Optimus Prime ion blaster built !! (new update !)

Weaselhammer

Sr Member
I recently started a new replica build, I wanted to do something different and cool, something from a show I loved, yet stay within my abilities. Here is the start of my G1 Optimus Prime ion blaster, modeled off of the masterpiece release a few years ago. It will be 3 ft long when finished and I plan to have lights inside of it when the trigger is pulled. It may not sound like much to some here, but I am just starting out in this hobby, doing this less than a year so far.

This is my first progress pic, with a reference pic, under it on the table is the blueprint (my first ever) I used to get the scaling right and plan the build. If anyone has seen good reference pictures , please let me know, there isn't much out there that I have found.

View attachment 58786

Last edited:
Re: Optimus Prime ion blaster WIP

Here is a question, any tips on how to diffuse light in a clear tube, kinda like the force fx lightsaber tubes. Maybe I could coat the inside of a clear tube with white paint? Any ideas are welcome !

Here is a question, any tips on how to diffuse light in a clear tube, kinda like the force fx lightsaber tubes. Maybe I could coat the inside of a clear tube with white paint? Any ideas are welcome !

check your hobbie store for glass frost spray. Dont know how esay it will be to spray in tube but should do the trick.

or frosted contact paper works too, maybe even less hassle. its used to "frost" bay windows and screen door windows etc. hardware store should have!

Keeping a very, very close eye on this thread for inspiration, a G1 Optimus costume with blaster and axe arm are on my to do list

I might have to make one of these, it would go perfectly on the wall next to the shelves of Transformers.

I might have to make one of these, it would go perfectly on the wall next to the shelves of Transformers.

I have some Transformers, boy do I wish I still had the ones as a kid though, especially Ultramagnus, Wheeljack, Soundwave, and my Voltron and Robotech stuff too. Makes me sick in hindsight .

Here is a quick update on my progress, so much more to do though, I'm still planning the trigger mechanism to turn on the possible blue LED tube I was planning for the interior, the end section of the barrel , the stock, details, paint, etc. I'm pretty pumped about it so far !

View attachment 59234

check your hobbie store for glass frost spray. Dont know how esay it will be to spray in tube but should do the trick.

It could, but there's an easier way.

or frosted contact paper works too, maybe even less hassle. its used to "frost" bay windows and screen door windows etc. hardware store should have!

This is closer. In the illuminated lightsaber community, we diffuse our blades with something called "blade film." You can buy specially made blade film, or just use some clear gift wrap. Like, actually. The stuff from those welcome baskets at work - that's what's inside three of my lightsaber blades right now.

So, clear plastic gift wrap. Cellophane works too.

Here is a quick update on my progress, it's not much, but it's coming along, I got the ridges at the base of the barrel done, they were a pain in the behind. I also got the barrel muzzle ready for primer, I just need to fabricate a way to attach it to the rest of the barrel. I started on the "stock" today, I'll hopefully get alot more done with that tomorrow. The grip is pretty much done save adding the trigger and paint. I also cut out the pieces that run down the sightline of the barrel out of mdf, I would like to make molds of these to save weight, but I have NO experience in casting parts, and have no supplies to do such a thing so that may be on hold temporarily. I wish I could spend an afternoon with someone like Harrison while they cast parts so I could help and learn the basics. Thanks for all the support so far.

View attachment 59598

Here is the latest mock-up of what I've done so far, I'm really excited ! My friend and I talked today about making a mold of it and making casts when I get it together. Do you guys think there would be any interest ? I've never done anything but simple impression molds before so that would be a big step.

View attachment 59686

View attachment 59687

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back