Our First Sculpt Updated July 31St First Paintup Complete.

Guppstah

Hi all, I am Garry from the UK, my 19 year old daughter pointed me here, and after a few weeks of research we started our first sculpt together yesterday.
Never done anything like this before, we are planning to make a mask each and maybe a bust from the sculpt, but that's way off.
I will post pictures of our progress as we go.
Can anyone point me to a good dreads post, as we want to make everything, not buy, just for the challenge.
We are making a wolf without damage style, well that's the plan at the moment. It's just a head with loads of clay on it right now. But the shape is there.

Looking forward to the weeks to come and the challenge.

Gaz

Ok, here are some pics, absolutely from the start. I didn't want to jump too many stages like others seem to do.
I used a polystyrene head from eBaY £5.80 and we are skulpting using white (ish) Newplast.

As you can see, we have only just started, this is about an hour and a halfs work.

Updates to follow.

Thanks for the Dreads thread, I will be following that up, but don't need them for a while yet. :)

Gaz

DSCF1053.jpg

Nice, great start bud and bud-ette lol its always good to see new sculpts hitting the lair. Looking forward to seeing where this ends up, what kind of clay are you using again?

Keep it up, and keep them updates coming....

Nice, not heard of that. Can't remember how much clay I used on my sculpt - alot, weighed a friggin ton when finished lol. I used Chavant NSP medium which is an oil-based clay, good stuff and reusable but needed to be warmed to be more workable. How easy is newplast to work with?

Nice, not heard of that. Can't remember how much clay I used on my sculpt - alot, weighed a friggin ton when finished lol. I used Chavant NSP medium which is an oil-based clay, good stuff and reusable but needed to be warmed to be more workable. How easy is newplast to work with?

When we started and it was cold, I thought it was going to be impossible. But it soon warmed up and was nice. Just when we ran out of time. Will make sure it's warm next week.

HEY! Alright man. I thinjk this is great that you and your daughter are working on this together. Cannot wait to see more progress pics.

Oh...welcomto the 'Lair'. ;)

Makes me excited to start work on my first sculpt sometime! great work so far, will be interesting to see one of my favourite Predators before he had half his face burnt off.

Nice to make it into a little group project too!

When we started and it was cold, I thought it was going to be impossible. But it soon warmed up and was nice. Just when we ran out of time. Will make sure it's warm next week.

I use a crock pot or slow cooker to warm my clay up and to keep it warm. It works well for me.
Can't wait til' we get him looking more predator-like! I think we can get a lot done next time. Now we've got started :)

Uh, and forgot to say earlier to you both ........... Welcome to the jungle, don't leave the cages open after dark.....

Ok update time, 3 more hours work today and starting to take shape. This is after a total of 5 hours sculpting.

Very pleased with our work so far.

Any tips on getting this oil based clay smooth?

14.JPG

15.JPG

17.JPG

19.JPG

25.JPG

22.JPG

24.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad we've posted pictures from such an early stage, where as a lot of people have posted their 'progress' pictures beginning with a picture with the mask already sculpted, smoothed and fully detailed and perfected, ready to paint. That's fine but it'd be cool to see how it properly started and the methods they used to shape everything. So I'm not embarrassed by where we are at the moment, I'm happy and proud so far :) And i'm glad we're taking the time to sculpt a mask ourselves. At least the predator will my unique to us, even though we're basing it on a wolf predator.. It will still be different to every one else's, and that's what I like. It doesn't really need to be the same as anyone's. You can just make it to be your own :D Chance to be imaginative and have fun with it! :) Looking forward to the next session.

Thanks! =D
Here are some more pics from our last session, Not an update. Just more pictures :)
Next update will probably be next week! Yeah my phone camera isn't so great in quality lol.

Ipswich-20120618-00841.jpg

Ipswich-20120618-00842.jpg

Ipswich-20120618-00843.jpg

Ipswich-20120618-00844.jpg

Ipswich-20120618-00848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back