Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by OzDean, Jan 15, 2012.

1. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

My GF and I are watching this series with some interest as there are a lot of cool props being produced for the show.
    Kevinericon has produced some great looking props so far:
    http://www.therpf.com/f13/once-upon-time-snow-whites-ring-fairy-dust-134761/
    http://www.therpf.com/f13/once-upon-time-sheriffs-badge-grannys-key-sample-arrived-134953/
    And rather than hijack his thread I thought I'd start a new one.
    In the latest episode "Desperate Souls" we find out about Mr Gold's mysterious past. There is a cool looking dagger which transforms a cowardly farmer into the mischievous Rumplestiltskin (I know that it is written as Rumpelstiltskin in other texts but this is the spelling that ABC have decided to go with). I've acquired some high res screen caps and I'm after a bit of help with the following:
    • Accurate measurements
    • Font choice
    • Some insight into the pommel and sculpted detail on the handle
    As always - any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. Should have some pics up in the next few days of my other project.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. kevinericon

kevinericon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Quite interested to see where this is going. Subscribed!

3. Starsunder

Starsunder New Member

I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this, I wanted that dagger the moment I saw it on screen

4. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Okay. so I've taken some measurements using the photos above and worked out that the blade is 5cm wide and about 35.5cm long. Unsure on the thickness - maybe 4mm?

Does that look about right?

Next step is to start working on the graphics. Then cut a blank and begin sharpening...
    Any idea on the font used?

5. kevinericon

Maybe you can search it on what the font website. It looks like a readily made font, but you can still vector it if you can't find a 100% match.

6. USiT

USiT New Member

Why did i click on this thread?

The show have just started here in Sweden (2 episodes so far), and this might have spoild it for me but hey it was my own fault and really looking forward to this.

You can try dafont.com
    In there you can write for ex zoso and then browse the font to find one that matches.

Looking forward to this project....good luck

7. USiT

USiT New Member

Did find this one on Dafont (fontname Black Knight)

[​IMG]

and this one (this one have the S and K more correct but not the R). This one is called MK Broken Types

[​IMG]

There are a few more under Gothic > Medieval

Did play around some the R is with Black Knight and the rest is MK Broken

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

That last one is very close! Bit of trimming and it could work. Thanks!

9. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Was working out the graphics on the back of the dagger today. It appears that there are two different daggers. I thought it was perhaps a change of graphics when the dagger showed his name but the different graphics both appear in the last scene with his son. Mmm what to do? Might come up with a combination of both...

[​IMG]

10. HandSolo

HandSolo Member

any new info on this? It really looks like a found dagger to me. Can anyone help ID?

Also, it looks to me that "Rumple" is in Black knight and "stiltskin" is in MK broken. If you combine those two (not just the R) I think you have an exact match.

11. kevinericon

Any news? I think we'll definitely see more of this dagger when the story progresses.

12. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

I just knew someone would do this dagger when I was watching the show. This show has a lot of props I would love to see people make.
    I definitely will be watching this thread.

13. Adam Fails

Adam Fails Well-Known Member

I was just browsing around on dafont, and found 'Duerers Minuskeln'. It's not an exact match, but has very similar flourishes on the letters. Maybe it could be a starting point if you feel the need to draw your own?

I can't wait to see more progress on this regardless of the font :D

14. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Okay, it's holiday time so back to some projects.
    I've finally found a local supplier who will cut stainless bar to order.
    Before I do that I just want to double check.
    The measurements I worked out had the width of the blade at 5cm wide.
    However, I have LARGE hands.
    So I've taken a couple of pics. One with a 5cm wide blade and another with a 4cm wide blade. Could I get some ideas of width? I'm still thinking 5cm is still the way to go.
    4cm
    [​IMG]
    5cm
    [​IMG]

15. Logan Cade

Logan Cade Well-Known Member

I agree, 5 cm is the way to go. It's a pretty big dagger.

16. kevinericon

Yes 5cm. I have small hands but 4cm just didn't look right.

17. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Some great pics of the dagger tonight. It seems that the black lettering and scroll work is now etched onto the blade. Maybe it's the evil seeping into the blade....

Anyhow... Back to progress. Got all my measurements and I purchased the stainless to make the master blade. I've given it a quick spray with Matt black paint then scribed my template on to the dagger. It's in the vice now having its rough shape cut out and then it's down to the grind. Pics to follow!

18. 40Mex

40Mex New Member

This is awesome! Would love to see this when its done.

19. kevinericon

ooooh, can't wait!

20. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Hey gang,
    Here are the latest images from the last episode. As you can see the knife has changed (the design is etched into the blade and the text has been flipped so the his name now starts at the hilt end) so let's call this one version 2. My knife will be a hybrid of both but mainly version 2.
    I also pick up some more grinding disks tonight so I'll show some progress pics this weekend.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  21. chwbcc

chwbcc New Member

Very cool, I love this show.

22. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

Good luck with the grinding, wavy kris blades are a "mother" to grind!
    Jeff

23. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Okay....
    Finally I have an update! Been flat out writing reports for school and today was the first time in ages that I could get into the garage and work.
    I had originally purchased some stainless to do this but I switched over to Aluminium (1 - it was free, 2 - I'm gong to cast it anyway and 3 - it's a lot easier to file and sand).
    I glued the templates on to both sides and used these as a guide for filing.
    So I filed, sanded, filed, sanded, filed, sanded and sanded some more. Bit of polish just so you can see what it will look like. It needs more work but I'm hungry and in desperate need of a beer transfusion!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  24. Eveningarwen

Eveningarwen Well-Known Member

Ummm....this is looking amazing!!!!

25. Kingpin

Kingpin Active Member

With a shot like that, you could actually trace over it in Adobe Illustrator as the characters are nice and sharp.

26. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

hi there, i'm new here, but i saw your thread and i'm in love with this project. here's a little help from me, if you'll have it. it's my closest replica to the original font on the bloodied blade.

[​IMG]

if you study the weights of the fonts carefully, no two letters are alike. That means that it's most likely not a font type that's downloadable, but more likely handwritten. also looking at the pictures, it seems that there's more than one version of the prop they used in the show. one where the name starts from the tip of the blade and reads into the hilt and another where it starts from the hilt and reads outwards.

if you're interested i can help you with a vector for the rest of the pattern on the blade, just need to know which version you're making!

hope i've helped instead of hindered... keep up the awesome work! :D

booksandcorsets likes this.
  27. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

I was just about to start on this so I would really appreciate your help. I'm going to go with a water slide decal rather than engraving (the engraving can always be done later) based on version 2. What I'll do tomorrow is photocopy both sides of the blade and email them to you. I'll also include the vector I made for the blade pattern. Just need your email address.

In other news - I got some more sculpey and some of the sculpey mold making stuff so that I only have to make one of the sculpted details that appear on the blade.

28. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Email sent!

29. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

cool, when do you need the stuff by? also which side do you intend to be the front (with rumple's name) and the back (with the flowery pattern)?

30. narnia2012

narnia2012 Member

Wow! This is NIIIICE!
    Looking forward to see it finished :d Subscribed!

31. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Okay... Here is the dilemma...

Version 1 has the name written on this side...
    [​IMG]

Whereas version 2 (let's call it the engraved version) has it written on this side...
    [​IMG]

Considering that we would like the text written as it appears as version 2 (name running down the blade) I think we should go with the name on the second picture side.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Planning on sculpting a bit this weekend. Perhaps if we set a timeline for the graphics by say the end of the month?

32. Cobheran

Cobheran New Member

This entire project looks absolutely amazing!

Also I agree on second picture side. I'll be watching this thread and look forward to seeing more progress!

33. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

so, with that said.. it means the name will run down from the hilt to the tip of the blade yes? i'd have to mod the design a bit so that i can get the engraved pattern side to fit pic 1's shape. if that's okay with you? I suppose, I'll do the best I can, and I can also make modifications based on comments you can give me :p I'll try to get some stuff out my monday if this is all a go. :D

34. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Sounds good! :)

35. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

[​IMG]

here's a quickie i did of the front. I think I might have gotten the blade measurements wrong. do you have the exact measurements?

also, apologies for the horrid photo. i don't currently own a scanner and this was taken through my webcam. ha. i'll have a digital render up soon. once i get the proper measurements for the blade. :D
    let me know what you think!

36. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

The blade width is 50mm. The total length from the shoulder to the tip is 353mm.
    The graphics need to start 8mm down from the shoulder as this is where the bottom of the guard is.
    Hope this all makes sense.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  37. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

[​IMG]

hey... sorry for making this so late.. how's this look to you? let me know if you need me to make any changes. :D

38. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Great start - I think it's getting there.
    I think the graphics at the hilt are a bit off and the graphics in front of the name and before the lines are bit too heavy on the black.
    The diagonal lines - I counted no more than twenty.
    I photoshopped a pic if that's any help.

[​IMG]

39. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

that's great thanks.. i think i counted the tip design wrong... that's why it's all so squashed... do you have any reference for the back design? or.. clearer references? i can't seem to find any good ones online.

40. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

Only what I've managed to put up so far - I can take another look - maybe a mash-up of the different designs?

41. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

yeah cuz like you said, the two are different... but they aren't really THAT different. i guess.. i'll try and get something up tonight or tomorrow for the back design... been busy with work. sorry. :\

42. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

hey, sorry for the delays... i've got two new versions for you... i was looking at the pic you sent back. and on the top part of the hilt, there seems to be, some kind of.. i dunno, thing there.
    so...
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

and now i'll go work on the back design some more.

hope these are okay for you. let me know if you need any changes or anything? :)

43. OzDean

OzDean Active Member

I think the bottom one. I see what you mean about the top one but I like the bottom one better. I'll print it out on tracing paper and see how it looks. Well done!

44. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

awesome. let me know if it needs any adjustments once you try it on the blade. i'm still sketching out the design for the back. i'll post some up once i'm happy with them.

45. Bilious

Bilious Active Member

Oh wow! I made a wooden one of these a few months back as a one-day project-

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/biliousneko/RumplestiltskinKnife2000px.jpg

I originally was going to make it in aluminum and cut the blank but lost patience when grinding it down for just a whim-project. XD This thread has inspired me to try to finish it! Awesome reference images you found! Will have to save them if I revisit!

That shows my interpritation of some of those unclear details if that helps any! I simplified in other areas because it was a quick project for fun. :)

46. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

Oh wow. Did you happen to make the design on the back as well? I love to see that! :)

47. Bilious

Bilious Active Member

Didn't get that far and couldn't find references I was happy with, unfortunately. It mostly is just to hang on my wall and smile at. I'm excited to see how other people approach the end-piece on the handle, I couldn't find any good references and had to fudge it! :/

48. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

Well OzDean is doing the handle. I just need to work on the blade graphics. Which is proving to be a bit of a task. I wish i could just tweet to robert carlyle and ask him to snap a clearer picture of the dagger!

49. Bilious

Bilious Active Member

THE FANS DEMAND IT! If I manage to find any references you guys haven't already found I'll pop them your way! As it stands for mine I just found a photo that was as dead-on as possible, printed it out and traced it on. I wish I had seen this thread back then! I did it the weekend that first knife-centric episode aired. XD

As far as I can recall it was just a sort of floral-like pattern?

P.S. I see you guys are working in metric, but my hypothetical measurement I went by was a 13-inch blade. I liked having the number 13 in there and it seemed to work out. :)

50. wnhsr

wnhsr New Member

Yeah kind of a gothic floral type. Very similar to the mid-section of the front face of the blade.. Hah im working on some sketches from whatever references we currently have... Will post as soon as i get a chance.