Original V2 switch

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In order to not detract from the current V2 run thread - lets talk about the V2's original condition!

Toggle switches? it looks more straight and thin than cone shaped to me

- - - Updated - - -

actually, I'm wrong, it IS the classical cone shaped toggle switch
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 10.38.54 PM.png

Red guitar toggle switches are around
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Way-Togg...ysAAOSwv-NWajQd:sc:USPSFirstClass!14222!US!-1

Attachments

• V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Good idea for a new thread :thumbsup I was worried the switch discussions would derail the v2 stuff.
I think that's the exact photo I've been digging through my archives looking for.
It does, kinda, look like a push button switch.

Yes! Finally the red switch thread!!

I have been looking for a while, this is such a hard find online because you can’t see the physical size...

And the hole has to be small enough so the cone knob covers it

I seem to have found switches to large, and switches to small...

“That just right switch” is a hard porridge to find..

Reading over my last post, I must correct my thought. It kinda looks like a push button switch.... but I do believe it's a toggle switch. Long day at work with no sleep, makes posting....something something.
IMG_1058.JPG

So you guys are thinking it's a Les Paul's 3 way switch? Why wouldn't they use just a simple on/off?
I was looking at something like this.
IMG_1059.JPG

Reading over my last post, I must correct my thought. It kinda looks like a push button switch.... but I do believe it's a toggle switch. Long day at work with no sleep, makes posting....something something.
View attachment 805766

So you guys are thinking it's a Les Paul's 3 way switch? Why wouldn't they use just a simple on/off?
View attachment 805767

Nice work!

Yeah, it's unlikely anyone would dismantle a guitar just for a switch.

View attachment 805767

that´s exactly the switch I used on my build(s) :thumbsup

I think the switch looks right but something makes me think it's not. The hang up for me is that how would you get the switch in the saber? There isn't room to mount it, or move it. Maybe toggle switch or a momentary switch, but even then not room to mount it.

I think the switch looks right but something makes me think it's not. The hang up for me is that how would you get the switch in the saber? There isn't room to mount it, or move it. Maybe toggle switch or a momentary switch, but even then not room to mount it.

More then enough room in starkiller’s v2

I don't know, something doesn't sit right with me on it. Another thought I had is why would they use a toggle switch? You know what it reminds me of is a pot. Later when it becomes Lukes stunt, it even looks like they put a guitar tone knob on it. It also makes sense that they would use a pot, that way they could adjust the speed of the motor. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

More then enough room in starkiller’s v2

I don't know, something doesn't sit right with me on it. Another thought I had is why would they use a toggle switch? You know what it reminds me of is a pot. Later when it becomes Lukes stunt, it even looks like they put a guitar tone knob on it. It also makes sense that they would use a pot, that way they could adjust the speed of the motor. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

I hear ya buddy, Luke’s stunt had a big white button on it. These were built at the same time, and there was never any consistency with any of them. No potentiometer’s on luke, just a cheap lamp push button.

It would make total sense to have a potentiometer on these things to fine tune the speeds, but I think these were built like everything else, rush job

And with this rush job they failed

A guitar switch is much larger then some toggle switches, I wouldn’t be surprised if this switch is another common house hold switch like the white button is on the luke stunt

I’m really not looking for original, I’m looking for something as close as I can get

stumbled upon those red silicone tips for toggle switches, just need to find a switch the right size

I hear ya buddy, Luke’s stunt had a big white button on it. These were built at the same time, and there was never any consistency with any of them. No potentiometer’s on luke, just a cheap lamp push button.

It would make total sense to have a potentiometer on these things to fine tune the speeds, but I think these were built like everything else, rush job

And with this rush job they failed

A guitar switch is much larger then some toggle switches, I wouldn’t be surprised if this switch is another common house hold switch like the white button is on the luke stunt

I’m really not looking for original, I’m looking for something as close as I can get

stumbled upon those red silicone tips for toggle switches, just need to find a switch the right size

Plus I'm sure I read somewhere that Alec Guiness slowed down the speed of the saber with his finger - that's why he gripped it around the neck.

So yeah, I reckon no potentiometer was used.

It looks more like a push in and "click" to turn on, push in "click" to turn off....type button to me.....y'know...like the end of a pen?

Rich

That's the beauty of building our own props. If we put on, what we find out later to be, a wrong part... well, we can simply swap out the incorrect part for the correct one :D. & since we put it together, we'll know how to take it apart, fix it, & put it back together. & in doing so, we increase its accuracy & value. It's a win win!
If you "crack open" a licensed Master Replica piece, for example, say by by to the value.

Yeah, it's unlikely anyone would dismantle a guitar just for a switch.

I don't think they used a guitar switch either, but as far as them dismantling one to use a switch? They dismantled an entire jet engine to use for set dressing and props. A guitar would be nothing. Not to mention where ever this switch did come from, its most likely something they just had lying around.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back