Original Vader costumes.

Thanks for the pic's so far, really nice to see some new one's.

I'm blown away by how few Vader costume photo's seem to exist of the original costume considering how HUGE Vader became after ANH and continued to be through the whole original trilogy.

This whole Vader thing has almost become mythology.

Rumour, hearsay, a friend of a friend once knew a guy who drove a cab who spoke to Don Bies in 1980 (blah blah blah) ...

Why is there so little information and documentation about the most iconic sci-fi villain ever?

JB (Vader Guy) did have one great idea, he spoke of writing an article on DV for SW Insider, all the "facts" from the "original" Vader designers and creators.
I would love to have this info, and I'd be happy to buy a Chronicles style book all about Vader and only Vader.

Come on guys, back me up here :) Am I the only one ...

One of the obvious problems with JB is that he embellishes his stories way too much.

The idea to write this article has been around a long time however. It wasn't really JB's idea. More than one member have tossed the idea around, but nobody has actually done all the footwork. Bingobongo has come the closest of anyone I've met. He continues daily to gather information from those associated with the UK production crew on ANH.

Dave :)

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Jan 9 2006, 12:36 PM
One of the obvious problems with JB is that he embellishes his stories way too much. 

The idea to write this article has been around a long time however.  It wasn't really JB's idea.  More than one member have tossed the idea around,  but nobody has actually done all the footwork.    Bingobongo has come the closest of anyone I've met.  He continues daily to gather information from those associated with the UK production crew on ANH.

[snapback]1154380[/snapback]​

Yep, JB is a "@#$%. artist", but great idea none the less, even if it wasn't his own ;).

Jez, keep on it pal, and thanks on behalf of all Vader nuts out there.

Alan.

Originally posted by Fatherless One@Jan 9 2006, 12:19 PM
Why is there so little information and documentation about the most iconic sci-fi villain ever?
[snapback]1154377[/snapback]​

I believe the information exists, the problem is the people who possess it.

Originally posted by RKW+Jan 9 2006, 01:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ Jan 9 2006, 01:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Fatherless One
@Jan 9 2006, 12:19 PM

[snapback]1154397[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hmmmmmmmmm

Whay do they do this ...... ?

RKW, I think you are correct, but that's only part of the problem. The biggest problem as I see is is actually gathering the information to one location. Lots of people have tidbits of information (some credible, some questionable), but it is scattered. We need to draw it all into one place, where it can be updated as newer information comes available. It's the oldest SW film out there, yet we've gleaned more information about that costume and origins this past year than any year previously.

Originally posted by Fatherless One+Jan 9 2006, 01:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fatherless One @ Jan 9 2006, 01:31 PM)</div>
Originally posted by RKW@Jan 9 2006, 01:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fatherless One
@Jan 9 2006, 12:19 PM

[snapback]1154397[/snapback]​

Hmmmmmmmmm

Whay do they do this ...... ?
[snapback]1154400[/snapback]​
[/b]

I believe some of it is because LFL owns it and either don't realise they own it or can't be bothered releasing it. The other is the private collectors who I think own the biggest contributions are only interested in their own enjoyment/investment. They see no return in just sharing the information. Unfortunately everything has a price.

Lastly the cynic in me thinks some people hold onto information to hide their actions.

Originally posted by vaderdarth@Jan 9 2006, 01:32 PM
RKW,  I think you are correct,  but that's only part of the problem.  The biggest problem as I see is is actually gathering the information to one location.  Lots of people have tidbits of information (some credible,  some questionable),  but it is scattered.  We need to draw it all into one place,  where it can be updated as newer information comes available.    It's the oldest SW film out there,  yet we've gleaned more information about that costume and origins this past year than any year previously. 

[snapback]1154401[/snapback]​

Agreed, so where does one start, looks like we kinda have I hope.

Originally posted by SithLord+Jan 8 2006, 07:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Jan 8 2006, 07:04 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-tylerdurden_soap_maker
@Jan 8 2006, 12:58 PM
It's not mythology. I'm friends with the FX professional who helped "Mr.P's" wife sell his collection. "Mr.P" did a lot of side work for DPS, which is how he came in the possession of the suit various other SW goodies.

I wasn't sure if the story could be corraborated by someone here...good to hear. Do you know who Mrs. P sold the suit to?

Ya the JJ suit looks ROTJ...but I don't think the capes/cod are original and the helmet/armor might be but could also be copies of originals...why repaint them?

:cheers,

T
[snapback]1153905[/snapback]​
[/b]

YES. Where is the original ANH suit? Someone must know...

I have personally seen the JJ Vader costume and handled the helmet during a SW convention in the Netherlands about 10 years ago. Although I personally don't like that guy very much, I do think that the helmet was original (I've handled some original helmets during my visit of the LFL archives back in 1995). The rest of the costume looked like c%$p.

Tom

Originally posted by vadermania+Jan 9 2006, 02:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vadermania @ Jan 9 2006, 02:30 PM)</div>
Originally posted by SithLord@Jan 8 2006, 07:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tylerdurden_soap_maker
@Jan 8 2006, 12:58 PM
It's not mythology. I'm friends with the FX professional who helped "Mr.P's" wife sell his collection. "Mr.P" did a lot of side work for DPS, which is how he came in the possession of the suit various other SW goodies.

I wasn't sure if the story could be corraborated by someone here...good to hear. Do you know who Mrs. P sold the suit to?

Ya the JJ suit looks ROTJ...but I don't think the capes/cod are original and the helmet/armor might be but could also be copies of originals...why repaint them?

:cheers,

T
[snapback]1153905[/snapback]​

YES. Where is the original ANH suit? Someone must know...

I have personally seen the JJ Vader costume and handled the helmet during a SW convention in the Netherlands about 10 years ago. Although I personally don't like that guy very much, I do think that the helmet was original (I've handled some original helmets during my visit of the LFL archives back in 1995). The rest of the costume looked like c%$p.

Tom
[snapback]1154426[/snapback]​
[/b]

Got any pic's to share Tom?

[/quote]

[snapback]1154427[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Uh, got me. I didn't take pics, but I can ask my friend Tom from Hollywood Hardware, he was with me that day. Can't even remember if it was allowed to take pics. JJ had so much junk on display and for sale, such as parts from podracers, spaceship interiors, Mos Espa parts, carpet bits from Palpatine's office etc. etc....

BTW, I remember that he told me that the Vader costume he showed there was his SECOND costume. The other one he has was supposed to be in much better condition...

Tom

[snapback]1154427[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Uh, got me. I didn't take pics, but I can ask my friend Tom from Hollywood Hardware, he was with me that day. Can't even remember if it was allowed to take pics. JJ had so much junk on display and for sale, such as parts from podracers, spaceship interiors, Mos Espa parts, carpet bits from Palpatine's office etc. etc....

BTW, I remember that he told me that the Vader costume he showed there was his SECOND costume. The other one he has was supposed to be in much better condition...

Tom
[snapback]1154435[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Tom, ask Tom ;)

Bump

@clanger68

Andy, pics no worky :cry
Maybe you want to have the Whackychimp host them ?

Thanks for contributing ...
Michael

Hopefully, thanks to wackychimp, these should work.

vaderfulllength.jpg

vaderwaistrpf.jpg

The only others I have Jeremy (gonk27) has already posted.

Sorry for the delay.

Andy.

Did any of you guys attend the Elstree 'Star Wars' Day where the Original Trilogy was
screened? I think it was 94 or 95 ?

Anyway Jason Joiner had all his suits and bits in a room upstairs you had to que to
get into. But, downstairs he had an " 'ANH' " Vader helmet. did anyone get a picture of that or remember it? Dave Prowse was there as well.

I think I have a brochure from it somewhere.

:thumbsup

When I visited ILM there was a Vader on display there. I was told it was a ROTJ outfit, but unfortunately I was neither allowed to take pictures nor examine it too long (it was a bit into an area only ILM staff can go to). They let me have a quick peek at it and I could see the ROTJ style of the helmet and armor, but that was about all I could see.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back