Original Hoggle restoration

frosty

Sr Member
While going through my daily check on the forums, i found this link
hoggle restoration
I think they destroyed the original puppet head in the restoration, and now it just looks crap
Have a look
They should have given it to someone like wampa on here, then at least some of the original foam skin would have been used

I know when the Ughnaughts were restored by Wampa he preserved the skin that was left recreating the missing areas. This guy just completely resculpted the face...number one its to smooth, Hoggle is supposed to look severely acne scarred, and number two the paint job is absolutely wrong...what the heck is with the brown spots?????

I want to cry...

:cry

Well I cried...but I still dont feel any better.

Doom

I think it looks aweful and nothing like the original. The paintjob is horrible and the resculpting looks just wrong.

That sucks, but at least he tried.

The real injustice here is what is fast becoming a lost art. These days, movies wouldn't think twice about making an animatronic character, they'd just funnel it through CGI. :angry

Someones asked me to sculpt a lifesized Hoggle head. I wish I'd had the chance to speak to this guy befor he started restoring it in such a manor.

Never mind :unsure

Cyb.

Looks like Hoggle went through a mid-life crisis during restoration and has gone with Botox, collagen injections and a facelift.

The brown spots are probably just blusher.

Already saw this on another forum- was sickened then, and am sickened now, seeing it again.

I'm sure nobody means to disrespect or insult a guy's livelihood, but geeeebus..........I think an amateur could have taken a more decent stab at that restoration. I mean SERIOUSLY, did the guy even use reference photos? The photo in the top of the progress page alone should have sent him enough of a red flag to tell him "Woah, you are WAY, way offbase with your accuracy here". :(

I’m sorry but restoring a toy doll and restoring something as complex as Hoggle are just 2 entirely different things, and I’m not knocking this guy but as Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies “A man has to know his limitations”

This was hands down a job for Wampa, bet the pieces that were removed got tossed.

What a shame. :(

I’m sorry but restoring a toy doll and restoring something as complex as Hoggle are just 2 entirely different things, and I’m not knocking this guy but as Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies “A man has to know his limitations”

This was hands down a job for Wampa, bet the pieces that were removed got tossed.

What a shame. :(
[/b]

Very well put.

It'd be great if someone around here could get a hold of that thing. Labyrinth was one of my favorite movies (well, OK, still is) and I would love to see the original Hoggle treated with the respect it deserves.

I mailed him about it, to see if he still had the pieces, and he said they where unsalvageable, and just crystalised to the touch, so they are no more. :confused

I mailed him about it, to see if he still had the pieces, and he said they where unsalvageable, and just crystalised to the touch, so they are no more. :confused
[/b]

:(

Did he seem like he'd consider selling it?

I live about an hour drive from Unclaimed Luggage. My wife likes shopping there so I have seen Hoggle several times. I am sure the pieces really were in an unusable shape. Labrynth is one of my favorite movies and my heart sunk the first time I saw poor Hoggle. I agree the restoration could have been better. Looking at the gallery, the guy seems to be an awesome doll restorer, and that is how he restored it, as a doll. A real shame, but at least it is restored.

I can assure you if I thought they were considering restoring him I would have spoken to them about people who could do it justice. Heck, next time I am there I might still do that. They have a small "museum" of some of the more unique items they have aquired, Hoggle of course being one of them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back