One Piece Log Pose - plastic balls?

ObiWannabe

Hi guys. Welp, google has failed me and I'm at my wits' end looking for a part. Any help will be loved and appreciated.

I'm working on making a log pose (Log Pose - The One Piece Wiki - Manga, Anime, Pirates, Marines, Treasure, Devil Fruits, and more) from the series One Piece (specifically Ace's, although in the future who knows I may want to churn them out for all characters). The only thing I don't have that I need is a clear plastic sphere. Simple, right? Not so much.

The smallest ball/ornament/sphere that any craft-supply place carries is 2", unless you want super-mini ones no larger than 1". But because of the proportional size to my wrist and the bracelet that holds the compass ball, I need a ball no larger than 1 3/4". I will take, in a pinch, 1 1/2". These things apparently do not exist, at least not hollow plastic ones. Can't get a solid acrylic sphere because, hey, it needs to have a compass needle suspended inside. 2" is too big, and I'm tearing my hair out over that.

So I turn to my beloved prop guys for help. Short of going to every department store in the city looking for capsule toy dispensers with clear balls around that size, does anyone know where I could find something 1.5" to 1.75" (40-45 mm)? Or, barring that, is there anyone with a vacformer who can shrinky-dink a sphere that size around a marble or wooden bead? I know, tall order, since it has to be clear and my own attempts at heat-molding plastic from blister packages around a wooden bead have completely failed. But I'm also prop-technology challenged, so I'm hoping you guys might know something I don't.

have you thought about using those clear christmas baubles they are about 40mm although they do have a little toggle on one end.
!B9t)(lQEWk~$(KGrHqMOKn!Ey1-sZN2RBM6nOG809w~~0_35.JPG

arent there those bubble gum kind of machines that have some toys in balls? these seem to be the right size approximately. but they do have a seam, because its 2 half spheres
but you could possibly mold and cast them in clear plastic? if you want to do that, you could also use table tennis balls

youngpaddy - where did you find 40mm ones? The smallest I could find in every search I did were 50mm (2"). That's pretty much what I'm looking for except in the size I need.

Raithan - now that's what I'm talking about! I don't care about a seam down the middle, I plan to orient it on the equator line because I've been expecting a seam from halves all along. A bit pricey but I'm almost at the point where I'll spend that much. Especially if I can make Nami's log pose or an eternal pose and sell them! THANK YOU!

ursus - fjkashdjkad same thing even cheaper. THANKS!

Now I'm miffed that neither of those came up in my searches. Excuse me while I go kick google in the ass and then get out my credit card.

I knew I could count on you guys. So much love! I'll be back with pics when I finish Ace's log pose, and think about making others.

The wall thickness isn't an issue, thankfully. The thinner the better, actually, given the size of the compass needle that has to be free-hanging inside, I don't need that thing ticking against the ball whenever I move.

Thanks! Now I have options and can go by price and how fast it'll get here. Thanks all of you guys for your help.

Can I just say, Raithan, THANK YOU and oh my god I have a new favorite craft place to order from. I had no problems filling the minimum order with other things I needed, including the teardrop beads I've been looking for for YEARS for Zoro's earrings!

Anyway. I said I'd be back with pics and so I am. These were snapped quick just after I finished the other day, one with flash and one without because the flash reflected off the metal and made a terrible pic. Ace's log pose is on a metal base, unlike Nami's which is on a wooden base and bracelet, so I used real metal (craft tin and some aluminum scraps) as well as a scrap of sintra for the ball housing. My glue job is a bit hinky thanks to having to pry the ball apart to fix the pin and then re-glue it, but you know what? I'm satisfied that it looks better than anything else I've ever seen. Plus I have more acrylic domes to make another one if I so feel like it, or make Nami's, or make an eternal pose.

logposeflash.jpg

logposenoflash.jpg

I always feel a little awkward posting my anime stuff in here but hey! It's a replica!

I should slap up pics of my finished Zoro swords, too. They came out pretty well for a total newb at woodworking.

WELL I know where to get the clear domes to make the spheres for them, now. ;)

I'll dig up my other ancient thread to post the swords or something.

Your Welcome, on the site. I found it by following Steve Neill's Big Enterprise story over in Modelling. I had not ordered from them yet but i have a list a mile long for things that i am looking to build once i have the money.

Wow, That looks really cool. I will admit i had never heard of this show before your post but have since looked it up and it looks like a interesting Anime. I may have to try to see if i can find it and watch a few.

Hey, it's about pirates. Can't go wrong with pirates. A lot of people don't like the art style, but if you give it time to see whether the story hooks you, you'll know whether you can look past that. FUNimation's website streams episodes, I don't know what they have up there right now though.

Kit Kraft was a very professional place to order from, so whoever recced it in the other forum was a godsend for all of us. Do use them in the future.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back