Original 221b baker street key < pic > sherlock holmes

Yes that is true....221B did not exist when he was writing the stories as to avoid confusion or disturb someone who would have lived there....when the original stories were written Baker Street numbers went up to about 100 ...the key does go to the original 221B...and as far as i know is an exibit on display at the museum. Hope this helps.

Nicom1234...i think you have a winner there..great attention to detail......im kinda curious to call the museum and ask if it has a hole in the end..well i may or may not go to that length...i do like the hole tho... Im gonna get one of these...Great Job again...both of you guy's and personally i think looking at the end of the key the way the tip is designed is that the real one most likely has a hole as well.

Last edited:
8 Perf.....you got it too...excellent job to the both of ya's ...this is like a contest now that i dont think i or anyone could pick a winner...A+++ to you both...... Now heres a question Im surprised no one has asked....Being that both of you guy's keys are basically the same size and weight and near mirror images of each others..and with using the same metal <matte bronze> why is there a $20 difference from one persons key to another? Im assuming that you both get a commission from shapways or you set the price ?? or...??... a $20 difference isnt a big deal to me, but im sure it is to alot of others...i plan on getting one of each of yours....one to put behind glass and the other to be "touched" ...i dont like to put all of my stuff behind glass is nice especially when someone new comes over and can actually touch and feel some of my props...same is true for myself as well....and sometimes i rotate em from being in frame...or behind glass to being openly displayed for touching.

Last edited:
Shapeways calculates price based on volume and type of material used. After that the designer can chose to add a value or percentage as a mark up when they decide to sell the item or open a Shapeways storefront.

makes sense...im sure there are alot of people whom work alot with shapeways as their main ""builders"" for their hobbys or business and some im sure make a decent income out of it...is great when a hobby can make you some money....or even just to pay for your hobby...as a way to fund buying more hobby items ...cellectibles etc.....yrs ago i was the first to produce the goonies doubloon in solid silver all hand casted by a jewler friend of mine... as it appeared in the movie is what was made from....very dark tarnished silver....i sold several of em....and it paid enough i got mine free and a little extra so i could get a few other small props i wanted then.

I wasnt sure how pricing on shapeways worked, so put in the price that they reccomend for that size, shape and material. I have adjusted the price for the metal material in my store to one that matches the detail and time that I feel went into the model. I make things as a job, not really things so detailed and small, I do theme park stuff but work freelance nonetheless.
VoiceMan, im also hoping that if I sell a few of them, I could get enough to also buy one for myself :)

One last thing I noticed....and has nothing to do in the design....Upon looking at the original once more one thing I think may be advised is to offer your keys in BRASS...the poor mans gold....many keys of that Victorian were cast in brass for the ""fanciness"" of its appearance. Heavily tarnished brass can look like matted aged bronze......I you look closely at the key you can see what i think i am seeing is some undertones of exposed brass....a few little places here and there of ""goldness"" in the key.

If i get the time tomorrow i will call 221B Baker Street. Asking a few quick questions like Overall Length?...Hole at the end? ...What metal...If known?...Extra history on it?

...one thing im pretty certain about is that it is a """ring key""" the circle at the end is to help affix the key on a finger...just like wearing a ring....kinda the same purpose why some people today wear their keys on a neck lanyard...back then of course clothese werent as reliable as they are today ...a hole in your pocket and yeah youd loose a key real easilly.

Last edited:
I tried to make Brass available but shapeways says the design is too large (maximum dimensions being 89x89x100mm), however, if the key was 3.5 inches, it would fit.
If you do get time to phone the museum, ill be interested to hear some history about the key and the dimensions. If it is smaller, I'll scale it down but if not, shall I try and scale it down anyway to 3.5 inches long and make a large key and a smaller key available to print using brass? Its interesting that they print from wax and do the whole lost wax cast process for you at shapeways.

Also the box dimensions would be great ;)

Last edited:
im guessing you have the key at about 4 inches?? my return to oz key is just over 3in <about the avg size for most old skelton keys>.... so i think 3.5 inches would be ok...even 3.25in if need be.

Never did hear if anyone actually ordered one of the designs done here and if they liked it or not. A friend of mine is a big Holmes fan so I bought one of my own done in polished bronze as a gift. Turned out real nice, if I do say so myself. :)
3.5 inches long and a nice "heft" to it, as old keys go.

SAM_1115.jpg

Sorry....been no response for some time...ive faced certain death 4 times in the last 2 years....had a nasty allergic reaction when i was home alone...quite scary.....then i had a nasty bacterial infection from a simple cut that gave me blood poisoning... then i had another rouge bacterial infection that tried to kill my spine and brain...then one evening with friends here i had a stroke and a heart attack in an hours time...but im fine ya'all

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back