Other ideas for Star Trek IV then %@#*&! whales???

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know it's an endeared film to many, and non-Trekkie friendly, nearly a sitcom, but lets forget the whales and the giant cigar cousin of V'GER with a volleyball that would wipe out an entire populated planet over animals that would make for boring conversation about krill.

Were there other rejected script ideas at the time???? Do they exist to read?

Do YOU have an idea about what they could have done then sitcom/whales?? Back to something serious and more, yes.. appropriate for Trek.

Some other way to get Kirk back in the captains chair?

I know it's an endeared film to many, and non-Trekkie friendly, nearly a sitcom, but lets forget the whales and the giant cigar cousin of V'GER with a volleyball that would wipe out an entire populated planet over animals that would make for boring conversation about krill.

Were there other rejected script ideas at the time???? Do they exist to read?

Do YOU have an idea about what they could have done then sitcom/whales?? Back to something serious and more, yes.. appropriate for Trek.

Some other way to get Kirk back in the captains chair?
I thought I was the only one that didn't like Trek IV.

We'd had 3 serious Trek movies, the first dull and utterly humourless, the other two with heavy melodrama - Spock dying, the Enterprise dying, Kirk boldly using profane words he'd never used before etc. So for me it kept the franchise in touch with the OS to have a light one at that point, I thought.

The whole construct of Star Trek 4 was built around Eddie Murphy's involvement. He was supposed to play the marine biologist but backed out in the last minute to be in the movie Best Defense.

I liked it just fine, never knew anyone had problems with it. TOS delt with many issues, and "Save the whales" was a popular issue of the time. The humor also fits with many TOS episodes. And ILM really steped up with some awesome effects work. The score by Leonard Rosenman is probably the only week point. Not that it was a bad score, his scores just sounded too much alike.

Eddie was considered early on, but it was decided the focus would be too much on him, so they dropped the idea.

In my circle, nobody liked it much at all.
I don't want to go into the reasons why really.
I'm just curious what other directions could have been taken instead.
There must have been other ideas at some point.

Could have been much worse. They could have went to a planet with little bears that they recruited to take down the Klingon Empire or something like that.

Yeaaaah. Much worse, and yes I know I'm mixing my movie franchises.

Sorry, he left to do the Golden Child not Best Defense. Somewhere - on youtube (lost my bookmarks) there's a Trek thing where Eddie is interviewed and he says he wished he had done Star Trek 4 but his agent got him more money for Golden Child and the work schedules were outrageously different - Plus, he was given more creative control on Golden Child (in the interview Eddie laughs and says "He can tell jokes, just don't ask him what a plot point is!")

Wow. He turned down Trek for Golden Child. Wow. I could have pictured him in the part of the Marine Biologist. Although it would have been a bit weird seeing him going out for pizza and later kissing Kirk, but then again...everyone succumbs to the sheer manly-manliness that is KIRK.

Yes. Initially they were going to reboot it with younger actors, turn the Enterprise into an ugly "hot rod" with big nacelles and random lamps everywhere. Engineering was going to look like a brewery! Vulcan would be destroyed by band of space pirate Romulans using a plot device called "red matter." Kirk was going to become a total ****** that gets made captain right after graduating the academy.

But the studio passed when they learned that this abomination would cost over a hundred million dollars.

So be thankful, that didn't happen.

Yes. Initially they were going to reboot it with younger actors, turn the Enterprise into an ugly "hot rod" with big nacelles and random lamps everywhere. Engineering was going to look like a brewery! Vulcan would be destroyed by band of space pirate Romulans using a plot device called "red matter." Kirk was going to become a total ****** that gets made captain right after graduating the academy.

But the studio passed when they learned that this abomination would cost over a hundred million dollars.

So be thankful, that didn't happen.

That would totally SUCK. Bad Robot Indeed!

We'd had 3 serious Trek movies, the first dull and utterly humourless, the other two with heavy melodrama - Spock dying, the Enterprise dying, Kirk boldly using profane words he'd never used before etc. So for me it kept the franchise in touch with the OS to have a light one at that point, I thought.

I thought there was great humor in "Wrath of Khan." When Khan is demanding the Genesis information and Kirk says "here it comes" and they disable the Reliant. When Kirk is discussing the Kobayashi Maru test and we find out he beat it by cheating, which is PURE Kirk, I laugh my ass off. When Kirk taunts Khan into following them into the nebulae and Kirk says "well I'll hand this to him, he's consistent."

Yeah, there's heavy melodrama in it, but there is so much more. It's one of the very few instances of a perfect movie as far as I'm concerned.

I thought there was great humor in "Wrath of Khan." When Khan is demanding the Genesis information and Kirk says "here it comes" and they disable the Reliant. When Kirk is discussing the Kobayashi Maru test and we find out he beat it by cheating, which is PURE Kirk, I laugh my ass off. When Kirk taunts Khan into following them into the nebulae and Kirk says "well I'll hand this to him, he's consistent."

Yeah, there's heavy melodrama in it, but there is so much more. It's one of the very few instances of a perfect movie as far as I'm concerned.

I'm with you. There is so much information coming at you but it's handled with perfect timing - it never feels episodic.

Kirk coming to terms with his age
training mission
Khan and who he is
Khan planting the bugs
The Genesis device
Kirk's son

and that's just a few....

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back