OpenR2: Ralph McQuarries first production blueprint of R2-D2

OpenR2

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ralph McQuarrie likely created this first true production blueprint of Artoo-Detoo for the 1977 film Star Wars. We've just finished modeling this first engineering blueprint version of Artoo. The models and some interesting insights into this blueprint can be found over at OpenR2 at this link ... 1975 McQuarrie Blueprint

blueprint.jpg

547.jpg
5471.jpg

Capture.PNG

This has sparked my Imagination and I have watched a few build videos on youtube. Are you going to build it?

I do want to build it. I think it can be done reasonably since the dome looks hemispherical and the the diameter in 18 inches. We should be able to find something hemispherical in aluminum at 18 inch’s off the shelf.

What made you choose yellow? A very McQuarrie colour and reminds me of the Y wings and other concept artwork.

I had actually just bought a quad hands workbench and really liked the color. It thought the color might look good in the renderings. So it was pretty random. I thought it turned out pretty well on the images when the CAD is overlaid on the old yellowed vellums.

99AFF942-0F34-42DF-A5B9-D742928A784D.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back