Opinions Needed...should I Keep The Topknot?

hez1

I got some time today to work on something for myself, so I put some dreads on my halfmask that Scott painted for me. When I was doing the dreads, I specifically cast a few of them a lot stiffer than normal, with the intention of making them into a topknot, to eventually (!) go with a Samurai style suit.

Now that they're on there, I'm sort of torn between quite liking it, and thinking it could be a lot better. I'd value some opinions on it from you guys...I'll do some pics with the bio on tomorrow.

IMG_1394.jpg.gif

if going for a samurai,then i would be looking at there hair styles.its more looped in the middle and would look good imho.

I agree with the eldest in saying that the dreads need to be smaller and maybe thinner. The Topnot of a samurai is more of a 'round bun' shape on top of the head so as Carss66 says above - looking into the samurai hair styles maybe a good place to start. Loving the idea however

I'm not looking to copy the samurai style exactly...just the idea. However, I don't think the problem is that the dreads are too thick, exactly, although yes, thinner ones would help. The other issue is that there just aren't enough holes in the head to put dreads into. So even if the dreads were thinner, I'm not sure it would help a whole lot. I think what I might try is stuffing some dreads in there that aren't actually connected to the head, just to try and fill it out a little.

Shorter might be a good idea too...thanks for the input so far!

if it was mine,would use thinner dreads and double dread in the holes down centre of back of head.then use them for the loop,or one of the double to get the loop.shame i cant draw the effect for you to see,as all my gear is packed away.hope you can sort it mate

I love the look. Samurai Predator. Very cool. Look forward to seeing how this turns out. In my opinion same thickness just shorter.

I think you're on the right track paul. One can't copy the chonmage like a samurai. And all top knots aren't round and folded like some have suggested. theres several styles. The one that comes to mind that would seem to fit the style of the pred would be the battle mage. I would add a few more dreads, 4 or 5. like you said not conected but bunched up and tie a piece of cloth around them to make them look like jubei yagyus top knot.
keep us posted on your progress
lem

Ps. Forgot to add that if you follow with the aforementioned advice theres no need to shorten the dreads.
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z126/lemuelburciaga/?action=view&current=jubeimovie.jpg
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z126/lemuelburciaga/?action=view&current=thumbnailCA2FRQA6.jpg
http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z126/lemuelburciaga/?action=view&current=thumbnail-1.jpg

Cheers Lem. That is sort of the look I was going for. I want to get a much broader material to wrap around them, so they don't look as pinched together as above. I just used some twine that I happened to have on hand.

i found that the cheapest option was painted gauze(hope I'm spelling it right, lol) it looked the part,very rugged and actually once painted it didnt look like gauze.
cheers!

Here is a picture Of the "Topknot" I have been working on for the last few years. You can see the receptacles on the top of his head for the dreads.
I will be using smaller dreads for the topknot. Below that is "Topknots" Bio. The blade is functional. You can see the "u" shape on
the top where the topknot will be.
topknot2.jpg
081-2.jpg

Here is a picture Of the "Topknot" I have been working on for the last few years. You can see the receptacles on the top of his head for the dreads.
I will be using smaller dreads for the topknot. Below that is "Topknots" Bio. The blade is functional. You can see the "u" shape on
the top where the topknot will be.
topknot2.jpg
081-2.jpg
A little off topic, but that looks awesome!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back