Out of exuses

youngnpred

hey everyone. This will be the start of my first predator sculpture (yay!) I want to create something of my own, but still reminiscent of the predator. Im hoping to go for a closed mouth. However, im having some trouble. Im not sure where to go from here or how to do it. I posted pics so you can see the progress so far. Let me know what you think; good? bad? or just plain ugly. I really appreciate all of your critisims (and praise if any). please feel free to tell me what you honestly think even if you flat out think i should just start over. I would love tips on what to do and any other suggestions. Like i said, although im making my own version of the pred, it still needs to look like a predator. :mad:

thanks again, joshua

381.jpg

so far ive just done the rough structure ps the inner mouth isnt complete lol

381.jpg

More sculpts woohoooooo :mad:

Either way closed or open mouth, the chin needs to be alot smaller ( unless you are going for a Scar tye pred ) just get your 1st stage rough shapes worked out that you are happy with , then you can start on getting the symetry sorted, although NOTHING and NO ones face is perfectly symetrical, so do not go overboard trying to make the left as perfect as the right side etc. just close and no huge diffrences.

do you have any drawings of the kind of pred you are aiming for? easier to advise if we see what you are aiming for.

Congratualtions on getting started as many folks dream of making their own Predator but never get round to it.
Difficult to advise how to proceed without concept pictures but I agree with Usurper that the chin is a bit big.
It all depends how far removed you want to be from the classical Predator form.

Once the basic shape is established I personally wouldn't tinker too much with the mandibles as these are one of his signature features.
May be play around with the crown and dreds or create a real mean looking stare.
Best bit of advice I can give you is get masses of pictures for reference and use these for guidance.

Mind you I haven't completed my own so my advise may be not worth much.

oh no, all advise is welcome! The chin you say? i definately agree. ill decrease the size of that. well, i have one picture that i drew for the design, but im not 100 percent sure if I should do that. Here are some pics of it, its sort of like a 'gilman pred' (i wanted it to have some P2 pizzaz). i appologize for the bad quality pics, i dont have a sccanner so i had to try to take them with my camera and camera phone.

IMG_1648.jpg

(edit)

IMG_1648.jpg

hahaha sorry, i didnt think you could see it. lol
but i fixed it haha

heres another update. I decreased the size of the chin and started the mandibles.

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Here's just a thought.

When facing the model, I think the right brow is very straight, while the left brow has a curve to it and seems to sit alittle higher than the other.

I also think that the center of the head, and the crests on the outside, seem to have a very sharp angle than a smoother transition.

Otherwise, I think it's running along great. I guess those two comments are more symmetrical points of view, but like it was posted before, get your rough shapes in first. Looking good sir!

oh okay, i see what you mean about the eyebrows, and ill see what i can do about the smooth transition.

still too big of a chin??
now do you mean in width? or just all-together?

I agree with what others have said, your a bit lop sided when you look at it head on, the chin does look pretty big,maybe leave the mandibles of till you get your symetry right.
good luck with it, your of to a good start

okay, so i decreased the chin once again. both in width and length. I also, reworked the crown to make it a little more symmetrical, as well as the brows. I also made the crown transitions a little smoother as it was mentioned it was a little rough. I think its at a pretty good point right now. Im going to redo the mandibles (because i thionk i got the shape right) (just so i continue with the progress). I will post a pic as soon as i can, so you can let me know if its still off or what.
thanks guys :mad:

If you go by the 1st 2 preds for facial sizing, they both had pretty small chins, yours is still 50% too big in width and depth in my opinion.

if u make the eyes a little less wide,lower the angle of the eyebrows, make the eyes wider apart and flatten the dome a bit u have urself a good sculpt for casting

hey everyone, i havnt taken any new pic because my sis borrowed the camera on her trip to sacremento.
but im having a terrible time with wrinkles. any tips?
i remember there was a how to forum on it, but i cant find it.

thanks xalener! im going to have to try some of those techniques.
but for now, heres an update. as you can see its still rough. the bumps on his head i put on to make it a little more organic. (note they are not symmetrical; as i intended) The wrinkles i was trying out, im not sure if i like them, so im going to retry them
anyways here we go. Oh! also, the teeth in the mouth were just for reference. hopefuilly i can get a set of P2 teeth somewhere?

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

sorry for the bad quality. the top of the crown has been texturized. i forgot to mention that. and i realize the nose lining is lopsided (oops )
thanks josh

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back