OWK Real Parts Guide

What you’ve called a “heat sink” for the aircraft mounted ANM2 Browning, is actually a recoil booster.
Those washers are not accurate, and may mislead uninformed people.
The proper numerical order for the hales rifle grenade is No. 3 Mk 1, the common parlance for what you’ve listed as the grenades “turbine” is a wind vane.
Common language, or jargon, is important in a group discussion.
Interesting I was taking to a gentleman from Canada who has worked on .303 machine guns to add to planes for a museum and other projects. I tried to buy a booster from him and was only able to get a flash. He corrected me and told me the proper name was a muzzle choke.

Interesting I was taking to a gentleman from Canada who has worked on .303 machine guns to add to planes for a museum and other projects. I tried to buy a booster from him and was only able to get a flash. He corrected me and told me the proper name was a muzzle choke.
Right booster is just Jargon. You talk to other people, and they'll tell you something completely different haha! Always interesting to hear new things about this stuff though, thanks for sharing!

It’s actually referred to just as the MkIII muzzle attachment in the blueprints as well as reference books. The constricted area‘s purpose is to act as a booster to aid in barrel recoil, hence the name. The muzzle attachment itself has two attachment options. A MkII flash hider (longer conical piece) or a muzzle choke (which we refer to as the booster cone).

I’ll tag mugatu in case he wants to chime in.

Last edited:
It’s actually referred to just as the muzzle attachment in the blueprints as well as reference books. The constricted area‘s purpose is to act as a booster to aid in barrel recoil, hence the name. The muzzle attachment itself has two attachment options. A flash hider (longer conical piece) or a muzzle choke (which we refer to as the booster cone).
Wow! It always amazes me how much knowledge is hiding in the members of the community and in these threads. So awesome!

Listen to tecrooz..

What a booster is: "The recoil booster was first introduced in the Vickers machine gun of 1912. The Vickers, like the Maxim gun from which it was developed, uses a short recoil action. At firing, the recoil from the cartridge pushes the barrel backwards within the gun. This movement provides the energy required to extract and eject the spent cartridge, and compresses the recoil spring to complete the cycle. The muzzle booster increased the recoil transmitted to the barrel by directing some of the escaping gas into pushing the barrel back rather than letting it all expand outwards at the muzzle. This increased the initial velocity of the barrel and lock, providing more energy for the operation of the mechanism."

Great information, teecrooz and scottjua. I’ll add these images for further visual reference, regarding the Browning .303.

Source: .303 Browning Flash Arrestor Omission on Hurricanes

30F4FAED-C1AE-4D9E-97FC-CB660319A1FA.jpeg60D3673D-C09D-4AF1-A673-0F5E540C681D.jpeg434359E6-604D-4404-9E44-37CAE133A5FA.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back