One thing the Mandalorian did do - ST

I thought the same thing :) Other than the Billy D part.

Still not sure how you bring them all back and make the conscious decision to never give them a scene together. It's like making the super bowl and thinking you'll outcoach the other side by playing your 3rd string qb instead of the starter.
Best analogy EVER!

I thought the same thing :) Other than the Billy D part.

Still not sure how you bring them all back and make the conscious decision to never give them a scene together. It's like making the super bowl and thinking you'll outcoach the other side by playing your 3rd string qb instead of the starter.
And have the equipment manager call the plays.

Seems as if the only real plan was to have 1 feature each of the three, but to be stupid enough never to put all three in the same shot - or for that matter the same planet - at the same time.

I dunno. It seems to me that if you got the gang together one last time for one big adventure, then that suddenly deflates your new characters and what they're trying to do; damned if you do, damned if you don't. The original trio is just inherently more interesting and having them on one last romp together...whatever new you'd try to do would never measure up. They would steal the thunder.

The most they should be are cameos---show they're still around, involved, and important to the world they helped build---but it really shouldn't be anything about them. They had their time.

Last edited:
28B92D30-A765-4DDB-B8F5-471D54EFEE78.gif

Honestly I don't understand why fans are going crazy and literally crying over a bad deep fake with a terribly dubbed lip sync that sounds nothing like Hamill and saying it's "bad ass?"

I completely and utterly agree to this. I see everyone going absolutely ******* over this and I just...

I don't get it.

I'm also not crazy over Luke. I don't think he's the best jedi...I also don't think he remotely fit. But I said this in the main thread, so I don't get why there are TWO threads now...

Anyways...the ST was already crap. Force Awakens was good, but they were all re-hashings of the originals with less charm. BB-8 was the only charm found in those. I honestly still haven't watched 'Rise' and don't plan on it.

I genuinely had fun watching Mando and it gave me something to look forward to. I hand sculpted my own Baby Yoda. I was in the middle of 3D printing a Mando helmet and then...the finale really blew it for me. I'm still sitting here refusing to watch the episode again, and I usually rewatch Mando several times. I just...can't.

Thanks, I hate it.

The last season's finale had a nice, tied up ending. This one felt empty, disjointed and shoe horned. Just to please Luke fan boys who begged to see Luke in some godly form I don't think he ever was meant to achieve. There are far more interesting characters out there in the ether of SW, Luke is not one of them to me. :sleep:

I love Luke.. he's my favorite character but his story ended in 1983. This show should have been about the new characters and with a few exceptions it was about anything else this season. I said it a year ago that as long as they keep the focus on unknown characters as much as possible it has a fighting chance. Oh well.

I love Luke.. he's my favorite character but his story ended in 1983. This show should have been about the new characters and with a few exceptions it was about anything else this season. I said it a year ago that as long as they keep the focus on unknown characters as much as possible it has a fighting chance. Oh well.

So, I take it you'd prefer to have Boba Fett stay dead in the pit, have Ashoka MIA and never have Bo-Kataan seen in any episodes as well? I ask because those are also characters from past Star Wars, all of them loved just as much as Luke was, too.

So, I take it you'd prefer to have Boba Fett stay dead in the pit, have Ashoka MIA and never have Bo-Kataan seen in any episodes as well? I ask because those are also characters from past Star Wars, all of them loved just as much as Luke was, too.
Yes…that was the point of his post. Explicitly directed at these callbacks and cameos.

Honestly though, I feel like some of you have a bit of a rose tinted view of the OT. I really like them, they are quintessential Star Wars, and did some things wonderfully, but they were not a masterclass in writing or acting... There is better writing and acting in some Mando episodes IMO. The bill burr imperial cantina scene comes to mind immediately by example. There is also worst writing and acting in Mando here and there though, but overall saying that Mando is of a worse quality than the OT seems objectively very wrong.

Cherry-picking the one scene in two seasons that had excellent writing and acting and comparing it against films forty years old isn’t very objective. The point isn’t the “acting and writing”. It’s the consistency, simplicity, and heart of the OT. People keep saying “everything is fan service, blah blah blah, if you make entertainment it’s all about making fans happy”. But in 1977, people didn’t clap at the screen when Luke strode on to the screen as Aunt Beru asked him to get a droid that spoke Bocce. He was a new character. They didn’t include some witty “reference” to a Flash Gordon character that was more of a stop sign than a reference in those films. Those movies relied on storytelling instead of shallow meta-narrative contrivances meant to get people to applaud at something without thinking about it too much. Every big franchise or IP that’s full of ‘member berries and nostalgia bait was, at one point, an original idea. A lot of people seem to forget that.

Also, basing an argument for why some new Star Wars is better because “the OT isn’t perfect” is not going to win you said argument. No one who loves the OT claims that it’s perfect. They’re just more genuine and less corporate and superficial than the new stuff. S1 of the Mandalorian was fun, but much like TFA, if it didn’t step up its game after that, it was in danger of slipping into solid mediocrity. Which it has. Maybe now that all the pointless cameos have their own shows, S3 will get better, but I highly doubt it. SW fans have clearly demonstrated to Disney that they just want to watch filmmakers play with action figures they recognize.

Yes and I've said as much in previous posts for the last few weeks. If the show has enough faith in it's original material (characters/ plot) then it shouldn't have had to rely on known scenarios and characters. As HMSwolfe said, the other characters you reference can now have their own shows so it wasn't necessary to introduce all of them in this one. Would there be references and callbacks? Sure, but this season was too overt with them and it was to the detriment of the characters created for this show. I've been very consistent in the points I've raised and yet people have been acting like I hated everything because I objected to certain aspects of it which baffles me because I'm not saying anything new. But to repeat myself yet again, I've said I wanted this show to steer clear of any known characters as much as possible, no matter what movie/ show/ comic/ novel they come from because it's a distraction from Din and company.

Honestly though, I feel like some of you have a bit of a rose tinted view of the OT. I really like them, they are quintessential Star Wars, and did some things wonderfully, but they were not a masterclass in writing or acting... There is better writing and acting in some Mando episodes IMO. The bill burr imperial cantina scene comes to mind immediately by example. There is also worst writing and acting in Mando here and there though, but overall saying that Mando is of a worse quality than the OT seems objectively very wrong.
Where did I ever say the Mandalorian is of a worse quality than the OT? I've made numerous posts praising the very scene you're referencing, often gushing about it. I've long abandoned trying to make comparisons between trilogies/ tv shows, etc because ultimately the work has to stand on it's own. When I do reference the other material, I try to keep it brief and it's only used to punctuate a specific point. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by now that some fans latch onto one post they disagree with and automatically jump to this kind of deflection or conflate something I've said to come to conclusions I didn't make.

If your go to defense against my observation is to criticize the source material then I can't take your point seriously. If you take objection to what I say, at the very least show some initiative to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why I'm wrong and the conviction to defend your perspective.

Last edited:
All in the family was a popular show in the 70’s. Spin off series from it were.
Maude
The Jeffersons
Archie Bunker’s place
Checking In
Gloria
704 Houser

from Maude came Good Times

Happy Days, another 70’s show
From it came,
Lavern and Shirley
Blansky’s Beauties
Mork and Mindy
Mork and Mindy animated series
Out of the blue
The Fonz and the Happy Days gang
Joanie loves Chachi

The Oprah Winfrey Show

Dr. Phil
Oprah after the show
Rachael Ray
The Dr. Oz show
The Nate Berkus show

Just a few examples.

Your right, all these Mando cameos are unprecedented.

Show me the quote where I said it was unprecedented. All I said it was that it was partly to the detriment of this season. Why is this such an objection to everyone? I didn't punch your Grogu like that biker scout did.

I try to look at these things as objectively as I can. I'm failing to see the reason for the sarcasm.

Fair enough. Though considering your post followed mine, it seemed to be addressing my points. Or maybe Mara Jade's Father can step in to remind everyone how self centered I am. ;)

I will say that in a lot of the examples you gave they were characters that started as incidentals who ended up with spin offs as opposed to the ones in Mandalorian who existed long before this show aired, which does inherently make a difference in the way some fans would accept or not accept their appearance.

Last edited:
I wonder if the way Luke was portrayed in TLJ would have been better accepted in a general sense if the films had focused on him as a teacher, like starting with the new Jedi order, and watching him fall to more and more of the corrupted prequel beliefs, before finally reaching out to “stop” Ben and then realizing, “****, I’ve become a prequel Jedi,” and then have the resulting fallout. Then have his redemption and return to form as the Jedi we saw in ROTJ, who wouldn’t give up on his family, or I guess more importantly, someone who just needed help. Not all crammed into one movie, I suppose. It’s kind of TFA’s fault for starting (and ending) where it did—it’s like the least interesting place to start as a sequel trilogy, but it “makes sense” as a soft reboot, and Disney was hellbent on making Star Wars more international, so remaking ANH with slightly broader appeal was the directive. Mandalorian definitely gets credit for trying to be fun and not bogged down with its own self-importance

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back