One more Hasbro Rebels X-Wing

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Hopson, May 20, 2015.

1. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Ok I thought it was time for me to start my own thread, for my personal build most of what I have been doing is seeing what kind of parts I can find to make this big X-Wing better. First thing I thought to buy was a 1/48 scale Sherman Easy 8 for the back end of the toy. Lot of parts of the 1/72 scale kit were used t detail the original models. This is a very flat part and does not look very good. I used the Dragon Easy 8 and it is a pretty good match for the old 1/72 scale kit used on the original studio models. I am not worried about every single piece matching exactly the old kit parts I want to get close as I can. but if there is some slight differences I am okay with that. I made a quick mold of the center pice as this is not a bad match for the kit part used on the original and I think with a little care I can get that part to look a lot more like the original part. The third photos of of the Capt Card board kit.
    IMG_9793.jpg IMG_9790.jpg IMG_9787.jpg IMG_9791.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Randy13 likes this.
  2. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

The next thing I decided to start building now wing top engines I have seen a lot of the other builds using the parts that come with the toy but that seems like more work to me then just building new parts. that are a closer match to the original kit parts I have many of these parts so I have easy reference to build these parts. I found that the engine parts on the tops of the wings are slightly larger then they should be this is most likely a result of the molding process that was used for the toy. So the engine are fat and taper own to the correct size of intake. I am more or less scratch building this part. to match the old Airfix Saturn V parts. I cut 5 pieces so that if one goes south I will have at least one extra to start over. I have been building this part while getting some casting done for my figure company so as I wait for the spin casting molds to cool down I do a little building. At first I thought the old Revell 1/96 scale Saturn V would be a good place to find parts close to what I needed but it turns out the parts were so different from the Arifix parts as to be unusable for the most part. I have been able to use some small parts with slight mods. I think the engine bells should work for the interior of the engine. They will also need some minor mods to look more like the Airfix parts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Randy13, knnyjay and Junk Pilot like this.
  3. Randy13

Randy13 Well-Known Member

Looking good!

4. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Love all these types of conversions.

5. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Thanks Guys, I know these parts seem like an odd place to start a build like this but as I said I was just searching for parts that looked like what they used on the original but in a larger scale. I have some old pyro wings that I enlarged up to this scale on a copier to use as a templet. for some new wings I think I may use some acrylic I have left over from an old project just like the originals used. The bones of the engine parts are basic shapes that are not too hard to make using basic materials after those are cut to size it is just detailing the parts to look like the original parts.

6. Randy13

I actually thought those were the best places to start since it only takes a large part to start building around (The Sherman tank and the Saturn V). Did you scratch build that center locomotive part which you made a mold of?

7. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

No that part is from the toy but it is doubled up. I made a second to glue to the back to make it thicker I plan to rework the bottom to square it off like the original. part it is the only part of that area that will more or less be from the toy.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Randy13 and Junk Pilot like this.
  8. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

IMG_0940.JPG A quick update got to work on the rest of the wing top engines. Because the wrap pieces meet in the center I tend to just do one side at a time once the first one has set move on to the other side. This photo gave me fits last night . I had taken the parts in the house to get this photo and had set them on the washer which is angled there is only one over head light ,and it was off to one side so the shadows and angles made it look like every one was crooked in some way but they are are straight and true.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    rbeach84 and Randy13 like this.
  9. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Loving how this is looking at the moment. Gotta get me some tubing.

10. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

That is weird. I saw it was a broken link so I reposted the photo a few minutes ago. I can see it in my post above yours. Not sure what is going on.

Junk Pilot likes this.
  11. Pcoz

Pcoz Well-Known Member

I'll be keeping an eye on yours and the other x wing mods....I picked one up at wally world for $32. I've stashed it away until I finish a few other projects. Keep it going !

12. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Brought these into the office to finish wrapping them forgot the last bit of plastic. I am doing one extra just to have a little wiggle room if something should go wrong or I find some flaw I can not fix, I am trying to be careful but little flaws can creep in. IMG_0949.JPG

Junk Pilot and Randy13 like this.
  13. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

So over the weekend I got this part done to the point of looking like the model part. The next step was to add the plates to the sides I was debating just how thick the plastic should be in this scale. I was thinning pretty thin as I thought the originals used vinyl type. Well I got a message from Junk pilot asking me what spacing I had used for the clap board wraps and I had thrown away the bag as there was almost none of the sheet left so I got out the calipers to check and see. I had gone with .040 spacing or 1.0mm, but as I ran the numbers and put the calipers to both the original part and the new parts While wearing my opti-visor I started to realize that the .030 or .75mm was closer to what it should be. It is also as small as they make this sheet. So I find myself wondering what do I do now? So do I forge ahead or rewrap the tubes? So while I contemplate that I will share the first basic part more or less finished. IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1010.JPG

Randy13 likes this.
  14. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

If I start over this piece will stay as you see it. A reminder for me to measure 10 times cut and build once.

15. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Forge ahead unless you're striving for total accuracy. If you get something that closely resembles how it's meant to look you should still be happy with the effort you've put into it.

16. Randy13

I would forge ahead as well unless it's something that would bother you in the long run. To me, .25mm would not be something I would notice after it's all painted.

17. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

I think I can live with it. but it does bother me a little. The spacing for the gap between the siding in scale works out to about 1/2 inch. That is treating the Saturn V part as if it was 1/24 scale. it is really tinny. A twitch of the finger on the wheel of the caliper can changes things a lot.

18. Randy13

I think the worst thing that can happen is when your done with a build and your eye ends up going right to the spot that bothers you. You defiantly have the talent to make it right and if you do, it will never bother you every time you look at it.

Hopson and Junk Pilot like this.
  19. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

What I may do is hedge my bets and just finish these and make it possible to remove them and replace them at a later date. Where I am bitting the bullet and making 4 of those I may just make two of the second type, and mold them.

Randy13 likes this.
  20. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

So I had some projects to finish for my figure company this has been taking up my time of late, but I kept thinking about the parts and something was not sitting right with me. The part just did not look like it should. So I made a trip to the hobby store and picked up a couple of more sheets of plastic. One more 1mm and one 0.75mm came home and sat down in the shade outside with lots of sunlight and put on my optivisor and ran all the numbers again I discovered a few things most of the plastic sheet actually measures slightly less then what the package says. I can see as the hot plastic cools it shrinks a little. The spacing on my installed clap board was reading 1.3 more then what I had thought it was. but looking over some photos of the shop when I was working on this I can see a bag that says 1.5 So after opening the bags I garbed the wrong sheet. Well that was a bone head mistake. So my numbers stand the closest matches to the original part scaled up to 1/18 scale are the 1.0mm and the .75mm both look good. So I will be taking a few days to redo the parts.I will keep the plastic in its bag so I do not end up using the wrong one again. I think I have learned my lesson on this one. I will just think of that first part as practice run.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  21. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

IMG_1068.jpg 1.0 on top and the .75 on the bottom.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Randy13 likes this.
  22. Randy13

I can't see your attachment.

23. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Okay fixed the link. I will be stating over on these parts this weekend. The clap board is all .040 so that leaves a pretty big step between the end wraps and the surface of the PVC pipe. So I decided to wrap that part as well with plain .030 which will leave me that very subtle step down between the smooth and the textured parts just like the model part. I was also looking at a xerox's of the pryo wings I blew up on the copier. I also put one of my Captain Card board wings with and engine attached to see what it would look like it did not work out but I was looking at that because it was still in with the the other copies and at the setting the clapboard pattern matches the 1.0 almost exactly. That little part of the engine is about the only thing that came out clear on that copy. I will update with photos when I get the first few done.

Randy13 likes this.
  24. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

And so it begins again. Still not sure what the best glue is for this. Using liquid glue. IMG_1107.jpg

rbeach84, Junk Pilot and Randy13 like this.
  25. Randy13

This is a big improvement. Definitely a noticeable difference than the ones you posted earlier.

26. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

A definite improvement. I'll be following your lead, Hopson. I just need to find out how much it will cost to ship the tube from Plastruct to Australia before I can start myself.

27. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Yea where I was having to cut slots for parts to sit flush with both surfaces before. Now it is going to be slightly flattening the textured area with a file before glueing the detail pieces down.

28. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Sorry I have not updated this. I am on jury service, this next week the court is dark. I hope I can get the rest done next week. The case is supposed to last for about 10 days. Not including our deliberations. :(

29. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

Hmmm I know that feeling. Between work and my wife's never ending stream of appointments I don't seem to have any time to do anything either.

30. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Okay I am finally back at it. Still on Jury service but used my day off yesterday to get something done. IMG_1388.JPG

Randy13 likes this.
  31. karauak

karauak New Member

I am also working on the X-wings Hasbro, but I started of another party;]

32. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

kurauak I saw your post I really like what you have done with the tail end. I also got the Hobby Boss Sherman to do what you are doing. You can see some photos of that at the begining of this thread, but for what ever reason I ended up starting with the engines. Maybe because I thought it would be a simple project. There are six pieces for each engine just for the wrapping. that does not count all the other little pieces that go over the top of those. I am still trying to figure out what thickness of plastic to use for the plated areas.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  33. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

So got all the warping done tonight and finished the more detailed plant on stuff. My computer is getting a new hard drive so pictues will need to wait untill sometime tomorrow.
    Now I need to ask myself do I do all 4 or mold the two best.

34. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Ok here are the photos.

35. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

IMG_0323.JPG IMG_0324.JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Randy13 likes this.
  36. karauak

karauak New Member

37. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Hopefully that fixed the problem maybe it was just too many photos.

IMG_0328.JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  38. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Finally an update. A small one but progress all the same. I got all the plant on detail done for the back of the second wing top engine I still need the small boxes on the front and the lip detail I will get that done soon. Then on to the access hatches.
    IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1545.jpg

Randy13 likes this.
  39. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

They look awesome, Hopson.

Hopson likes this.
  40. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Got the access panels on tonight. IMG_1561.jpg IMG_1562.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It is going need some light sanding to get the liquid glue residue off.

Junk Pilot and StevenBills like this.
  41. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

How goes the conversion, Hoppy?

42. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Wow. Looks just like the smaller part.

TazMan2000

43. Capo

Capo Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work so far. Are there any other members that have modified one of these? I have a X-Wing from the 2013 vintage collection that I've wanted to to modify but looking at the size of this one I think it would be a cool one to do as well.

44. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

This ship is generally considered to be closer in scale than the 2013 VC X-Wing and there are a number of members who have started converting this toy into a nice looking replica.

Check this thread for some links

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=177385

45. Capo

Capo Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for that link I had forgotten about that thread. I wasn't crazy about the wings not opening but went ahead and picked up one of these X-Wings off Amazon earlier today for $25. I just got my Hero series Falcon in today so I'll be working on it for a while but I'll keep the X-Wing as a "someday" project.

46. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

It stalled out had to get some figures finished for my little figure company. I should start working on this again this weekend. As I will be doing casting. I have a about a 10min cycle time when I do metal casting so I work on models in between casting. Actually works about the same when I am doing resin casting because you need to wait for the castings to set up in the pressure pot. and small parts need a little extra time to set up. Helps to kill time while I wait.

Junk Pilot likes this.
  47. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Excellent! Must make for a quick bit of work...

R/ Robert

48. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Yea it does but it is amazing how much I get done working that way.

rbeach84 likes this.
  49. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

I thought this is a good a thread as any of the Hero Series X-Wing threads. I've just started to play around with mine again and have started to mess around with some 3mm MDF to try and make some prototype wings to see if they're any good. My plan is to make a 2 part wing with an overall thickness of 6mm. If all goes well I'll also make the base for the engines as well with the hope that I can then use the measurements and get everything cut in acrylic. Ha....dreaming but I have to try.

50. WINGNIT

WINGNIT Active Member

Looks great!