Our flux capacitor...

This is awesome.

I am new here and am not sure if this is a taboo/inappropriate question, so if that is the case I apologize, but about how much would you say it cost to build one of these things? It is pretty high on my list of "Oh I want to make that!" but since I am a newlywed whose wife is in college, money is a bit of an issue.

Well, I definitely had more cash available to me when I made mine than I have available to me now. :)

If I were to estimate the cost of parts alone, (labor is probably somewhere in the range of spendy to freakin' expensive - ;) ), I'd have to roughly estimate stuff from memory...I'll give it a shot.
{This isn't necessarily a part by part breakdown - for instance there are a couple different sizes of acrylic tubing - but what I can recall...}

Enclosure - $100
PVC endcaps - $6
Acrylic tubing - $15
Acrylic half-rounds - $3
Acrylic 1" 'blocks', (for underneath the relays) - $15
1/8" x 12" x 10" plastic sheets - $15
Wire hangers - $3
Various mounting hardware, (bolts, etc) - $15
PVC elbows - $5
Paints - $10
Glues - $10
Battery operated LED lights - $10
Lexan sheet for window - $10
Gasket for window - $25
Labelmaker & tape - $10

So, about $255 - rounded up. You could probably scrounge some of that stuff over time & save some cash, I'd guess.

Hope that helps! :)

Hello I'm a little late to this post.. Hopefully someone will reply. I wanted to know which battery operated led lights you used for this build. Thank you

Hello I'm a little late to this post.. Hopefully someone will reply. I wanted to know which battery operated led lights you used for this build. Thank you

First of all, my apologies for the LONG delay in answering. {I don't log in to the forums much these days.}

Second, I honestly don't recall & didn't take down the info. I wound up buying several different sets, to find something that works. All pretty inexpensive & all takin' AA batteries, (the one I wound up using takes 3). I'll try to see if I can get some nomenclature off o' the battery box for the lights & post it. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back