are done, to find it is missing the parts.

Like I say, I'm playing Devils Advocate just trying to put forward another point of view, something to think about.

To your point, there are some nice replicas out there that certainly suffice and get the job done. But like you said, some people just want that "original" replica

I have to chime in here and play devils advocate, so here goes......

a: Would it not be quite easy to replicate the part to a fairly good degree of accuracy, to the point where even an expert would have a hard time telling? I mean these were machined 40 or 50 years ago so with more modern technology, surely someone can make one close enough to the real deal? Or even somone who makes a "replacement" spare for the original, for those who restore old aircraft.

b: Am I the only one who finds it somewhat disturbing to think of destroying a military aircraft engine for the sake of getting a few small parts out of it? I can understand the desire to have an original screen accurate prop, and it seems a far cry from turning a graflex into a lightsaber to thinking of destroying an aircraft engine which would then be rendered useless in the process. Back in the 70's this stuff was cheap junk, nowdays it is becoming harder to get a lot of it, even the graflexes. I have looked on a few vintage aircraft sites and seen people begging and crying out to get these balance pipes from the Derwent engines for restoration projects, ie "I have the rest but just need the pipes as they were missing when I bought the engine" - now granted these could also be people looking for parts for sabers.

a. The replicas out now are duplicated from direct examination of originals. They're dimensionally accurate, but made from different materials (ie steel or aluminum). The correct original metal alloy is too expensive and difficult to machine. There have been a few aircraft replacement quality replicas offered for sale by professional aircraft machinists but they were very expensive.

b. Most of these engines will never run again. They aren't flight worthy and there are very few aircraft still flying that even have these engines. Some are used as runway de-icers, laboratory test engines, or museum displays.
The engines that would likely be considered for flight restoration would have extensive maintenance documentation to prove their pedigree and condition which makes them worth much more than the scrap engines being considered by people here.
I'd be willing to bet any posts you see on aircraft forums begging for these parts are actually prop builders trying to con aircraft enthusiasts. I've seen the same thing MANY, MANY times over the last 15 years in photography and militaria forums.

There are certain items that I wouldn't modify for prop purposes but not scrap engine parts. I have a really excellent Webley flare gun that I'm not going to modify permanently into a Fett blaster. It's just too nice and worth a lot to gun collectors as well. Everything I do to it will be un-doable.

Serenity,

you may have seen one of my posts,
The only reason some of these things are expensive is demand (exception: grenades and balance pipes, real significant vintage items). I have gotten prices for other items reduced dramatically by just changing my excuse for purchasing. Does that seem fair to you?

as for Armitage handwheels....they're a friggen sink knob - really not worth much at all. if the asking price can honestly be less, then there is no legitimate reason for the markup.

Sorry, to add to this: what does it matter why you buy something? Is it that collectors, or people selling old plumbing, wouldn't want to sell to a prop maker unless their pockets are lined? Usually in these situations, someone puts you on the spot for an explanation - and your answer will decide the price, that's just not right.

Last edited:
Nah mate, I've never seen your posts like that and I wasn't accusing you. This was a while back when I was looking for parts myself. I'm honestly not sure of the tone of your post but I'm right there with you.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back