Outlaw Josey Wales Shoulder Holster. My first Replica Prop

lordliquorbox

Hi everyone.

I'm a new member to the forum but not new as a visitor. I've frequented the forums for a couple years now looking for information on certain props I thought about making for my collection. I'm a huge fan of Westerns as well as countless science fiction films. I'm an experienced leather worker and have made several western style holster rigs for cowboy action shooting and concealed carry. I love the old west movie genre. One of my favorite westerns has to be the Outlaw Josey Wales. I've seen countless reproductions of the double gun (main) rig that Clint Eastwood wears throughout the film to carry the two big Colt Walkers, but I had never seen a replica of the shoulder holster that he used to holster the 1849 pocket Colt. So back in 2010 I took on the task of making a replica of the infamous shoulder holster. I researched the net for countless hours and rarely found even a screen shot of it from the movie. So I set up my DSLR in front of the tv one evening, popped in the dvd and watched the movie keeping a keen eye out for a glimpse of the shoulder holster. I took as many shots of the paused film, showing any part of the holster, as I could trying to get every little detail of the holster that was visible on screen. I ordered a black powder replica of an 1849 pocket Colt from Cabelas and once it arrived I started making patterns. I made several representations of the holster until I finally had one I felt was close to what was on screen. A couple of the details on the holster I had to improvise on and interpret what they might actually look like as there were never shots of the holster in the film from that angle. The biggest being the holster as it crosses Josey's back from the left to the right. So the figure eight strap that goes from the main body of the holster over and around the right arm and back to main body to a buckle on my holster is more of an assumption than a definite as to what it actually is. I do not know if this is accurate or not. I would love to find out though! If anyone on here has any information or shots of the actual holster, especially from behind, I would love to update and correct mine. Below are shots of my finished holster. The gun hasn't been weathered yet, but I plan to in the future. And NO I am not converting the gun to fire cartridge blanks like all the guns in the film were.

27411682451_4eeb9ee072_z.jpg
Guns 010 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27384364262_44bed3ef55_z.jpg
Guns 007 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

26874431394_0e2a0007d5_z.jpg
Guns 012 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27411279371_2e7e6b809f_z.jpg
IMG_4701 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27411281711_dbc70b2563_z.jpg
IMG_4685 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27411283401_2b6a6f0bc5_z.jpg
IMG_4683 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

Very nice work, and very nice photography! Welcome, and thanks for sharing such a cool project. Love that flick!!

Hi everyone.

I'm a new member to the forum but not new as a visitor. I've frequented the forums for a couple years now looking for information on certain props I thought about making for my collection. I'm a huge fan of Westerns as well as countless science fiction films. I'm an experienced leather worker and have made several western style holster rigs for cowboy action shooting and concealed carry. I love the old west movie genre. One of my favorite westerns has to be the Outlaw Josey Wales. I've seen countless reproductions of the double gun (main) rig that Clint Eastwood wears throughout the film to carry the two big Colt Walkers, but I had never seen a replica of the shoulder holster that he used to holster the 1849 pocket Colt. So back in 2010 I took on the task of making a replica of the infamous shoulder holster. I researched the net for countless hours and rarely found even a screen shot of it from the movie. So I set up my DSLR in front of the tv one evening, popped in the dvd and watched the movie keeping a keen eye out for a glimpse of the shoulder holster. I took as many shots of the paused film, showing any part of the holster, as I could trying to get every little detail of the holster that was visible on screen. I ordered a black powder replica of an 1849 pocket Colt from Cabelas and once it arrived I started making patterns. I made several representations of the holster until I finally had one I felt was close to what was on screen. A couple of the details on the holster I had to improvise on and interpret what they might actually look like as there were never shots of the holster in the film from that angle. The biggest being the holster as it crosses Josey's back from the left to the right. So the figure eight strap that goes from the main body of the holster over and around the right arm and back to main body to a buckle on my holster is more of an assumption than a definite as to what it actually is. I do not know if this is accurate or not. I would love to find out though! If anyone on here has any information or shots of the actual holster, especially from behind, I would love to update and correct mine. Below are shots of my finished holster. The gun hasn't been weathered yet, but I plan to in the future. And NO I am not converting the gun to fire cartridge blanks like all the guns in the film were.

27411682451_4eeb9ee072_z.jpg
Guns 010 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27384364262_44bed3ef55_z.jpg
Guns 007 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

26874431394_0e2a0007d5_z.jpg
Guns 012 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27411279371_2e7e6b809f_z.jpg
IMG_4701 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27411281711_dbc70b2563_z.jpg
IMG_4685 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

27411283401_2b6a6f0bc5_z.jpg
IMG_4683 by Tim Robbins, on Flickr

Lots of great stuff in that movie..Andy Anderson did all of Clints holsters from spaghetti days to Josey..fantastic work on the holster..I've got the Walker & holster from the movie and just got a short 1860 Army without rammer .can feel a shoulder rig coming on for it..keep it western Pard ..

As for how like the movie one it is I wouldn't worry..it's YOUR version..I've got some western movie rigs , but they are all versions..my DUKE rig has a canvas belt ,his was rough out..my Vin mag 7 Anderson has tie down his didn't, these quirks make them unique..think back to Chrismas when you are a kid , you may have got a cowboy tv show holster and cap gun, not movie correct but you loved it cos it sparked the imagination..I never go tight on the detail and its a lot easier on the head.. remember, if you sharpen a pencil too fine, it breaks..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back