"Ow, that's not it! Bring me the hydrospanner..."

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been obsessed with Sci-Fi tools since I was a child... it's the reason I got into electronics and building things. My favorite is the Sonic Screwdriver from classic Doctor Who. I've been wanting to make tools from all the Sci-Fi I love. The hydrospanner was top of my list, but all the pausing VHS tape in the world never yielded a clear enough image to really make one.

Now thanks to 4K images people have posted on this forum (you guys are AWESOME) and some pictures of reproductions from Galaxy's Edge I decided I had enough to give it a go!!

I have modeled it in Fusion for 3D printing. The only thing I was unsure of was the size. I took an image I got on here of Harrison Ford between takes with the Hydrospanner perpendicular to the camera to figure out size. It is roughly 4 hand widths wide... my hand is about 4 inches wide so my guess is 16 inches.

I plan to print one and make molds because it is too expensive to print multiple copies. Ideally I'd like to have at least one on display, one in my tool box at home, and one in my tool box at work. I may make size variations as a spanner is a wrench and in the real world they might come in multiple sizes.

I got a little long winded, anyway on to the pictures of the model!!! Let me know what you think!!!

Hydrospanner Assembly Isometric.jpg

Hydrospanner Assembly Top.jpg

Hydrospanner Assembly Right.jpg

Hydrospanner Assembly Cross Section.jpg

How I figured size
Hydrospanner scale reference.jpg

Me too!!
There was another thread where we talked about tools on the falcon and galaxys edge. I totally want one for my bench at home just to have on my bench in the background of vids.
This is cool man. Any way you might consider doing a run?

Thank you for all the positive comments. I haven't decided on a run, but it's a possibility. I ordered the parts from Shapeways today so it has begun.

That looks great! Totally cool! If I may make a suggestion, it would be pretty neat if you could make the end a socket that accepts those hex shaped bits that go on battery drills, you know, the Phillips head bits, flat head screwdriver bits, Allen head bits, etc. with a small magnet to hold them in the socket. Just a thought

Great pictures!!! It seems like they used a similar painting technique to what I did. Cool to see some good images of their version. Thank you for sharing them!!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back