Our Jurassic Park Costume group! (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Mooniteman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Mooniteman

Mooniteman Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

So for my friends going away party (Jurassic Parting) we wanted to surprise her with some fairly accurate (and absurd) Jurassic Park costumes to accompany her spot-on resemblance to Laura Dern. We were not going for 100% - just close enough & fun.

Our costumes recently went midly viral making the front-page of Reddit & Imgur last week. Pretty crazy! (Link to the Reddit post)

I assembled and organized most of the group from things at thrift shops around LA and I made a few things as well. We also borrowed a JP jeep as part of the surprise from a nice fellow who runs the JP Motor Pool named Ari. Swell guy!

Here is what the costumes entailed:

• Dr.Grant (Me) I went a bit more accurate w/ my Dr.Grant Costume getting the right belt pouches/shovel etc. The Jurassic Park Legacy Forums helped a great deal with that! Found a lot at Army Navy stores and ebay. Also made a raptor claw (in no photos sadly).
    • The Dilophosaurus (My girlfriend and Puppy) I just made the skirt - gf made the headpieces.
    • Malcolm: Just found a solid thrift shop shirt and removed the collar. Boom.
    • Dr. Hammond (Made the Cane and assembled stuff from thrift shops)
    • The Blood Sucking Lawyer: Thrift Shops
    • Nedry: Thrift Shops/ Army Navy.
    • Dodgson: nobody cares.

Hammond's Cane: A dremeled wood dowel..

For the amber: Found an egg ornament for the amber and cast it in silicone. This took a crap-ton of trial and error. I made about 5 before I got one right. Could not figure it out to save my life. Was also foolishly casting it inside a 2-part plastic egg rather than just making a silicone mold. Huge mistake.

Mosquito: made from electrical wire and plastic sheet for wings. When I did make the mold it was in 1-part so I took a thin string and glued it to the leg of the mosquito to suspend it in the middle.... it sort of worked. Not totally.

IMG_4692.jpg IMG_4732.jpg IMG_4690.jpg IMG_4604.jpg

Grant's Shovel Pouch: Just some scrap leather and UDigIt Shovel from an Army Navy Store

IMG_4334.jpg

Grant's Hat: 3 Bucks on ebay and glued some Hemp cord together to make his very ugly hat band. These are WIP - turned out pretty good in the end. Also weathered with a lot of watered-down paint.

IMG_4477.jpg IMG_4487.jpg

Enough of this! Here are the group pics!

TFXOG2W-1.jpg gu0zERR-1.jpg qK8Nkwz-1.jpg So08n2H-1.jpg hEY8gQN-1.jpg dFyBMvm-1.jpg A1AMnkB-1.jpg UZ2RfIm-1.jpg

Cheers!
    AJ

Mike J. and SofaKing01 like this.
  2. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic photos! And you're right, your friend does look uncannily like Laura Dern!

Mooniteman likes this.
  3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great pics!!!!!!!!

Looks like you and your friends had a blast!

Mooniteman likes this.
  4. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

You guys are GREAT people! Friends like you are tough to find! Hope you all had a great time and she was able to truly appreciate your efforts / friendship. Bravo! :)

Mooniteman likes this.
  5. Mooniteman

Thanks guys! It was a lot of fun to put together!

6. Emmarine

Emmarine New Member

Everything about this is awesome! :)

Mooniteman likes this.
  7. Mooniteman

Thank you :)