OT Lightsaber buying guide

Tom1971

Sr Member
I was asked by one of our most awesomest members about Lightsaber options and after I got done I figured I would throw it up here.

Please feel free to add in or correct anything I missed.

Thanks

Tom

For ANH or AFB Obi:

Roman like I just got. Don't bother looking anywhere else. He is the Obi Man. $500. Get the FX kit as you can then turn it into a reveal, add electronics, etc. It's only a small bit more and then you have options down the road. Goes together in 30 seconds.

http://www.romanprops.com/fxkits

For Obi Reveal I already bought this so just waiting for them to finish making them. They are gonna make a rear section as well down the line.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=244213

Light up crystal switch set. I also have this coming:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246383

For any Luke OT from ANH or ESB:

You have two options. Forget any other replicas. Get on Roman's list. It's gonna be around $200 and you won't be able to tell it from a real one.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=238355

For a real Graflex you have Ebay. They had maxed out at $300 before the first trailer that confirmed not only would Luke's ESB version be in the movie (With one small flaw) but it was made from a real genuine Graflex. After that they shot through the roof going for $700 to over 1k. They have come back down. I caved and got a Genuine Graflex mint for $500 a month or so ago and that is as good as you are likely to get.

They will likely go up when the film comes out and may stay or may eventually come back down but $300 days are gone. My guess is as more people get into this with the new film and the supply drying up they will never be less than $500 to $600 and likely will stay above that.

For a quick down and dirty reference of the differences in ANH, ESB, and TFA Luke sabers see here.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240987&page=3

For a really awesome FX version that can quickly be changed from ANH, to ESB, to TFA go here. I have one of these on the way as well.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241677

Korbanth is awesome. I have had 4 or 5 things of his and love them.

For the famous and incredibly Ugly Luke V2 you can do this one. Anakin Starkiller's is the best. You will need parts from Roman and Roy to finish it and stencils.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=238654

Paint stencils:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245118

Circuit Cards:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241789

For a FX V2 that can also be made into an incredible reveal go here:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=243450

For all your Luke ANH, ESB, TFA, V2 finishing needs. Plus Vader ANH, ESB as well

http://wannawanga.com/shop/

Skip all Master Replicas for Luke, Vader and Obi OT. Way to overpriced. You can get a real Graflex for less than the inaccurate MR.

Vader ANH. When they ever get them back in stock

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Replica-MPP-flash-with-grips-P1067.aspx

You can convert one of these to a ESB Vader easy. These are incredibly accurate replicas of the MPP flash handles used for Vader's sabers.

Roy @ wannawanga has a great upgrade Vader shroud as well.

For Vader ROTJ:

You have several options. It's never seen on his belt in the film but is shown in promos, it is believed to be the ESB hero. He also uses a ESB hero type of one in the dueling scene.

He also uses in the dueling scene the classic Vader ROTJ version that became the "official" version. That's the ROTJ Master Replicas version/Stunt version, etc. So you can go either way for those.

Korbanth is going to do an FX ROTJ version (The "Official" one like MR did) in the new year. I had one form his last run and it was awesome!!

Roman is going to be doing a kit version using his new Graflex Replica as a base which will make it perfectly accurate as the Vader ROTJ stunt/"Official" version is made from a vintage Graflex.

That covers all OT sabers I believe.

Tom

Last edited:
Forgot Luke ROTJ Hero/ISYHCANLS (I see you have created a new lightsaber) Versions.

Korbanth is going to be offering a FX version possibly in the new year. However the skinny front part means on some FX version sometimes that has to be thicker thus accuracy is sacrificed. I don't know Korbanth/Randy''s plans on that.

Anakin Starkiller who makes the current awesome V2s is thinking of making the Hero ROTJ Luke after his second run of V2s. I will be getting one of those for sure.

My beloved EFX ROTJ Luke Reveal. Some very strange people who live in an odd world did not like this saber, got rid of them (They go for 1k so I am guessing they regret that). I have no idea why because it is the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!! prop replica ever made. It is awesome. If you don't love it I am sorry to say you are doomed. Sadly they do go for about 1k. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a lot more but when all is said and done 1k is gonna be it.

Rylo's Luke ROTJ Hero Reveal is considered the ultimate. I personally prefer the EFX for several reasons but Rylo's is widely considered better built (He swears he will never do another run because it was so much work). Last one I saw went for $1,800 and they do not come up much.

All MR OT sabers are great but have shot up to insane amounts and thus cost more than a real one. Literally you can make a Luke ANH or ESB with a real Graflex for less than the MR.

They are awesome but way to overpriced when they are many better, more accurate, and cheaper options for their OT saber line.

Tom

From what I've read, TCSS' Vader ANH sabers are from Parks and he's discontinued making the static Luke/Vader hilts in favor for exchangeable and FX-ready hilts. Whatever TCSS carries from him is going to be from whatever he has left in stock before it runs dry.

So, as an addendum, I would add that when you can't get those replicas anymore, and can't afford a genuine MPP on the rare chance that it pops up for sale, I'd offer the substitute Heiland and the work that needs to be reminiscent of the Vader sabers.

very well put together thread! this should be a sticky

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I've read, TCSS' Vader ANH sabers are from Parks and he's discontinued making the static Luke/Vader hilts in favor for exchangeable and FX-ready hilts. Whatever TCSS carries from him is going to be from whatever he has left in stock before it runs dry.

So, as an addendum, I would add that when you can't get those replicas anymore, and can't afford a genuine MPP on the rare chance that it pops up for sale, I'd offer the substitute Heiland and the work that needs to be reminiscent of the Vader sabers.

Last I saw Parks rep was not so good. No returned messages, claiming things are in stock but are not, people not getting stuff or taking forever.

It shows his MPP replica in stock. Just a regular replica and not an FX version. $150. I would snag one if I new I was gonna get it and was sure he had not been screwing people over????

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I just checked after you add to cart and it says 8 to 12 weeks on all of these sabers. Is that accurate?????

Has he fulfilled all his orders or more simply put should we deal with him???

Thanks Tom.....I , like so many others are discovering some awesome builds on these sabers...this is going to help me and others in the future...when I can afford to start this new collecting of sabers more accurate then MR or FX....this is great that you would give us better insight on these prop makers....truly is kind of you sir

Thanks Tom.....I , like so many others are discovering some awesome builds on these sabers...this is going to help me and others in the future...when I can afford to start this new collecting of sabers more accurate then MR or FX....this is great that you would give us better insight on these prop makers....truly is kind of you sir

Thanks Guy but truthfully I just put the list together in about 15 minutes. The work these guys have put into discovering, designing, etc. these saber facts and designs astounds me. They deserve all the credit for amazing work.

I was just watching SoloHold's video of the prototype V2 FX which can also be a reveal and holy good goodness it's amazing.

Tom

Well that's true ....but this thread is a quick learner this is....and believe me...it points everyone in the right direction to find these remarkable propmakers and learn who makes what....so you just saved alot of people in the future to asking others... Who makes their desired prop sabers...so you just saved 10 years of added threads for questions. :lol :D....

I thought just the Parks Graflex was getting the FX overhaul and at least for the time being, the MPP was still a real MPP replica?

From what I've read, he had to buy an enormous stock for his replicas to have been made originally but the tooling required to continue to make them is no more. I don't know if this applied to all of his replicas and the convertable FX treatment to all sabers but, yes, for the time being, the MPP replicas are real replicas. Until his supply runs out, of course, and I'm sure an FX version would replace it.

Great thread about lightsabers. :thumbsup And this comes from a guy who doesn't collect sabers, and still read every word

From what I've read, he had to buy an enormous stock for his replicas to have been made originally but the tooling required to continue to make them is no more. I don't know if this applied to all of his replicas and the convertable FX treatment to all sabers but, yes, for the time being, the MPP replicas are real replicas. Until his supply runs out, of course, and I'm sure an FX version would replace it.

Well that's just great...

...I guess it's up to Roman to save us.

Great thread about lightsabers. :thumbsup And this comes from a guy who doesn't collect sabers, and still read every word

Thank you.

Yeah, your just the guy who has the helmet collection I dream of. :love:popcorn

I had 19 helmets. I got down to one. Have two now and number 3 is on the way. I will have 20 or so when I am done so still not as much as you I think but close :)

Thank you.

Yeah, your just the guy who has the helmet collection I dream of. :love:popcorn

I had 19 helmets. I got down to one. Have two now and number 3 is on the way. I will have 20 or so when I am done so still not as much as you I think but close :)

I have 21 helmets, but I only collect OT Imperials. :) Of course Tom you can go Rebels, Bounty Hunters, PT/CW Clones and TFA and thus get dozens and dozens more. Will be following your collection thread

I have 21 helmets, but I only collect OT Imperials. :) Of course Tom you can go Rebels, Bounty Hunters, PT/CW Clones and TFA and thus get dozens and dozens more. Will be following your collection thread

Helmets are my favorite. I had 22 lightsabers but really about 8 are family and the rest cousins. A Studio Scale Falcon. Two or three blasters, maybe four or so additional blasters if things go well but I must have all my helmets. They are priority.

I've got:

Shadow Stormy

AT AT will be 1/1 costume

On the way:

Tie Pilot will be 1/1 costume

On the list:

EFX Stormy ESB

Biker Scout

Royal Guard

Vader ANH

Vader ESB

Vader ROTJ 1/1 full costume

Vader Reveal

Vader RMQ

RMQ Stormy

Boba Fett ROTJ 1/1 full costume

EFX ESB Boba Fett If they ever do it.

Boba Fett RMQ V1

Boba Fett RMQ V2

Imperial Fleet Trooper

Death Star Gunner

Snowtrooper

1/1 Stormy (Not sure which brand but ANH style)

Clonetrooper AOTC

Clonetrooper ROTS

Clone Captain

Luke X wing

Depending on how things go:

501st Clontrooper ROTS

Commander Cody

ROTJ Stormy

Masks:

Tusken

Admiral Ackbar

If TFA does not suck:

Ep 7 Stormy I love having the AOTC and ROTS clones in a row with a OT Stormy and then I may have the Ep7 Stormy. The evolution of the stormy.

So 24 helmets for sure. Two masks and possibly one to four more helmets.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to go off topic but any excuse to discuss and list my helmet wants :)

Tom

I know quite some time has passed since this post was initially made, but first I have to say thank you for all the detailed information. It's really an amazing help, and I'm one button click from buying a Roman Prop, however, I really did want a unit (similar to Parks) that can light with an LED tube/blade etc.

Can Roman's be customized (not too difficultly) in such a manner or are they already capable of doing this?

I know quite some time has passed since this post was initially made, but first I have to say thank you for all the detailed information. It's really an amazing help, and I'm one button click from buying a Roman Prop, however, I really did want a unit (similar to Parks) that can light with an LED tube/blade etc.

Can Roman's be customized (not too difficultly) in such a manner or are they already capable of doing this?
BLACK FRIDAY SALE!!! FX: Weathered Kit: 40% OFF!!! - Roman Props | Roman's Empire This is the one you want. FX ready and on sale for black Friday to boot.

Hi Scarf Man, thank you very much, that was one I was considering, but I must admit I was hoping for one of the Skywalker (possibly his ESB version).

It might be a case that I buy the ESB version simply as a display piece to get my collection off the ground.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back