One Day Mini-project: Repaint a toy Enterprise

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Chrisisall, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

I have an Art Asylum Wrath Of Khan Enterprise that I really like, but was never too crazy about the paint job, or the semi-translucent plastic that allowed light to highlight the sound device in the saucer section... I'd detailed it some previously, but nothing major.
    I prepped it a few days ago...
    [​IMG]

And yesterday after work, I painted her up until bed time. Dull coated this morning. Here's the result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a sunlight picture:

[​IMG]

I didn't go for the aztecing- it's just a toy, really- but I kinda like how it came out.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

Superb job. Looks way better!

3. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

I can't believe it's the same model!!! Really nice paint job. I love the lighter areas that simulate the spotlight illumination. it'd look great on my sideboard! :lol

4. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

You did a great job on her! In the first picture, she looks so gray and...war-weary, or something. You've brought the majesty back to the look!
    I like the painted-on light glow, too. Since those lit-up areas were projected onto the ship from exterior lighting for the movies, your approach is certainly no "worse"..!:)
    Only question is, I'd expect your Enterprise to be 1/18 scale!:lol

5. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

My absolute favourite look of the Enterprise was in Star Trek III, when she was pulling into, and later escaping from spacedock. The grandeur was awesome... the ship is a medium pearl white, but in space with very little direct light source (and even spacedock was deliberately low-lit) she appears grey except where self-lit. That was what I was going for.
    I admittedly do tend to go a little dark on my Enterprises, though.:rolleyes

6. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

I guess when I said 'gray' I meant to imply in mood, more than color. It is misleading...well, misleading as in the sense when someone says "You're in a blue mood today." lol
    As for the 1/18th scale comment, forget that. For some bizarre reason, I thought it was Atlanthia's model. No idea why, tho'....:wacko

7. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

LOL, yeah, I get it now. :behave
    Yeah, I likes me my Enterprise with some mileage!!

8. Jay1138

Jay1138 Active Member

Looks great! I've been wanting to repaint the Playmates 2010 Movie Enterprise, so this gives me ideas.

9. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Sr Member

Cool. I threw some windows on mine (with paint), but nothing else. THAT isn't a one day job...:cool