Opal Necklace and Trelawney’s handbag from Harry Potter

ALT Kenobi, F A N T A S T I C work! Wow, you are so ambitious~! I just LOVE you and your wifes' costumes! You've really hit all the marks and the handbag is going to be a wonderful addition. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
PotionMistress - Thank you very much.

Sometimes I think I might be a little too ambitious! The necklace box is about 3/4 done, and I haven't worked on the handbag in a while.

My wife's sewing together the McGonagall outfit from HBP, the one with the pointy shoulders and winged collar:
1 Necklace.jpg
2 Professor-McGonagall green cloth.jpg
After searching for about 3 years, we finally found some dark green waffle weave fabric that's close enough. She's combining three commercial patterns and has the ruffly dress done. I get to make the Celtic clasp and I had to design the hat because the commercially available one is slightly under expectation.

My Prof. Snape costume is starting to show its age so she's going to re-make it but we're using the more correct dark navy midnight blue fabric this time.

We have the fabric for Hagrid (for a brother). I get to make the boots (size 17+), and the belt buckle. And there's the Umbridge costume for his wife.

Then there's the wings for the golden Snitch and I bought a metal spinning tool kit to make horns for Decoy Detonators, but now Decoys are available from the WOHP at Universal, so what's the point. :(

... and we're decorating our house in Hogwarts fashion for Halloween.

ATL

4 necklace in box.jpg

5 box closed.jpg

Here's the finished necklace and box. The box really needs to be "distressed" to make it look old, but I'd probably ruin the whole thing, so I'm just going to let it age naturally.

ATL

Update: Oops soz I didn't realise one of those is fan made :wacko[/QUOTE]

That's correct. I made the box that's pictured.
attachment.php

I cut out and fabricated a wood box, covered it in genuine leather grained vinyl, added velvet covered inserts, and installed hinges and clasps from Tandy Leather.

There are very few good pictures of the actual prop box, and none of the pictures (I found) show the box closed which would give clues about the clasps used. This picture:
attachment.php

is the actual prop which is touring with the Harry Potter Exhibition currently in Paris. I saw the Exhibition when it was in Toronto, but I didn't pay attention to the box at that time, and photography wasn't allowed. It sort of shows the edge of the clasps, which seem to be substantial.

I believe the box you reference in the link is the one currently being sold at Borgin and Burkes at Universal. The necklace is done very well, and the box is OK. IMHO.

I was lucky enough to show the box/necklace to Miraphora Mina of Mina Lima Designs and she commented that she rather liked my choice of clasp, so I'm happy with it.

ATL

Attachments

• agfaIMG_1419.JPG
    agfaIMG_1419.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,506
  • DSCN3126.JPG
    DSCN3126.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1,450
I am so amazed at what you have achieved. I wish I had half your talent!
I would like to ask do you have a copy of the pattern you generated for prof Trelawneys carpet bag, I also would like to make one.
Living where I do in the Southern Hemisphere there isn't much opportunity to buy HP stuff.
Thanks Ysabel

Although I have several props from the Harry Potter movies in the works, I wanted to share the progress on two of them.

My wife has a very good Professor Trelawney costume which she’s been wearing to various cons.
View attachment 362779

Since there always seems to be a need to carry junk around - cell phone, water bottle, camera, snacks, and so on, we thought an appropriate carrier would be the handbag that Professor Trelawney uses and is shown ever so briefly in HP and the Order of the Phoenix when she’s being sacked by Umbridge.
View attachment 362780

After several googling attempts to find one already made were unsuccessful, it became apparent that we (I) would have to make one ourselves. Since the bag has a carpet like appearance, I sifted through a few on-line videos, and adopted a hooked rug approach. I generated a pattern and transferred it to the backing material.
View attachment 362781

Bought some yarn and started hooking :) .
View attachment 362782

Unfortunately, at the rate I’m going, this’ll take the better part of a year to finish :(

ATL
Greetings from Jackson, GA. Saw your Prof. Trelawney handbag and was amazed. Do you have any current pics? I ask because we are trying our best at a Prof. Trelawney cosplay ourselves....hoping to have her ready for "Days of the Dead" in Atlanta, GA Feb. 7th-9th 2020 at the Sheraton. Any info you'd be willing to share about the hand bag build would be greatly appreciated. Hyway

Although I have several props from the Harry Potter movies in the works, I wanted to share the progress on two of them.

My wife has a very good Professor Trelawney costume which she’s been wearing to various cons.
View attachment 362779

Since there always seems to be a need to carry junk around - cell phone, water bottle, camera, snacks, and so on, we thought an appropriate carrier would be the handbag that Professor Trelawney uses and is shown ever so briefly in HP and the Order of the Phoenix when she’s being sacked by Umbridge.
View attachment 362780

After several googling attempts to find one already made were unsuccessful, it became apparent that we (I) would have to make one ourselves. Since the bag has a carpet like appearance, I sifted through a few on-line videos, and adopted a hooked rug approach. I generated a pattern and transferred it to the backing material.
View attachment 362781

View attachment 362782

Unfortunately, at the rate I’m going, this’ll take the better part of a year to finish :(

ATL
Do you sell the pattern for this purse? I would love to make one for my costume

View attachment 362779

View attachment 362780

View attachment 362781

View attachment 362782

ATL
[/QU

View attachment 362779

View attachment 362780

View attachment 362781

View attachment 362782

ATL
Wow! this is awesome. Did you ever finish the Professor Trelawney bag?

Greetings. Brand new to the forum and I am so very impressed with your replica Cursed Opal necklace. I have been searching for the Universal Store necklace and have, like many others, had zero luck. I am curious to know if you or anyone on the forum does commission work. If so, I would certainly be interested.

Using 112 jump rings of various sizes and shapes, I was able to connect together all the parts of the necklace.
View attachment 367870

It's basically finished. Now for the wood box!

sonicfreak04 - Regarding the locket you'd like to make, and how I'd approach it: I'd start by downloading every image I could find of the real prop, and then in super slow motion, re-watch all the movie scenes with the locket, and develop a clear view in my mind exactly what the locket should look like (it's a MinaLima design). Then I'd draw it to scale (for me-using AutoCad), and sketch details that I find important. From this I'd decide what materials I could use and that I have the capability of working with. That is, I would think ideally the locket should be made of an amber colored crystal, but I have no way of working with crystal or glass. I'd probably settle for amber plastic or polymer clay and then have to figure out how to add the green gems to make the "S" and engrave the runes into it. (Another possibility is the 3D model and 3D printer approach of which I'd have to climb the learning curve, but to which Turbo Sausage has used to good effect to make his Snitch). I'd probably try to use sheet brass to make the metal parts, because it's available, easily machined, solderable, and easily plated.

It's difficult to be more specific without actually making one, and I do have the Noble Collection lockets.

I hope this helps.

ATL

Actually - no. I had a little bit of surgery earlier this year (after all it is 2020) and had some time to work on it. I'm not good at "hooking" and it's like drawing a digital picture one pixel at a time. June 7th:
1 6-7-2020.png

August 5th:
2 8-5-2020.jpg

I work on it about an hour at time. It's just slow going!

ATL

Do you sell the pattern for this purse? I would love to make one for my costume

See the attached. You'll need to find some way of printing it. I had access to a full size plotter and scaled it to around 18 x 18 inches. I believe the actual prop is more like 24 x 24. The larger you make it - the longer it's going to take!

ATL

Attachments

• Trelawney handbag 18 inch pattern.pdf
    713 KB · Views: 158
Greetings. Brand new to the forum and I am so very impressed with your replica Cursed Opal necklace. I have been searching for the Universal Store necklace and have, like many others, had zero luck. I am curious to know if you or anyone on the forum does commission work. If so, I would certainly be interested.
Thanks! If you can believe the folks at WoHP, I bought the last replica necklace :cool: they were selling. I can't speak for the rest of the RPF community, but I know I do not do commissions. I can not even predict how long it might take to make another and the hours involved would dictate a fairly heavy price, and besides, it's seems that most of the findings and the opals I used are no longer available. :(

Sorry, ATL

Actually - no. I had a little bit of surgery earlier this year (after all it is 2020) and had some time to work on it. I'm not good at "hooking" and it's like drawing a digital picture one pixel at a time. June 7th:
View attachment 1333486
August 5th:
View attachment 1333487
I work on it about an hour at time. It's just slow going!

ATL
Sorry to hear that you had surgery but I am hoping that it went well and that you will recover. The bag is looking amazing. What brand of thread are you using if you don't mind letting us know.

See the attached. You'll need to find some way of printing it. I had access to a full size plotter and scaled it to around 18 x 18 inches. I believe the actual prop is more like 24 x 24. The larger you make it - the longer it's going to take!

ATL
Thank you so much for the pattern, you are awesome!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back