Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy)

MinFX & QuintusXIII - Amazing work!
wnhsr - using the photos that MinFX provided - could you have another go at this?

Everyone else - so it's been a while since I last posted. I've had an extraordinary build list of items required for a friends production of Sweeney Todd. They included a box of 6 razors, 2 blood filled stunt razors and the chair - which just happens to flip over backwards. I'm keen to get back into the knife so expects some updates soon. Here's some pics of the Sweeney Todd stuff...

A581C519-E8B5-45F5-B84D-618E779668E1-2136-0000021D3F6D07B8.jpg

0C4951F3-4218-4EA1-87F1-19161B0772A7-2136-0000021D4B7310BE.jpg

80208C47-8C40-4341-9E52-43C9BDB8D815-2136-0000021D613435C4.jpg

9D24DD76-17BE-43C5-A8DB-10B4FDBD2134-2136-0000021D587DE424.jpg

E92F870B-8EC2-4824-BAC1-2227BCFD5BE3-2136-0000021D6E545B57.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing an update in this thread seriously made my day. There are so many lovely things here..

Also, huge fan of Sweeney Todd and those look fabulous! Your friend is lucky to have you!

Sorry for the lack of updates. The handle is currently underway. Life and everything that goes with it has taken up a lot of my hobby time. Updates soon. As for sales, etc, not until its finished.

Just created an account to congratulate OzDean on his solo work on Rumplestiltskin's blade and to say congrats to QuintusXIII and wnhsr for creating such an awesome prop! Would love to see a replica for sale online in the next year or so! I'd purchase such an item since I do not have any skill at creating such pieces of art! They'd go well with my replica of Bilbo/Frodo's Sting and Duncan MacLeod's katana... ;)

PS - I'm kind of glad about the name mess-up (LE instead of EL) and I like version two of the blade much better!

PPS - Also, LOVE the Sweeney Todd blades! Another great piece of fiction!

Great start - I think it's getting there.
I think the graphics at the hilt are a bit off and the graphics in front of the name and before the lines are bit too heavy on the black.
The diagonal lines - I counted no more than twenty.
I photoshopped a pic if that's any help.

knife_template.jpg

Great work so far, i'd just like to give my opinion on the lettering, it's pretty much spot on but to my eye's the first L is too tall, it looks slightly shorter in the actual screen photo, also i think the lettering needs to be more in the center of the blade, to me looking at the photo's yours are too near the bottom whereas the original lettering is more in the center?

That's just my opinion of course:cool

Great start - I think it's getting there.
I think the graphics at the hilt are a bit off and the graphics in front of the name and before the lines are bit too heavy on the black.
The diagonal lines - I counted no more than twenty.
I photoshopped a pic if that's any help.

knife_template.jpg

Great work so far, i'd just like to give my opinion on the lettering, it's pretty much spot on but to my eye's the first L is too tall, it looks slightly shorter in the actual screen photo, also i think the lettering needs to be more in the center of the blade, to me looking at the photo's yours are too near the bottom whereas the original lettering is more in the center?

Iv'e done a quick line in black so you know what i mean, this could also help in getting the lettering perfect.
View attachment 132878

That's just my opinion of course:cool

i really hope this gets finished. I know i'm reviving an old thread but if this is completed or close to, i would love to see it. Subscribed in hopes of seeing finished product!

I feel kind of silly because I'm still a bit new at modeling as well as still getting used to getting accuracy perfect. I didn't get the base of the handle right and I accidentally inverted the raised/lowered portions. Despite my floundering I'd like to thank everyone in this thread who contributed, in particular OzDean whose work on this project so far is something I personally find incredible, and MinFX for creating the incredible prop that brought us all together in this thread.

I usually mill my projects from MDF but due to the fine detail in this project that wasn't a viable alternative. I instead opted to use resin (Starting first with Smooth-On's Onyx[disaster], then Smooth Cast 305[lesser disaster], and finally settling on fiberglass resin due to its low post-degass bubbling during catalyzation.

20131024_122127.jpg

Then I put the block on my milling bed and ran the program. It's still running as I'm posting this but here's the progress:

20131024_154336.jpg

20131024_181910.jpg

20131024_203206.jpg

20131024_214142.jpg

I'll more than likely be giving it another shot once I finish milling this one out with the bottom of the blade corrected and the details at the right depth.

I wanted to get a feel for how it would all go together, so I would up molding and casting the blade to see what it needed. Here are some shots of the finished (inverted) dagger.

Rumplestiltskin (7 of 7).jpg

Rumplestiltskin (2 of 7).jpg

That being said I fully intend to mill out another that is NOT inverted. But I need to fix the model first.

Someone could help me.. I saw yours creation and I'm not able to do it cause here in Italy there aren't shop whose can help me in things of this sort..and maybe someone could do it one for me ..I'll pay it.. Let me know..and thank you anyway
P.s congratulation I love yours creation **

Someone could help me.. I saw yours creation and I'm not able to do it cause here in Italy there aren't shop whose can help me in things of this sort..and maybe someone could do it one for me ..I'll pay it.. Let me know..and thank you anyway
P.s congratulation I love yours creation **

Okay....
Finally I have an update! Been flat out writing reports for school and today was the first time in ages that I could get into the garage and work.
I had originally purchased some stainless to do this but I switched over to Aluminium (1 - it was free, 2 - I'm gong to cast it anyway and 3 - it's a lot easier to file and sand).
I glued the templates on to both sides and used these as a guide for filing.
So I filed, sanded, filed, sanded, filed, sanded and sanded some more. Bit of polish just so you can see what it will look like. It needs more work but I'm hungry and in desperate need of a beer transfusion!

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/OzDean/4dc5f35c.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/OzDean/d7cd0b2b.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/OzDean/c57efb4b.jpg

Would you be willing to sell me one?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back