Opinion Thread Vader Experts, what's the origin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

propsculptor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Vader Helmet Experts,
Help me determine the origin of this ANH Vader helmet...

I got this in a trade deal, it's origin is the guy who gave it to me (Greg Hanson)
picked this up from his contact in LA years ago. It resembles the "ghost host"
helmet, but is NOT a Recast. It's a cleaner, much better casting.

He also said, he did not get it from anyone at Don Post Studios,
nor did he get it from Roger Sides as someone suggested to me.

Here are the photos...

Vader1.jpg

Vader2.jpg

Vader3.jpg

Please keep this discussion be Civil, thanks :)

If youre looking for civility, Id suggest editting your last few words as they are rather potent so to speak.

If your asking for the origin why declare what it isnt? Know what I mean?

I was stating my knowledge of it's history, I'm asking for other opinions of where it may be from, since I don't know a lot about ANH Vader Helmets.

If your asking for the origin why declare what it isnt? Know what I mean?

Looks kinda like a helmet TE was trying to sell for alot of $ a couple years back, claiming it was from original production molds... specifically made for Prouse in '77 but ended up in collectors hands instead. I doubt that story was true though.

The helmet on the left in the last pic is a Fyberdyne (or from its family tree, earlier or later). If that was the source, I think it is fair game to rework, as it traces back to LFL (or no one has claimed otherwise, TMK), albeit after many generations and tweakings by many hands. No one person can lay claim to that helmet. (Well, Unca George and Fox can, of course.)

(Speaking as a member and not a mod on this one.)

None taken :) I appreciate it.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Apr 5 2006, 09:57 PM
Propsculptor...I didnt mean any offense regarding my comment.  Hope you understand  :)  I just saw a shipe storm potentially coming per sensitivities.
[snapback]1220858[/snapback]​

In my humble opinion, I agree with Treadwell, I think it's a Fyberdyne derivative.

Nice helmet BTW :)

Cheers,

Kraig

Can you tell me more about the Fyberdyne Helmet?
(Or am I just asking to open a whole can of worms?.)

I agree it came from a Fyberdyne-like helmet that was extensively reworked. The helmets (domes) are a good match. The Fyberdyne would be further down the lineage from whatever Don Post style helmet it came from (perhaps a GH-style helmet). Did it originally have a cabinet latch on the forehead? That would be a dead giveaway. (whoever's Fyberdyne helmet pic that is I hope you don't mind me using it)

Fyberdynete1.jpg

edit: On the lower lip of your faceplate....the top and bottom edges are parallel unlike the original ANH where the top horizontal edge curves downward toward the lower edge. The Fyberdyne also has this feature...

T

origins smorigins..... What a piece of junk, the only thing to do is box it up and ship it to me :love

super clean looking. I'm not even going to take a stab at the lineage, sure we will all be surprised when its figured out. :confused

now get that thing finished, and painted, place in a box and send it to me.

Kell

Originally posted by Ghost Host@Apr 5 2006, 10:17 PM
Looks kinda like a helmet TE was trying to sell for alot of $ a couple years back, claiming it was from original production molds... specifically made for Prouse in '77 but ended up in collectors hands instead.  I doubt that story was true though.
[snapback]1220841[/snapback]​

This IS the VERY helmet that TE was trying to sell. I had it in my posession for about 6 days contemplating the purchase myself. His friend was on his way to ComicCon '04 and met me about 70 miles away to deliver it to me for inspection. After I DECLINED the transaction, it was carefully shipped back to TE. I still have the pictures if anyone is interested. It really was a nice clean helmet. It needed a little finishing here and there with the exposed bondo on the dome, but overall, really nice ;)

FP

Please do show us those pictures Fettpride. Anything that shows the faceplate straight on and preferably without the dome.

I want to know if this is another helmet out of the Jeff W school of Vader helmets. The uniform thickness of the mouth reminds me of Gino's faceplate which also came from Jeff.

Originally posted by fettpride@Apr 7 2006, 04:13 PM
After I DECLINED the transaction, it was carefully shipped back to TE.
After six days of deliberation, what finally made you decide you didn't want the helmet?

Don't mean to be too nosy, fettpride... just interested in knowing more about the bucket. :)

As requested ...

I have more pics. Just need to find them all. I have about 6 archive DVD to look through :lol

These are pics of propsculptor's helmet next to a , uh ... welll Wolfmorgan Reveal pile :lol

It really is a SHARP helmet guys, rest easy ...

front.jpg

In this pic, you can see the SAME EXACT bondo areas around the skirt of the dome in case there is any doubt ...

dome.jpg

And a detail shot of the face ...

face.jpg

Why did I not take the helmet? That is a long story :lol It had nothing to do with how nice the helmet is though ;)

FP

***EDIT*** Added Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back