One thing the Mandalorian did do - ST

The fact that I've enjoyed and even loved certain episodes or aspects of this show is a testament to the care and thought that went into it. Despite my criticisms it's not bad.

Well, I guess if you like having a fun ride, being entertained, and having iconic Star Wars characters meet your expectations, then The Mandalorian is, indeed, the show for you.

Some of us, however, like to have our expectations subverted and to be given soul-crushing disappointment in our Star Wars experiences; The Sequel Trilogy delivered this so much better than The Mandalorian. As a matter of fact, in that sense, The Mandalorian didn’t even try—I dare anyone to try to have that argument with me.

So, yeah, if you like receiving exactly the tasty meal you ordered, leaving with your belly full, and your appetite thoroughly satisfied, then The Mandalorian is “your Star Wars”. For the rest of us, who like vomit poured over our meal, and a punch in the face from the server, we will continue to embrace The Sequel Trilogy.

Thank you very much.

There was that ONE SCENE where I coulda sworn Katee Sakoff was flying around in space all by herself!

And I was like..."YESSS!!!"

but then I saw that she was wearing a jet pack.

*SIGH*

Maybe I misunderstood some comments then, reading them I got the impression that some people were indeed saying Mando was qualitatively not as good as the OT, hence my own comment. But if you’re saying that Mando is not as good as it could on its own I somewhat agree, I would never say no the Star Wars with breaking bad level of quality, which it is definitely not. Wasn’t expecting that neither. Though in the end for me it was more than good enough to entertain me and I’m looking forward to having a lot more Star Wars regularly on D+, alongside the Marvel shows.

Honestly I don't understand why fans are going crazy and literally crying over a bad deep fake with a terribly dubbed lip sync that sounds nothing like Hamill and saying it's "bad ass?" Mark had nothing to do with it other than having his face used.

Psab
This isn't accurate, though. Mark did in fact do the voice over for that episode. it's why he's credited at the end, and I watched an interview with Jon Favreau where he confirms it. So while we do see a CGI face for Luke (and the actor was a stunt player and not Mark) the voice WAS him, and so it's not true to say he had nothing to do with it apart from a CGI face.

I'm not one of those that *hates* the ST like you all do, but I also don't mindlessly defend them. There is plenty of crap in them, and I'm not at all happy with how it ended. Likewise, there are things in Mando that i don't think are all that great, but overall i really like it.

I guess I'm easy to please with Star Wars, and really the only things I don't care for are the animated ones...that's kind of my blind spot.

Maybe I misunderstood some comments then, reading them I got the impression that some people were indeed saying Mando was qualitatively not as good as the OT, hence my own comment. But if you’re saying that Mando is not as good as it could on its own I somewhat agree, I would never say no the Star Wars with breaking bad level of quality, which it is definitely not. Wasn’t expecting that neither. Though in the end for me it was more than good enough to entertain me and I’m looking forward to having a lot more Star Wars regularly on D+, alongside the Marvel shows.
That's a totally fair and reasonable assessment. I apologize if my post came off as a bit combative. It's often said that Star Wars isn't Shakespeare, but I would argue that it's the Shakespeare of it's genre.
This isn't accurate, though. Mark did in fact do the voice over for that episode. it's why he's credited at the end, and I watched an interview with Jon Favreau where he confirms it. So while we do see a CGI face for Luke (and the actor was a stunt player and not Mark) the voice WAS him, and so it's not true to say he had nothing to do with it apart from a CGI face.

I'm not one of those that *hates* the ST like you all do, but I also don't mindlessly defend them. There is plenty of crap in them, and I'm not at all happy with how it ended. Likewise, there are things in Mando that i don't think are all that great, but overall i really like it.

I guess I'm easy to please with Star Wars, and really the only things I don't care for are the animated ones...that's kind of my blind spot.
When I posted that I wasn't aware of Mark's involvement in the episode, so that was ignorance on my part. I don't begrudge any fan for loving something I don't. I may not understand it, but like I've said before it's not my place to tell anyone how to be a fan. I think Mandalorian has a lot to offer and I've truly enjoyed a lot of it. I too have my blind spots and readily acknowledge them though so I'm not going to sugarcoat it. I always admire how cool and collected your posts are kristen jones. :)

Well the simple fact we’re having all those discussions today, and the sheer legacy of these films speaks for themselves, don’t know if I would call them shakespearien, but they were, are still, a milestone of movie making.

Honestly my best hope for a truly class A written and acted Star Wars film would be Patty Jenkins’ rogue squadron. Has a lot of potential to be special as well, and potentially Jedi and OT characters free, satisfying itches some of you have also.

I saw a pic of two kids playing with Star Wars toys earlier, with a legend saying Filoni and Favreau writing Mandalorian, I fully agree, but whereas it’s a bad thing for some, I rather enjoy it, because ******** if I wouldn’t do the same!

Having such an array of Star Wars in TV and big screen should mean that there should be something for everyone hopefully!

Yes and I've said as much in previous posts for the last few weeks. If the show has enough faith in it's original material (characters/ plot) then it shouldn't have had to rely on known scenarios and characters.
I think in this case it's because Favreau/Filoni are wanting to build a universe like they did with Marvel. I'm not saying I want that... only saying that it's likely why they are doing all of these appearances with known characters.

Which is why I call it the Shakespeare of it's genre. As a space adventure/ western in space/ space samurai/ ww2 in space/ modern myth, it's a benchmark to be sure and im my estimation, the pinnacle.

I too think Rogue Squadron with Patty Jenkins at the helm has real potential to be a truly exciting film. Especially if she can lend some of her father's personal experience as a fighter pilot to inform her choices creatively, I think it could easily lend an authenticity to it that will be more than just conceptual. Sadly I know he died when she was young, but I have no doubt his vocation had a major impact on her.

Last edited:
Even the early Marvel films knew not to go whole hog with the references, though. At most you got a wink, an end credits scene, or a name here and there. They acclimated us to the “cinematic universe”. The closest that Marvel has gotten to S2 of the Mandalorian would probably be something like Dr. Strange in Thor Ragnarok. And even that scene is more subdued and appropriate contextually than the cameo episodes of this season.

Again not sure why we now have two of these threads (really it’s three with the All Things SW one) but my biggest gripe with Luke is that he’s a deus ex machina that undercuts all of the work Mando and friends have done the whole season. They had literally no idea he would show up, no way out otherwise, and then he swings in and cleans house. That’s just not interesting narratively for me.

Again not sure why we now have two of these threads (really it’s three with the All Things SW one) but my biggest gripe with Luke is that he’s a deus ex machina that undercuts all of the work Mando and friends have done the whole season. They had literally no idea he would show up, no way out otherwise, and then he swings in and cleans house. That’s just not interesting narratively for me.
That was my problem with the finale, but in an opposite way. Luke would've done the exact same thing, whether Mando & crew were there at all.

The only things we got from them being there is the goodbye with Grogu & Mando getting the Darksaber, which is also continuing the story of the show.

I very much enjoyed the Luke scene because of the BS the ST did to Luke. His Story ended in 1983, I agree with that. But by destroying Luke in the worst movie ever made needed to be answered in a way. If this is the last screen appearance of Luke I can live with that.

He risked his life to save Leia in ANH, and again in Empire he tried to rescue his friends and even though he failed, his efforts showed bravery. Focusing on his failure and not on the attempt seems foolish to me because he may not have rescued them, but he didn't give in to the dark side which is what his mentors feared. In Jedi he risked it again to save Vader and he won through his compassion. Then he did it again to save a stranger in Grogu. Too bad he didn't care enough about his nephew (or any of his family and friends) to show up in person in the ST. At the least the risk of death would have made him heroic and would have made up for his cowardice. Zero risk taken in the ST. Zero. If the projection killed him it would have been a stretch but he wasn't even afforded that small dignity. Luke is a hero because time and again he risks his life and is willing to die for his convictions. That's what makes him an icon. There's enough cynics in the world. Did we really need Luke Skywalker to be one of them too?

Smh.

I guess in a small way I can understand the thrill of seeing Luke be a hero one last time in Mandalorian, but it ultimately it doesn't undo the damage.

Last edited:
He risked his life to save Leia in ANH, and again in Empire he tried to rescue his friends and even though he failed, his efforts showed bravery. Focusing on his failure and not on the attempt seems foolish to me because he may not have rescued them, but he didn't give in to the dark side which is what his mentors feared. In Jedi he risked it again to save Vader and he won through his compassion. Then he did it again to save a stranger in Grogu. Too bad he didn't care enough about his nephew (or any of his family and friends) to show up in person in the ST. At the least the risk of death would have made him heroic and would have made up for his cowardice. Zero risk taken in the ST. Zero. If the projection killed him it would have been a stretch but he wasn't even afforded that small dignity. Luke is a hero because time and again he risks his life and is willing to die for his convictions. That's what makes him an icon. There's enough cynics in the world. Did we really need Luke Skywalker to be one of them too?

Smh.

I guess in a small way I can understand the thrill of seeing Luke be a hero one last time in Mandalorian, but it ultimately it doesn't undo the damage.
It doesn't but it gives me kind of satisfaction that He truly is that hero he was meant to be. I understand everyone the scenes did nothing to. My hate for the ST and especially TLJ is so big, I needed to see Luke as He was shown in Mandalorian. It just showed me that Luke indeed became a great Jedi and not just Jake Skywalker. And I loved it because of Mark Hamill who really cares about his characters and has so much passion for his work. I truly believe that it was great and kind of a redemption for him as well.

I think the really big problem with the last three films is that the other films and the Mandalorian are moments in time of a big universe were the last three films are the continuous Rey story. There are gaps were other things have happened between the other films. Rogue One is a gap.
From a storytelling point of view the last three films have a good central story however it does not honor what has come before or make rational sense with the whole Luke story line. Then they have new characters that they use as story props and nothing else so they just waste them and wonder why fans do not like them.
Also until the last film they seem to forget that they have a whole universe to reference in easter egg form. I know there are some amazing little touches however they almost make it worse because what could they have done if they tried.
Finally, were are all the jedi and force capable people apart from Rey? That is the problem with the Luke storyline in that it seems to say he is the only path to the jedi however we know there are at least 3 other trained jedis out there so what are they doing?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back