[ORIGINAL IDEA] "SuperNSwoman" // Design Ideas wanted!

kialna

Sr Member
Hi all!

I'm an ambassador for the Dutch National Railways. But I'm also trying to become a traindriver (or engineer, how you want to call it) However,

I already know so much about the railways, that I've become known as the "Super NS Woman"... the name is cliché. (NS is Nederlandse Spoorwegen)

But we're going serious in this. Like a mascotte/carnival costume. Even cosplay it. For the helmet I'm going to use the design of our trains and some other resin parts. However, I also think about something spandex and with cape. However, I'm not so sure about it.

Still, when I think of an "Super Woman" I think of the superman series. But it shouldn't be a ripoff. I'll post some pictures later this evening, but I was wondering if you people had ideas to use on the suit.

This is the logo the NS uses. Naturally, it will return on the suit (belt buckle or something, or chest logo...)
NS-logo.jpg

The colors are White, blue and yellow. Like this
NS.nl

and the trains look like this:

Foto_45-09.jpg

VIRM-station.jpg

icmm4011asd89303ed0.jpg

264px-NS_1770_(1700-serie).jpg

I also would like to give it a little touch with the High speed company which is still in start-phase but I'm good friends with them. The white should be a nice overlap:

05-Fyra-op-spoor-v250-def.jpg

So...after you guys have laughed your ass off about our train design and such, I'd greatly appreciate your help, ideas and inspiration! I think the RPF is the best place to go! I'm creative, yet other people's ideas can never be wrong!

I hope we can get some awesome suit-ideas out of this! :D

Here are the first sketches to see where I'm sort of aiming at. I also would like a minimum of armor. Like pauldrons, shinprotectors and maybe something for the chest, in a minimum..

superNSwomansketch.jpg

this is with color mockup.

superNSwomankleur.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, I read that as Super Norfolk Southern Woman, I didn't know it was really about trains. I'm a railroader myself. (NS is a freight railroad in the US)

I´d say you should look at the designs from "Starlight Express" for inspiration. Less details maybe better for your design, but still a starting point.

Michael

When I look for Starlight Express, I get some sort of musical?

@Ruddinger;

Haha yeah I know, but that's not the NS I'm talking about ;) hahaha

Also, I can quite inderstand that the colors are quite bold now. I imagine them a bit toned down. I just copied the colors of the official website. I'm working on a better drawing now. I'll add some 'armor' to it for as far as I imagine it.

I actually think this looks great as is. :thumbsup I'm digging the colors alot, and the helmet that's top left.

Seeing as it's the Netherlands, maybe work in some orange (that is the "national" color, right?)...perhaps the belt, or some snaps on pouches or gloves, or something. Just a thought.

:lol :lol :lol hahahahahaha those are fun, but not my aim.

I added some armor in a new drawing. I like it, but it seems to be an upgrade of the costume I already designed..in case of need ;) But I don't know. Maybe it's too much of a battle thing now. Personally I love the lower helmet the most. The top left can also be sculpted a bit more dynamically.

One thing is for sure: At least the helmet(s) will be made. Because I'm just dying to make one! :")

As for the color orange; I'm afraid that doesn't quite work. It's not really connected to the scheme at all. Only when I'm doing an international suit it might come close to the warm red they use for the hi-speed stuff. :)

I'll upload the new drawing soon. (and I suck at drawing females. I'm a man-drawer!)

Yes I draw fast. No this is not my best drawing. Yes it is a sketchy thing...

this is the 'armored' version.

I don't know, she feels like...uber battleready now. Less of a superhero (to me!)
NSwoman2.jpg

I think the belt should be chunkier, maybe incorporate little detachable railroad spikes for throwing weapons. ;) And personally I like the first helmet design, sort of looks like the hood of a locomotive.

I'll get my tablet hooked up and knock out a design. Or I'll draw it. Not sure but I think I can come up with something.

Okay, a little edit here. Decided it's easier for me to just draw something. Here's the start of what I have so far. Bear with me, it's a design in progress.

sd1vy9.jpg

Last edited:
Haha is the cape attached to the wrists?

@Rudigger I bought a chunkier belt indeed. :) I like that more. It's this one, but in black:
IMG_5592.jpg

I love the belt. It's chunky enough, and I can make it smaller to fit my hips. I think I will buy another one, to make my Rogue Cosplay better later.

I liked the train in the first picture and went with that for the design. Forgive the crudeness of my sketch I didn't take a lot of time to draw it up. Thought it would be cool to have white as the main color of the outfit and then use blue for the upper body and yellow on the lower body. Looks a little more heroic using white as the main color as opposed to yellow I think. I was thinking it would be better to use the stronger color up top and on the cape. I also didn't want to over complicate the design so I tried to keep it fairly simple.

Ditched the belt idea and went with the emblem just above the chest and on the gloves. I was kind of inspired by Space Ghost as far as the mask and emblem but thought it would be cool to have it set up so all your hair is loose. The cape is designed to be part of the suit and not a seperate item.

With the way I laid out the design I thought a belt would disrupt the streamlined look. Same reason I didn't go with shoulder pads. I did think as far as a belt design it would be kind of cool to have the emblem on something that looked like a railroad track... maybe. Went with a more Gatchaman inspired helmet. Figured the visor would be a clear blue plastic of some sort so you could see the mask underneath.

2011-11-200322.jpg

I think if you want to do armor I would probably ditch the cape and go with a backpack of some sort. i'd probably do something more like iron Man at that point and just go full armor though. Or maybe you could do something inspired form the designs from Tron. If you do full armor you could actually have a lot of the elements from the train design itself that would look pretty cool. Almost like something out of Transformers.

That's all I've got for now. I'll post more ideas if I can think of anything.

Steve

Oh I like that approach a lot! I'll show it to the partner! :D I love this input!

I'm also thinking about indeed swapping the white and yellow. I'll just give it a try lateron.

I also get some new inspiration by you guys. The shape of the cape for example is nicely done. Maybe I will mix some in with it. :D

Last edited:
I liked the train in the first picture and went with that for the design. Forgive the crudeness of my sketch I didn't take a lot of time to draw it up. Thought it would be cool to have white as the main color of the outfit and then use blue for the upper body and yellow on the lower body. Looks a little more heroic using white as the main color as opposed to yellow I think. I was thinking it would be better to use the stronger color up top and on the cape. I also didn't want to over complicate the design so I tried to keep it fairly simple.

Ditched the belt idea and went with the emblem just above the chest and on the gloves. I was kind of inspired by Space Ghost as far as the mask and emblem but thought it would be cool to have it set up so all your hair is loose. The cape is designed to be part of the suit and not a seperate item.

With the way I laid out the design I thought a belt would disrupt the streamlined look. Same reason I didn't go with shoulder pads. I did think as far as a belt design it would be kind of cool to have the emblem on something that looked like a railroad track... maybe. Went with a more Gatchaman inspired helmet. Figured the visor would be a clear blue plastic of some sort so you could see the mask underneath.

2011-11-200322.jpg

I think if you want to do armor I would probably ditch the cape and go with a backpack of some sort. i'd probably do something more like iron Man at that point and just go full armor though. Or maybe you could do something inspired form the designs from Tron. If you do full armor you could actually have a lot of the elements from the train design itself that would look pretty cool. Almost like something out of Transformers.

That's all I've got for now. I'll post more ideas if I can think of anything.

Steve

I really like this design.:thumbsup

Thanks guys.

When I did the coloring earlier I just wanted to color the suit itself but looking back at it I was thinking it might be cool to use a white wig and do some blue streaks on the sides.

Kind of like this...
2011-11-202004.jpg

Started to work out an idea for an armored suit design for you also. Got as far as the helmet figured out so far.

2011-11-20205850.jpg

I was thinking also as a weapon or a symbol you could use something like a rail crossing light post. Of course modified a bit with the design and size.

railroad-crossing-signals--thumb13246805.jpg

Steve

I liked the first design better. However, my partner loves my design to death. I'm still wanting to switch colors to test it out. But at least, I will use your cape idea, since I love that so much! :)

I think I'll mix some of it in the already designed costume. I hope to start today on at least the helmet....or at least...one of the two.

Is it just me or does the train in the second picture (the all yellow with the blue stripe), look like the front has a welders helmet?

Yeah the armor may be a bit much the way I was going with the design. I have some revision ideas for the helmet already. Just may have to use that for something myself. That's the cool thing about things like this. Even if some of the ideas don't work for the original project they can sometimes be used for something else.

I think your initial design is pretty good for the most part. Maybe try making the arms all white or do them in white and add some blue to the arms. I think if you remove the yellow from the arms the rest of the color scheme could work the way you have it now. I would also maybe try yellow on the boots. From a functionality standpoint I would probably separate the knee pads from the attachment on the boots. That or redesign it a bit. I guess it depends on if it's supposed to float separately from the knees or supposed to be attached to the suit. If you're going to do armor on the boots I would consider doing maybe bracers and elbow pads also. You might also consider making the helmet a full helmet instead of a partial. I think that may look a bit better with the way you've designed the visor. That or like Ruddiger mentioned maybe going to your first design you put up and fine tuning that a bit.

If I think of any other ideas I'll post them up. It'll be fun to see where this ends up when it's finished.

Steve

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back