Original styled Red Robin cowl

captblitzdawg

I am looking to convert a Batman cowl (one from Batman V Superman) into a Red Robin cowl. The ears on the mask are hollow but very short. My initial idea is to cut along the lines of the ears so it makes three flaps. Then I would lay the top flap down, cut away from the other two flaps whatever is covered up and use those pieces on the inside to brace the pieces across the cutlines. Is there another approach that may work better? Would plastidip be good to fill and seal any gaps from the cutting and piecing together?

Thanks in advance!

I cut and laid down the ears. A couple of layers of plastidip were applied to hide the seams and black spray paint was put over that. The problem I am having now is it seems to be very sticky in some places. I haven't encountered this before. Any suggestions on how to dry it out or cure it thouroughly? Thank you.

I cut and laid down the ears. A couple of layers of plastidip were applied to hide the seams and black spray paint was put over that. The problem I am having now is it seems to be very sticky in some places. I haven't encountered this before. Any suggestions on how to dry it out or cure it thouroughly? Thank you.

If you can provide pics, that is always helpful. If not, don't worry about it.

How quickly did you apply the black spray paint? Plasti-Dip takes a few hours to dry/cure. If you put too many thick layers on top of one another before they dried, or if you spray painted it before the Plasti-Dip fully cured, that could be what is making it so sticky. I recommend giving it a couple days to see if it dries on its own. It might just take longer. Though, I see that I am responding to your post from several days ago. If there has been no progress thus far, you may want to gently sand off the paint and see what's going on underneath. Also, what is the cowl made of?

If you can provide pics, that is always helpful. If not, don't worry about it.

How quickly did you apply the black spray paint? Plasti-Dip takes a few hours to dry/cure. If you put too many thick layers on top of one another before they dried, or if you spray painted it before the Plasti-Dip fully cured, that could be what is making it so sticky. I recommend giving it a couple days to see if it dries on its own. It might just take longer. Though, I see that I am responding to your post from several days ago. If there has been no progress thus far, you may want to gently sand off the paint and see what's going on underneath. Also, what is the cowl made of?
The mask is still sticky, ironically not where the Plastidip is thickest. The mask is either rubber or vinyl.

20181116_222711.jpg

The Red Robin cowl turned out pretty well despite the problems. It was fun to go back over this cosplay and upgrade it almost completely.

Attachments

• red robin profile.jpg
    red robin profile.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 729
  • 46795614_284662495573966_2008452496181238144_n.jpg
    46795614_284662495573966_2008452496181238144_n.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 400
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back