Original Vader costumes.

Jeremy,

JJ had that same suit at last Novembers Empire convention in Cheshunt.

In all honesty, it didn't look right at all, and he did say that the chest box had been repainted.

Really wanted to get a pic of it, and some of his other props, but he wouldn't allow photos to be taken... plus he had a few people making sure no-one took pics. :angry

There is another.... (bad Yoda quote, I know :p)

There is an ROTJ 'stunt' helmet in a private collection, with clear tinted cheeks, jaw etc. (similar concept to the ESB 'fencing mask')
I've seen it in person and it's *very* impressive (although it looks like it was involved ina fair amount of stunt work, as there were numerous chips 'n' scrapes on it)

As for Jason Joiner's Vader suit... he had it on a QVC (UK) Shopping Channel Star Wars special 5 or 6 years back IIRC. It was on a mannequin display in the studio, and in between hawking 'limited edition lithographs' and other tasteless, licensed sh.te the presenter would ask JJ about his Vader and collection in general.

Unfortunately I didn't record it, but I remember JJ telling an anecdote about how he got the Vader costume... I think it came from several sources, but the leather bodysuit was recovered from the garage of a crew-member from ESB, where it had been stored in a cardboard box since 1979. When they opened it up, the leather had mould all over it, but he bought it from the guy and managed to clean it up.
Although I was into Star Wars when I saw the programme, I really didn't pay much attention to the Vader costume as my main vice then was *Stormtroopers*. :lol
I think he also had the Duros mask in when he guest-presented on another of the QVC (UK) Star Wars specials?

Cheers,
John

PS - I was fortunate enough to visit Planet Hollywood in NYC last Summer, and thought I was in for a treat with SW props on display... they have one of the *worst* Darth Vader replica costumes on display that I've ever seen. :thumbsdown
The plaque beside it stated that it was 'reproduction', as was the Chewbacca costume beside it... what a rip. :cry

It may be worth you talking to Peter Botwiright at Leather concesionaires (was weasted leather)
they made the bond and Indi Jackets and also the leatherwork for Vader I believe, He will know how many he made

Doug

Weren't there a number of questionable SW items in that 95 Christies sale?

Re: Wested Leather. When I visited a few years ago, Peter and his assistant (whose name I cannot recall) asked us about JJ. Apparently they knew him well, as he had comissioned several Vader suits in recent years.

-Brandon

Oopsey, I got the year wrong.. This stunt ESB helmet was lot no 577 at the auction I mentioned where it fetched £2,800 the lots in the auction you're referring to Brandon in 95 only went up to 551.

So this ESB must have sold a couple of years before I guess - I've only got a grainy photocopy of it's catalogue page and the year's not mentioned.

But you're right there were some items of shady origin in the 95 Christies sale I think....

Jeremy

It's not mythology. I'm friends with the FX professional who helped "Mr.P's" wife sell his collection. "Mr.P" did a lot of side work for DPS, which is how he came in the possession of the suit various other SW goodies.

Originally posted by SithLord@Jan 8 2006, 02:04 AM
I have heard different versions of the story about that Kermit suit. It is a screen suit (Tantive IV) of course and the helmet is _the_ screen helmet as far as I can tell. Don Post studios was in California...so the suit would have to have been shipped from the UK. It would make sense that it would remain as LFL property but LFL doesn't have that helmet in its possession. Who started the story about someone owning/stealing/taking that screen suit? I heard the person's wife sold it for a song back then but it's still mythology to me...at one point I heard that John Mollo had it but that turned out to be unreliable information.

:cheers,

Thomas
[snapback]1153675[/snapback]​

Originally posted by TK/TB6540@Jan 8 2006, 01:30 PM
Jeremy,

JJ had that same suit at last Novembers Empire convention in Cheshunt.

In all honesty, it didn't look right at all, and he did say that the chest box had been repainted.

Really wanted to get a pic of it, and some of his other props, but he wouldn't allow photos to be taken...  plus he had a few people making sure no-one took pics.  :angry
[snapback]1153755[/snapback]​

I honestly cannot understand why JJ is like that :rolleyes If Lucas himself lets people take pictures of all kinds of stuff at MOM tours etc why is JJ so defensive?I seriously think that guy has a lot to hide and isnt,how shall i say it....truthful about the true legitamacy of some of the props he claims are real.Ive heard a lot of rumours about him and to be honest,i wouldnt trust anything he says.

Originally posted by gonk27@Jan 8 2006, 01:11 PM
The same suit at the Luton exhibit. (Bad photo by me.)

Jeremy

(Thanks Wackychimp)
[snapback]1153752[/snapback]​

Jeremy, post... more... pics ... :D

And JJ knows quite well why he doesn´t allow photography anymore :lol

Michael

:lol That's all I have I think Michael.

I had one of the shin guards somewhere but couldn't find it ealier.

Putting aside most of this costume I do love the helmet and shoulder armour.

Jeremy

Originally posted by gonk27@Jan 8 2006, 05:43 PM
:lol  That's all I have I think Michael.

I had one of the shin guards somewhere but couldn't find it ealier.

Putting aside most of this costume I do love the helmet and shoulder armour.

Jeremy
[snapback]1153854[/snapback]​

Ack, what a shame ... Does your mate probably have more pics ? And the shin guard would be really interesting .

Thanks,
Michael

Originally posted by gonk27@Jan 8 2006, 01:11 PM
joiner1.jpg

jjoiner2.jpg

...(Thanks Wackychimp)
[snapback]1153752[/snapback]​

Are there no detail pieces on top of the rods ? And the gloves look like really cheap motorbike gloves :\

Michael

Originally posted by GINO@Jan 8 2006, 01:03 AM
Sansweet's vader is not all original film used.
The set that Don Bies repainted either was not ever original film used or it has been so heavily modified that it can no longer be considered original.
[snapback]1153483[/snapback]​

So what's your opinion on the Amy White suit? Personally I've not seen it.

Regarding the JJ suit the helmet looks to me to be from ROTJ. The stitching on the arms looks wierd though as if its been made to fit a smaller person.

Originally posted by ManfromNaboo@Jan 8 2006, 06:13 PM

Are there no detail pieces on top of the rods ? And the gloves look like really cheap motorbike gloves :\

Michael
[snapback]1153867[/snapback]​

Correct Michael, there are no detail bits on top of the rods, there's a 'patch' in the paintwork above the left rod where it looks like a detail piece used to be. And yes, the biker gloves must be there as substitues for the originals. Also the red rocker switch has red chrome tape on it, although I think the silver ones are painted.

My shin guard photo seems to have been misplaced just now, I'll add it if I find it - it's a bit blurry though. I've PM'ed clanger68 to see if he has any more photos.

Jeremy :)

This gels with the detailed info I know about "Mr P" and his Vader suit too. The suit supposedly went for a song back in 1990 or 91, if I remember.

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker@Jan 8 2006, 08:58 AM
It's not mythology. I'm friends with the FX professional who helped "Mr.P's" wife sell his collection. "Mr.P" did a lot of side work for DPS, which is how he came in the possession of the suit various other SW goodies.

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker@Jan 8 2006, 12:58 PM

I wasn't sure if the story could be corraborated by someone here...good to hear. Do you know who Mrs. P sold the suit to?

Ya the JJ suit looks ROTJ...but I don't think the capes/cod are original and the helmet/armor might be but could also be copies of originals...why repaint them?

:cheers,

T

Does anyone have any better pictures of that Amy White suit?

Can't really make much out on that ToysRGus site. Is it viewable to the public?

Originally posted by RKW@Jan 8 2006, 01:22 PM
Does anyone have any better pictures of that Amy White suit?

Can't really make much out on that ToysRGus site. Is it viewable to the public?
[snapback]1153919[/snapback]​

If anyone has contact info for her or her husband Rick I'd appreciate a PM as I have
been wanting to contact them for the last couple years and my old info isn't current. (Or
they're just not responding..?) As far as I know, the suit is not viewable, their collection is private
but certainly extends beyond what they listed at ToysRGus. I believe they were the couple that initially bought the Maul stunt saber from the 9/11 Lucasfilm auction and the JJ helped them sell it at a significant loss a year or so later on ebay. JJ told me one of the few times we spoke that he had been the person to help broker some of their sales and purchases. He doesn't respond to my attempts at contact either...?

I can ask, but he wasn't involved in the sale of that item. Numerous pieces were sold at ridiculously low prices before his involvement, so he wouldn't have let the Vader go or be sold at that price.

Originally posted by SithLord@Jan 8 2006, 07:04 PM
Ya the JJ suit looks ROTJ...but I don't think the capes/cod are original and the helmet/armor might be but could also be copies of originals...why repaint them?

Didn't JJ have his ANH stormtrooper helmet repainted (very poorly) as well. Maybe at the time of purchase they were in poor condition and his judgment was poor so he decided on reconditioning the items to look more like they did on the screen.

Cheers Chris.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back