ooohhhoooo green bullets!!!

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
forgive the rather bad pics, but the camera on my phone is rather craptacular.

i finished these up with some black sand in the "pitted" areas to let it resemble a regular rock matrix. i think they came out pretty well. the hollow points are just green resin tipped (polyester and epoxy, the darker being the epoxy).

the ones with the white background are just regular old nice bubble free castings.

next up, lighting one of these lil bastards up :), they already kinda glow from the light around them, but i want to see something bright. maybe some foil on the bottom of a bullet? LED insert possibly.

anywho, just wanted to share :)

[attachmentid=7553]
[attachmentid=7554]
[attachmentid=7555]

hopefully one day soon i will have my camera back up and running, and can take a little bit better shot.

chris

Nice work. I'm actually working on the same thing right now. :lol When you start looking at what props you can make with green resin this one pops up pretty fast. Kryptonite rocks first, then other kryptonite items. Stop me if I'm wrong, but have you been looking at Green Lantern rings a little more lately too? I know I have. :p

Are you using Castin' Craft? Or just another generic clear resin?

I'm liking the look of the pistol shells. Something a little different than the standard rifle ammo is always nice. That said, I'm casting up rifle ammo. :$ Less to choose from in Canada anyhow.

Congrats on a few great new pieces.

This reminds me of the Hellboy tracker bullet project that never came to fruitation. :cry

:lol yea, im looking at green lanterns ring as well. i have some custom ones i did a few years ago that have just been in the bookcase, and trying my hardest to get this one figured out that i have been working on for a few weeks. not much luck as that epoxy resin takes between 24-72 hours to cure :(

phase pistol, with superman, after you make the costume, and a crystal or two, you start to run out of stuff he uses so you have to turn to the stuff that people use against him ;)

these are .45 so they would be pretty small compared to a hellboy sized bullet, but making one would be pretty easy if there was an actual shell that size. if it was custom work... hoooboy that would get expensive pretty quick.

i have a few rifle bullets to try, but i dont have many rifles, so i figured i would give actual bullets a shot (HAH. pun.) first, then work my way up to the big .50 sniper rounds :)

also on the platter (as soon as i find the damned episode to screencap) is brisco's orb bullet. got a lead on the size i need, just need some caps of it to bring to the gun shop to see if its something that can be made pretty easily or not.

chris

oh yea, castincraft as the resin for both.

polyester and the epoxy resin. polyester stinks to high heaven and stays tacky for days, the epoxy takes a day or so to get solid and pretty tack free, and another 2 days or so to completely dry out.

the epoxy wins out overall though if its a quick/dirty project like these were. it may take a longer amount of time, but the color stays less yellow and the mixture is 1:1, not some weird "5 drops, but 6 if you spin counter clockwise and hop on one foot, 7 if your name has the letter "h" in it, or just 4 if you live in colorado" formula.

its about the same price, but theres a smaller 1:1 kit (8 total ounces i think) for about 5 bucks or so. worth playing with at least once.

chris

Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Apr 10 2006, 10:46 PM
This reminds me of the Hellboy tracker bullet project that never came to fruitation.  :cry
[snapback]1224076[/snapback]​

I think you mean "fruition". :lol

Tho I really like "fruitation", I may start using that. :D

As in, "Iran's nookyooler program must not come to fruitation."

- k

Hello
last year I made the ammo for Underworld Evolutions. I was the propmaker on the show. I think you'll get better results if you pour a batch into a brass tube and then demold it. The trick is to turn them on a lathe to the exact size and then polish them. I used blue LED for the ones I made but each bullet was a small flashlight in itself.

rick

very cool.

i just cant imagine using a lathe on these things. for a movie, i guess i could :D

for something thats gonna sit on my shelf... regular ol rubber is fine.

terrific shots of the bullets though. i dig the cutaway sections.

any tips or tricks for putting the LED in there?

chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back