One thing the Mandalorian did do - ST

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Mandalorian had made the recent ST look absolutely crap now, however that was always my belief anyway. It makes you realise how good cast / acting researchers and producers are when looking for the right people, and with Mandalorian they killed it. If the ST didnt happen there is so much more can happen after Mando. It opens up so much.

Luke,a character was destroyed in the sequels.

Well done Disney for Mando, R1 and Solo. Time to banish the sequels as they are complete mistakes in my opinion. Wooden films, with wooden actors.

Well, I guess if you like having a fun ride, being entertained, and having iconic Star Wars characters meet your expectations, then The Mandalorian is, indeed, the show for you.

Some of us, however, like to have our expectations subverted and to be given soul-crushing disappointment in our Star Wars experiences; The Sequel Trilogy delivered this so much better than The Mandalorian. As a matter of fact, in that sense, The Mandalorian didn’t even try—I dare anyone to try to have that argument with me.

So, yeah, if you like receiving exactly the tasty meal you ordered, leaving with your belly full, and your appetite thoroughly satisfied, then The Mandalorian is “your Star Wars”. For the rest of us, who like vomit poured over our meal, and a punch in the face from the server, we will continue to embrace The Sequel Trilogy.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Mandalorian had made the recent ST look absolutely crap now

Wait the Mandalorian did this now? Woah, what I'm missing here? Credits rolled in a 600 seat cinema after TLJ and a guy stands up screaming this is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen and 599 people answer: You're right!

That was my defining ST moment. And yeah, at that moment it was crap and TLJ was, I think with intention, the worst movie ever made with a script that could not even compete with the all time classic "The Room".

They really do need to just Highlander 2 the Sequel trilogy.
The question is, do they have the balls to do something like that. I seriously doubt it. All the suits that put it in motion are still in their respective spots for the most part. To get that many people to say 'i was wrong', i'd say is a virtual impossibility.

As someone else said, maybe use the world between worlds from rebels to make it an alternative universe, ala JJ Trek.

The question is, do they have the balls to do something like that. I seriously doubt it. All the suits that put it in motion are still in their respective spots for the most part. To get that many people to say 'i was wrong', i'd say is a virtual impossibility.

As someone else said, maybe use the world between worlds from rebels to make it an alternative universe, ala JJ Trek.

The Ruin timeline where absolutely everything makes no sense and you need to be female to gain power. And not in a way Leia does with bravery and determination but with nothing!

Well, I guess if you like having a fun ride, being entertained, and having iconic Star Wars characters meet your expectations, then The Mandalorian is, indeed, the show for you.

Some of us, however, like to have our expectations subverted and to be given soul-crushing disappointment in our Star Wars experiences; The Sequel Trilogy delivered this so much better than The Mandalorian. As a matter of fact, in that sense, The Mandalorian didn’t even try—I dare anyone to try to have that argument with me.

So, yeah, if you like receiving exactly the tasty meal you ordered, leaving with your belly full, and your appetite thoroughly satisfied, then The Mandalorian is “your Star Wars”. For the rest of us, who like vomit poured over our meal, and a punch in the face from the server, we will continue to embrace The Sequel Trilogy.

Thank you very much.
Pure gold here. You say "vomit" , I say epic steaming pile of blue whale feces dumped over our meal...

rianpoop1.jpg

TFAmeme.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly I don't understand why fans are going crazy and literally crying over a bad deep fake with a terribly dubbed lip sync that sounds nothing like Hamill and saying it's "bad ass?" Mark had nothing to do with it other than having his face used. I had to get out of the Mando thread itself to avoid Joek3rr otherwise I would have brought this up in that thread. I just couldn't stand to get sucked into his vortex of "the ST is awesome and you're stupid for not loving it with undying devotion." I've been debating him endlessly on loop for the last 3 years ever since that movie came out and I just can't do it anymore. I really hope he doesn't pop into this thread because I'll have to abandon this one too or give him the privilege of being the first person to be put on ignore.

I honestly don't get it though. "Luke" was doing exactly what we watched every Prequel Jedi do for 3 films, namely mess up droids with lightsabers and the Force. It was tired by the end of The Phantom Menace because they were weed whacking harmless stick robots. Sure I know the Dark Troopers were more of a threat but "bad ass?" REALLY????

I just feel like no one remembers how insanely awesome Luke Skywalker is in Return of the Jedi. Think about all the crazy awesome skill he shows off in that movie, and before we get bogged down into a debate about Ewoks, Luke's story in that movie is the strongest thing in that film and what elevates it into being a classic. Even the detractors have to admit that the climax of that movie with him and Vader is easily the best of it and some of the best of the entire saga.

I'm not about to tell anyone how to love Star Wars so I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just don't understand what is so great about this finale? Is it cool to see that not everyone at Lucasfilm is a contrarian dick who loves trashing a beloved hero? Yes. Is it likely a gesture of trying to make up for the failures of the ST? Possibly. Are fans so desperate to have the character "redeemed" that they are willing to accept a terrible facsimile in order to wash out the bad taste Rian and JJ left in their mouths? I really think so. I mean I get not wanting to have your last perception of Luke being tainted by his ultimate failures as a hero, but it doesn't erase the coward he becomes, unless they find a way to decanonize the ST, which I doubt would ever happen. Even then, it still wouldn't prevent those films from existing, nor would it ever make up for the lost opportunity to see our heroes reunited one last time.

After years of hoping against all odds that Star Wars could be elevated the way the OT was by a team of capable writers and production, I've just given up. I read so many novels through the 1990's and enjoyed them for the most part though never considering them canon because they weren't the films, though upon revisiting them most never held up. I tried so hard to love the Prequels. I skipped Clone Wars and Rebels. I gave TFA a shot and waited hesitantly for episode 8, all the while sitting bored through Rogue One, and then 8 happened. I skipped the next two movies entirely as a result and though I was angry about the fate of my beloved heroes I figured I could just move on. Then the Mandalorian happened. I had friends bugging me literally multiple times a day for over a year and I had enough. I had access to Disney Plus for free and finally relented, only to have been brought to this inevitable end.

And I realized that no one, and I mean no one has even come remotely close to the brilliance of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I know some fans are just going to claim I'm one of those people that "will never be happy" :rolleyes: but if you've actually read the above paragraph as well as looked at my posts throughout the years you'll understand that all I ever wanted was the writing to be better and it's not some impossible task because it's been done before. Especially for my favorite series of all time. I'm fine with that. I've been trying to accept that fact for years now and move on with my life, but have caved to the pressure of my fellow fans to just give it one more try. As well meaning a gesture I simply can't do it anymore and one more try has become one too many.

I'm fine with my three space adventure movies. After all these years I've come to realize I don't want or need any more than three. The story ended almost 40 years ago. Time for me to move on. I can't endure another several decades of debating anymore. I need to create my own fantasy world in my own story, by my own rules and not some fan fiction where I play in George Lucas's sandbox. I want to create my own sandbox. I want to fulfill the promise that Star Wars gave me, namely that it would inspire me to go on to do great things. In my case it means creating my own world to play in with my book. Star Wars was supposed to be the vehicle to inspire young people. I can't keep reliving the past. I need to look to the future.

If you read this far I appreciate you and your perspectives. Even the ones that bucked against my own because they forced me to become a better writer and to really think through my perceptions about story and character.

All the best to you fine people!

Psab

Last edited:
Psab keel I love ya.

I don't have Disney Plus and not watched Mandalorian but I do, unfortunately by circumstance of my love of Star War, keep up with what comes out. I feel the exact same way. If there was a Star Wars AA meeting, this is the part where I'd break down crying and hug you because I'm in the same boat.

I'm sorry but I've never thought just swinging a lightsaber around chopping stuff was cool. Luke chopping droids in a hallway like Vader in RO doesn't do it for me. Luke wasn't a hero because he chopped stuff up; he was more than that. I said it in another thread but Star Wars has come to the point where it's come full circle and is making fan-films of itself to band-aid what it has lacked for near 40 years, and not in the most sophisticated manner.

Honestly I don't understand why fans are going crazy and literally crying over a bad deep fake with a terribly dubbed lip sync that sounds nothing like Hamill and saying it's "bad ass?" Mark had nothing to do with it other than having his face used. I had to get out of the Mando thread itself to avoid Joek3rr otherwise I would have brought this up in that thread. I just couldn't stand to get sucked into his vortex of "the ST is awesome and you're stupid for not loving it with undying devotion." I've been debating him endlessly on loop for the last 3 years ever since that movie came out and I just can't do it anymore. I really hope he doesn't pop into this thread because I'll have to abandon this one too or give him the privilege of being the first person to be put on ignore.

I honestly don't get it though. "Luke" was doing exactly what we watched every Prequel Jedi do for 3 films, namely mess up droids with lightsabers and the Force. It was tired by the end of The Phantom Menace because they were weed whacking harmless stick robots. Sure I know the Dark Troopers were more of a threat but "bad ass?" REALLY????

I just feel like no one remembers how insanely awesome Luke Skywalker is in Return of the Jedi. Think about all the crazy awesome skill he shows off in that movie, and before we get bogged down into a debate about Ewoks, Luke's story in that movie is the strongest thing in that film and what elevates it into being a classic. Even the detractors have to admit that the climax of that movie with him and Vader is easily the best of it and some of the best of the entire saga.

I'm not about to tell anyone how to love Star Wars so I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just don't understand what is so great about this finale? Is it cool to see that not everyone at Lucasfilm is a contrarian dick who loves trashing a beloved hero? Yes. Is it likely a gesture of trying to make up for the failures of the ST? Possibly. Are fans so desperate to have the character "redeemed" that they are willing to accept a terrible facsimile in order to wash out the bad taste Rian and JJ left in their mouths? I really think so. I mean I get not wanting to have your last perception of Luke being tainted by his ultimate failures as a hero, but it doesn't erase the coward he becomes, unless they find a way to decanonize the ST, which I doubt would ever happen. Even then, it still wouldn't prevent those films from existing, nor would it ever make up for the lost opportunity to see our heroes reunited one last time.

After years of hoping against all odds that Star Wars could be elevated the way the OT was by a team of capable writers and production, I've just given up. I read so many novels through the 1990's and enjoyed them for the most part though never considering them canon because they weren't the films, though upon revisiting them most never held up. I tried so hard to love the Prequels. I skipped Clone Wars and Rebels. I gave TFA a shot and waited hesitantly for episode 8, all the while sitting bored through Rogue One, and then 8 happened. I skipped the next two movies entirely as a result and though I was angry about the fate of my beloved heroes I figured I could just move on. Then the Mandalorian happened. I had friends bugging me literally multiple times a day for over a year and I had enough. I had access to Disney Plus for free and finally relented, only to have been brought to this inevitable end.

And I realized that no one, and I mean no one has even come remotely close to the brilliance of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I know some fans are just going to claim I'm one of those people that "will never be happy" :rolleyes: but if you've actually read the above paragraph as well as looked at my posts throughout the years you'll understand that all I ever wanted was the writing to be better and it's not some impossible task because it's been done before. Especially for my favorite series of all time. I'm fine with that. I've been trying to accept that fact for years now and move on with my life, but have caved to the pressure of my fellow fans to just give it one more try. As well meaning a gesture I simply can't do it anymore and one more try has become one too many.

I'm fine with my three space adventure movies. After all these years I've come to realize I don't want or need any more than three. The story ended almost 40 years ago. Time for me to move on. I can't endure another several decades of debating anymore. I need to create my own fantasy world in my own story, by my own rules and not some fan fiction where I play in George Lucas's sandbox. I want to create my own sandbox. I want to fulfill the promise that Star Wars gave me, namely that it would inspire me to go on to do great things. In my case it means creating my own world to play in with my book. Star Wars was supposed to be the vehicle to inspire young people. I can't keep reliving the past. I need to look to the future.

If you read this far I appreciate you and your perspectives. Even the ones that bucked against my own because they forced me to become a better writer and to really think through my perceptions about story and character.

All the best to you fine people!

Psab
Two years ago, I thought to myself, I’ll never be you!

Now I have reached the inevitable end, and we are the same. Star Wars—and by this I mean new Star Wars—could be great, but too many are fans first and storytellers way, way second. Without the drive to take risks, to expand without destroying what came before or using gimmicks and storytelling tropes, without the willingness to go against what fans think they want to see, Star Wars has become every other fictional universe. A place where minuscule details and recognizable imagery are more important than character, story, emotion, greater themes, and longevity.

Sorry, robn1 I couldn't get more than a minute into that before I had to stop it. I get it. Believe me, it broke my heart to see what Luke became in TLJ and I left the theater ready to scream in anger. I spent the last three years railing against this trilogy to the point where I honestly thought I might have a mental break down, so I get it. But unless you can ignore the ST's existence and the ultimate fate of our beloved hero then one "cool" cameo won't erase the hurt those films have caused me. Perhaps for a lot of Luke fans it will. I'm just not one them. I respectfully disagree with you and my post isn't meant to cause further hurt to anyone, especially those of you who like me who have been strung out in frustration over our love of Star Wars. I love all of you, even those who I disagree with.

HMSwolfe I never intended for you to inherit my cynical views. I never wanted that for any fan. I'm so sorry man. My post is my personal feelings on the matter and it was NEVER my intention to tell people how to feel.

Last edited:
Sorry, robn1 I couldn't get more than a minute into that before I had to stop it. I get it. Believe me, it broke my heart to see what Luke became in TLJ and I left the theater ready to scream in anger. I spent the last three tears railing against this trilogy to the point where I honestly thought I might have a mental break down, so I get it. But unless you can ignore the ST's existence and the ultimate fate of our beloved hero then one "cool" cameo won't erase the hurt those films have caused me. Perhaps for a lot of Luke fans it will. I'm just not one them. I respectfully disagree with you and my post isn't meant to cause further hurt to anyone, especially those of you who like me who have been strung out in frustration over our love of Star Wars. I love all of you, even those who I disagree with.

HMSwolfe I never intended for you to inherit my cynical views. I never wanted that for any fan. I'm so sorry man. My post is my personal feelings on the matter and it was NEVER my intention to tell people how to feel.
Haha nope, not your fault. TROS broke my spirit, not you. Well, a lot of people here helped break my spirit, but it wasn’t cynicism that did it. It was wide-eyed wonder at solid mediocrity that killed me.

Honestly I don't understand why fans are going crazy and literally crying over a bad deep fake with a terribly dubbed lip sync that sounds nothing like Hamill and saying it's "bad ass?" Mark had nothing to do with it other than having his face used...

To all your points, this very rational and well-grounded gentleman would like to point out that the words “Lucasfilm” and “Star Wars” appear in the title cards of The Mandalorian finale...

EAFAC0E7-F65F-4767-B939-5DF3F399A5F0.jpeg

Last edited:
The original idea with Luke was from George (and thank goodness the microbial world of midichlorians will never come to happen) and we continue to see hints of his "vision" in all the new material...

I don't think I'm saying anything nuts when I say that George has long since lost his way with Star Wars and hasn't known what to do with it for a long time. The great shame is that it seems no one does either.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back