Outrider/YT-2400 pics needed

Parmandilion

I need to build a studio scale YT-2400 model, and I am in need of some assistance.

I need the (what I believe are) ILM production drawings of the outrider/YT-2400. Problem is, I need them in an appreciable resolution for my needs. They are the line drawings done by Doug Chiang for clarification. I need these in a resolution of hopefully about 720 pixels across or most preferably more, but any considerably larger image will help in part.

Please send pictures or links to Parmandilion@att.net. If the images are in multiple MB, please send them to Parmandilion@gmail.com, so as not to clog my measly 10MB ATT mailbox.

Thank you, B.M.P.Koller

I am not sure of the size of the studio scale outrider, but there was an outrider kit available a while back. I beleive it was around the same scale as the ERTL Falcon model but I'm not positive. The scale says 1/72...studio scale...who knows
icon_wink.gif
It does look like a fairly nice model though.

http://www.angelfire.com/art/zarkus/zarkusmodelkits.html

Jedi Dade

The Zarkus kit does not suit my needs. It has certain inaccuracies that make it a poor reference for me.

There never was studio scale outrider, just drawings and CG. I have a prospective client asking for a studio scale outrider to be built. So unless somebody beats me to it, if the client ponies up the money, I will be building the first outrider to break the 5' long barrier.
icon_biggrin.gif

On a side note. I got one of these kits and after waiting months and months, it was atrocious (which from what i gather was just my kit). But Mark, being the super swell gut he was, returned my money no questions asked.

5' outrider holy smokes! I would think that a "studio scale" outrider would be a lot smaller based on the size fo the studio falcons. The outrider is smaller then the falcons, and the ANH falcon is 5'... When you get around to building take pics
icon_wink.gif
The outrider isn't my favorite ship but it still would be a cool project to see "come alive"

Jedi Dade

Did SMT not offer one right before they got the C&D from L U C A S F I L M?

*EDIT* Terrible Spelling

JDH

SMT did not. They had a link to or they were going ot cast for the Zarkus models kit... something like that. SMT got C&D's when they put together a model of the falcon...and my love hate realtionship continues with LFL... I really wanted that model!

Jedi Dade

ILM use the same digital geometry in the ANH:SE that was used in the Shadows of the Empire video game cutscenes. I guess that would make it canon, wouldn't it?

I just got a hold of the line drawings. They were drawn by J Knowles from the Chiang design on 2-22-95.

What I have found so far:
1- the CGI is radically altered from the line drawing
2- the outrider has a docking hatch like that of the falcon's side pods in the back of the "escape pod"
3- the gear, person, and ramp were drawn in as an afterthought
4- if the ship is in fact 24 meters long, than the width of 28.5 meters is wrong. However, if we agree that CEC's YT series docking hatch/plates are standard, the width becomes about 38.5 meters wide, which makes the ship like 24.1 meters long. I think somebody wrote in the wrong number and then drew the ramp, person, and gear in based on that written width.
5- the outrider is about 110% larger than the falcon
6- the outrider has 7 thrusters set up 3 big and 4 small like an ISD.
7- the ship probably does have 5 gear, but looking at the geometry of the ship, it would only need 4 gear unless you had no cargo and a gamorrean spice orgy in the cockpit, otherwise the cargo would leverage the weight over the four main gear. To get to the point, the fifth gear is supplementary.

Of course this is all just observation with a touch of conjecture. But it makes me want to get totally anal and find the exact length of a 1:1 YT-1300 (I think the last calculation had it at 34.68 meters), so I can get the docking plate diameter to scale the YT-2400 model appropriately off of that, since it now looks that I will indeed be building this technological terror on the same scale as the 5' falcon since the next step up the scale would make it way too huge to do single-handedly.

Admittedly I'm not an Outrider expert but I do remember the ship from reading the book. As I recall it was much more of a combat craft then cargo ship... more along the lines of the slave 1 in function. If we use that as a premise then it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have it be that large. I'm curious what the scale numbers look like when you assume that the person in the picture is 6 foot and the picture actually is to scale. If you look at other features of the Outrider that are also on the falco - like the 3 exhaust ports are the top rear it would imply that the outrider is indeed a much smaller craft. Additionally I seem to recal that the cockpit of the outriuder was not a multiperson cockpit. If that is the case then the cockpit size reasonalby suppoorts a smnaller craft as well base don the drawings.

I guess where I'm going is that a reasonable cases for determining the scale of the ship can be made a number of ways and you could be overly limiting your options by trying to put a definitive scale on is since there is no real resource to determine it definitvely. IF you make a reasonably sized model that was detailed enough for the purposes you need that should be good enough. You are of course going to build whtever your heart desires (or your customer asks for) but I wouldn't get stuck on a particular "scale" for the project if I were you
icon_wink.gif
Just an observation.

Peace,
Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back