Original screen worn A New Hope Vader gloves for Auction

So two things:
The gloves are not the original ones used/worn by Prowse. Eller has stated that they were coming apart and he had a leatherworker in LA copy them. The tell is the bottom seam that differs from the movie ones ( also seen in the pictures where Darth Vader meets Grace Slick/Jefferson Airplane)

Number two, those are not the original Vader boxes. The tell is that the original box was dented n the left hand side and these aren't These are boxes that are probably the closest to the original, but like the gloves replicated.

These look to be the same belt. But these (and the ones in the auction are not the screenused boxes.

The knobs are too close to each other compared to the screenused boxes. And the spacing between the pilot lights and the knobs is off as well.
The mesh slot is cut uneven in the middle which is not the case in the screenused box.

58581886-515850235612937-1509771220332052480-n.jpg
x

Last edited:
Darctic, I would love to see photos of the ANH glove replica detail difference you mentioned. Thus far the consensus is that the gloves in the separate lot are indeed the screen-used ANH gloves.

Yeah you know what, after going over some of the Kermit Eller photo's from his first go around in the original costume, I have to retract my earlier findings. The gloves can be screenmatched to the corbis pictures.

Everything in this auction is a promotional costume piece with the exception of the anh gloves.
...and the belt boxes, although heavily repaired/repainted. What makes you so sure they are not the real deal? Did you make them?

So two things:
Number two, those are not the original Vader boxes. The tell is that the original box was dented n the left hand side and these aren't These are boxes that are probably the closest to the original, but like the gloves replicated.

You are right, Vaders left ANH belt box was dented on the box wall which faces the belt buckle, where the lower belt enters the box. This can be seen in the DP Kermit pics. The leather belt and buckle on the Bonhams suit is not the screen used belt and buckle, so perhaps they accidentally changed the lids/boxes when they removed them from the ANH belt?

On the Bonhams suit, Vader left belt box, upper row of knobs: why is the left knob (seen from front) shorter compared to the others? Like the one on the screen used box? Coincidence?

Last edited:
Questioning me like that with an attitude only serves to embarrass yourself.

View attachment 1013503
Oh, I love this hobby. It's a lot of fun discussing with you. And these are two good examples of real ugly belt boxes, don't you think so?

Ok, back on topic. In the pics you posted above, it seems like the placement of the geeblies on the Bonhams suit box does not match the one on the screen used box. Is this what you would like to demonstrate?

Ok, back on topic. In the pics you posted above, it seems like the placement of the geeblies on the Bonhams suit box does not match the one on the screen used box. Is this what you would like to demonstrate?

That and the location and size of the cutout for the mesh prove they are not the same box.

That and the location and size of the cutout for the mesh prove they are not the same box.
You may be right, but I‘m still not 100% convinced. It’s just a gut feeling. I have never seen the original belt boxes in person, nor the Bonhams belt boxes. And I wasn‘t able to find any images of the originals in my archive with matching perspective, shot from the same distance with a similar lens.

Last edited:
Everything in this auction is a promotional costume piece with the exception of the anh gloves.

What about the bodysuit? It looks like it could be the one we see eller wearing outside of Don Post?
The one thing that makes me doubt it is the way they pictured the middle part of the costume with the attached leather sleeves.

Those red lamps on the boxes are the ones I kept scrolling past, trying to find the shorter red lamp for the Holiday saber. neat!

Also, is the mesh on the promotional boxes resin cast? The old B&W photo looks like I can see through the holes, like its actual mesh

Thank you for the write-up BAlinger15 ! It's neat to see the differences highlighted so thoroughly. I'm still impressed by the Bonham's suit, despite it not being 100% accurate. It'd certainly fool me without a handy analysis guide! ;)

Note that Brandon's report links to my October 2018 report, which I updated a couple of weeks back following discussions with Nick Farmer - and I’ve said the helmet and shoulder armour are Tour pieces.

As far as the other parts, I am still unsure - and this is reflected in my revised report. However Nick Farmer having reviewed the photographs has said that (helmet and shoulder armour aside) no other parts are his work.

Edit- Note also that Bonhams also recently had a number of discussions with Bryce Eller -who provided additional information/proofs on the suit - however I don’t know what this amounted to as wasn’t shared with me.

Cheers

Jez

Last edited:
Brandon, again, thanks for sharing the information.
I've always appreciated it over the years.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back