Original Stormtrooper Helmets

JoeR

Sr Member
What helmets are out there - that we know of?

I know of 7 ROTJ Helmets in private collections of which three are studio/lesser helmets - I think. There were 2 ESB helmets sold recently. That leaves the 2 TE ANH helmets and then the 2 ANH Sandies that sold recently.

Does anyone know of any other original helmets? I would love to see pictures of any original helmets that anyone has.

Thanks

Joe

For ANH helmets there`s also the Kurtz/Joiner archive stunt and then a stunt and a hero in the LFL Archives.

Cheers,
Ben

<div class='quotetop'>(gizmo @ May 26 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]1251034[/snapback]</div>
For ANH helmets there`s also the Kurtz/Joiner archive stunt and then a stunt and a hero in the LFL Archives.

Cheers,
Ben
[/b]

Thanks Ben is that the re-painted one that is shown on SW helmets?

There also appears to be a ROTJ in the LFL Archives. Then there is Mark Hamill's ANH Hero.

TE mentioned seeing 2 ANH suits in the Lucasfilms archives recently onSandtrooper.net

Joe

Hi,

The Joiner / Kurtz one is the one repainted on SWhelmets.com. It was also used to make tour suits in 1997 for a charity / promotional event. Unfortunately the tour suits got the same crappy paint job copied from the original and were not vac formed plastic.

I would also love to see the one stunt and one hero in the LFL archives some RPF members do have photos but cannot share as they were told not to by LFL when they photographed them. Shame :(

As for ROTJ helmets I think LFL have quite a few of these left over.

Cheers Chris.

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ May 26 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]1251075[/snapback]</div>
Hi,

The Joiner / Kurtz one is the one repainted on SWhelmets.com. It was also used to make tour suits in 1997 for a charity / promotional event. Unfortunately the tour suits got the same crappy paint job copied from the original and were not vac formed plastic.

I would also love to see the one stunt and one hero in the LFL archives some RPF members do have photos but cannot share as they were told not to by LFL when they photographed them. Shame :(

As for ROTJ helmets I think LFL have quite a few of these left over.

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

Thanks Chris

It breaks my heart to see that repainted Kurtz/Joiner helmet, the decals aren't even accurate.

Seems like there are lots of ROTJ helmets floating about. Does anyone know how many were made?

Joe

Have you counted this one?
trooper_4.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(troopermaster @ May 26 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]1251137[/snapback]</div>
Have you counted this one?
trooper_4.jpg

[/b]

Thanks Paul

That is included in the ROTJ helmets. Lucky screenused they also have one of the ANH sandies and an original TIE. :eek

Joe

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ May 26 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]1251150[/snapback]</div>
That is included in the ROTJ helmets.
[/b]

That makes it 8 ROTJ helmets in private collections, by my reckoning.... :unsure

And I've no doubt that the attics and garages around London and the Home Counties still have some secrets to share ;)

Cheers,
John

Mark Hamil still owns the helmet he wore in ANH- last I heard it wasn't in the best shape, but still together.

If you are counting the tour helmets, are you counting the helmets made for the Lucasfilm Super Live Adventure Show in '93?

On a related note:

"Unfortunately the tour suits got the same crappy paint job copied from the original and were not vac formed plastic."

If they weren't vac formed plastic, were they fiberglass?

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 27 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1251596[/snapback]</div>
"Unfortunately the tour suits got the same crappy paint job copied from the original and were not vac formed plastic."

[/b]

These aren't the 'official' 20th Century Fox Tour suits from 1997 onwards (which are all vac-formed), but the JJ suits which were created in the UK at approximately the same time. The helmets for these suits were indeed fibreglass and the armour was very-roughly trimmed... from a conversation with JJ he told me that they trimmed the armour with angle-grinders. :confused

Cheers,
John

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ May 27 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]1251609[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 27 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1251596[/snapback]

[/b]

These aren't the 'official' 20th Century Fox Tour suits from 1997 onwards (which are all vac-formed), but the JJ suits which were created in the UK at approximately the same time. The helmets for these suits were indeed fibreglass and the armour was very-roughly trimmed... from a conversation with JJ he told me that they trimmed the armour with angle-grinders. :confused

Cheers,
John
[/b][/quote]

Wait- I'm confused- are you talking about the LFL Super Live show suits/helmets?

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 27 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]1251596[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

The tour suit's I saw at Wembley in '99 looked like they were made from rubber,almost like a wellington boot. I suppose they could have been made from vinyl and slush cast?

Did anyone else see these suit's at the Kellog's MOM tour?

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ May 26 2006, 10:31 AM) [snapback]1251075[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

That is not true of everyone who has photographed them and I think some just use that as an excuse to hold photos over people's heads to tantalize them...

Sorry to go off topic here, but is it really true that some of the ROTJ helmets were painted off white?
It would be great if it was true, as i plan on building another ROTJ trooper helmet soon and i wanted to paint it off white.

BTW, anyone who has any unseen pics of original trooper helmets, post them for Gods sake.

Keith.

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ May 27 2006, 07:27 AM) [snapback]1251595[/snapback]</div>
And I've no doubt that the attics and garages around London and the Home Counties still have some secrets to share ;)

Cheers,
John
[/b]

Yep. Only time will tell.

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormtrooper @ May 27 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]1251609[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 27 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1251596[/snapback]

[/b]

Cheers,
John
[/b][/quote]

There are pictures of the tour suits made from Joiner/Kurtz archive in 1997 as they have been auctioned a couple of times in the past.
The helmets are casts taken of the inside of the helmets so look wierd as they are sharp looking as they are effectively like bucks used for vac forming. The helmet was then made into a one piece fibreglass helmet unfortunately the faceplate is put in at a funny angle so they do look strange.

To clear up any confusion if anybody would like to see photos of these 1997 tour suits I have a few or photographs of a helmet made from casts of the Joiner / Kurtz archive helmet ;) email me at chrissimm@gmail.com give me your email accounts and I will send them on.

Cheers Chris.

I apologize for taking this thread further off-track, but...

I am really curious about the 'tour' suits and their origin because I have worked extensively with the LFL Super Live Adventure Show trooper suits (now owned by DisneyWorld), and I was wondering if they were of the same origin.

So as I understand it, the tour suits/helmets were made from original ROTJ pieces owned by Jason Joiner and/or Gary Kurtz? Who made them? Could the LFL SLA Show suits be from the same maker?

Pardon my ignorance- I'm not stormtrooper expert, but I've always been curious about the origin of the Disney suits.

Mark

That one looks exactly like the ones I saw at Wembley MOM,with the pin holes next to the eyes.Much better than the JJ/Kurtz and the cut down Disney suit's.Below is a JJ/Kurtz
JJsuit2.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back