Our creature work for the Volkswagen Star Wars Superbowl Commercial

I have a question about the Djas Puhr costume.
His waistcoat and gloves look´s like a bit how the Planet of the Apes gorilla coat and gloves. But they are not the same right ?

Too awesome for words!
I watched the commercial knowing only that you guys had done 'something' for VW....and as it's playing I was thinking "OK, that food they're dropping on the floor for the dog...and he's not eating it. THAT must be Tom's work." ...LOL!

Then of course, the Dog part ended and BAM! We're in the Cantina from Star Wars...and that's when it all came together. :lol
Brilliant work bud.
Crazy time line too....wow, but you guys KILLED IT!
Congrats yet again.:thumbsup

David

Looks like you sculpted all new masks!

Were you able to repurpose any of the old masks from you've made and collected from before the job?

Nick

Thanks guys!

David, I told you that you'd know it when you saw it :)

Nick - for a 3 or 4 characters, we drew upon molds we had, but even for those, we made fresh casts, then modified for fit/shape, wearability, visibility (and in some cases, improved accuracy to boot).

Snowmann - those ARE indeed original, screen used Planet of the Apes pieces, reused for the commercial. We sourced them for the production from a client of ours who's a big apes collector. In the original film, they re-used apes wardrobe as well, so it was a nice touch!

best,
Tom

Tom

This is very impressive. You created the environment and mood and it was totally believable.

Would have loved to see Duros. Still kicking myself for not buying that run 10 years ago on this board.

The pilot guy looked awesome. I forget his name.

Was it a real set or CG. Where did they fine all the IG88 heads. It is just so well done.

Wow

PM in the way.

They found all the IG-88 heads at my house! I had two nights to make eight of them. My arms were killing me.

Scott

Blimey!!! Saw this ad just the other day and though to myself how authentic they all looked... I wondered, at the time, if Lucas film had actually allowed the film company involved the use of their molds to make this... But honestly, only Toms company could do this justise and it certainly is justise that they got the gig as they are the best when coming to the Star Wars Aliens.

Tom, when I saw the pics pop up in my fb stream my first reaction was - of course - "Wow, that is some really tight work."
My second, and almost immediate follow up thought was, "How in the HELL did manage not to break that non-disclosure without exploding?" I can't even imagine what that must have been like! Cloud City Torture all over again!

They found all the IG-88 heads at my house! I had two nights to make eight of them. My arms were killing me.

Scott

I'm so glad they did! Those heads made such a huge impact on the set... great stuff!

Blimey!!! Saw this ad just the other day and though to myself how authentic they all looked... I wondered, at the time, if Lucas film had actually allowed the film company involved the use of their molds to make this... But honestly, only Toms company could do this justise and it certainly is justise that they got the gig as they are the best when coming to the Star Wars Aliens.

Phil, I can't tell you how much this means to me (especially coming from you). We were honored to have been a part of it and just grateful for the opportunity.

Tom, when I saw the pics pop up in my fb stream my first reaction was - of course - "Wow, that is some really tight work."
My second, and almost immediate follow up thought was, "How in the HELL did manage not to break that non-disclosure without exploding?" I can't even imagine what that must have been like! Cloud City Torture all over again!

LOL! It helped that we only had a few weeks and a ton to do! We were so busy we didn't have time to tell anyone (but MAN did we want to!)

Thanks again all!

best,
Tom

ha! i saw that and thought wow they are really good, i wonder if they know about the rpf :lol

great work tom.....as usual

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back