Old Rex Armor [Rebels] - W.I.P.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Prototypical, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

And so it Begins... Today my Big Brown Box of Plastic Happiness arrived.

Before I start I want to thank a couple of people. First, Jon Farmer. He is the gentleman that did the Old Rex Armor for San Diego Comic Con. He is the one that figured out the various components of this build. Second, is Kevin at KWDesigns / Imperial Warehouse. He is the one that cast the components of this armor.

I took a whole bunch of photos and discovered my first problem. Camera Compatibility Issues (Re: Old Digital Camera). So lets try this with a camera from this century [​IMG]

The Unboxing...
    DSC_0001.JPG

As I was unboxing this stuff, I started to get a feel for some of the parts. Namely the parts that need the most modifications. Primarily, the Chest/Back at the shoulders. Forearms at the elbows. Shin Guards, filling seams. And a suspension system to keep everything in place.

As Always with any of my builds... Comments, Criticisms, Creativity, ect. are Welcome.

2. Prototypical

Well, I ran into my first BIG hurdle today.

I have most of the parts trimmed, and I decided to test fit the chest piece. One piece at a time worked out even though it was a bit tight around my ribs.

I connected the shoulder pieces to the chest and back with blue tape and tried to put it on. Well, my BIG HEAD would not fit through the neck hole. :angry ARGH! [insert other not so nice expletives] I have some extra material I can remove but my worry is that will not be enough. :(

The only option I can think of is to velcro the connection between the shoulder connector and chest/back. that way I can separate them to get my FAT HEAD through. The problem with that is Rex's armor has no seams between the chest and back (unlike the Phase 2 clone armor).

EDIT: I should of expected this, but the belt is way to small. This is what I get for buying my armor from someone thin (especially when I'm not). Time I broke out my 3D modeling skills & designed my own.

Ok, experts. What are your ideas... :confused

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Either you can 'fix' the aforementioned issues as you said with velcro, build some new parts if the costume requires it to fit properly or ... go change your old habits so you can wear this costume as intended with no hassle whatsoever ... sorry in advance for being blunt :$

Chaim

4. Prototypical

I did a little playing around with Solidworks, and I think I have a belt design that will work.

rexbelt.JPG

It is put together much like a chain conveyor. I just have not figured out the buckle mechanics yet. I would like to make the buckle functional, but I think I may end up some kind of latch behind. The whole thing will be 3D printed except for the pins which will be 1/8" dia steel.

My other idea is to attach everything to a belt of some kind.

What do you think?

Bogleo likes this.
  5. Prototypical

My first successful test fit after doing a proper trim job.

0904151344.jpg

I know, I know... trying on White Armor with a white undershirt doesn't reveal much. But this was more about "If I can get the Breastplate on?" and "How Does it Fit on me?" than what it looks like.

Now that this is done, I can focus on gluing everything together and patching up those shoulder pieces. I foresee fiberglass dust in my future. :cool

Necronaut likes this.
  6. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Wow, you look the part! :thumbsup

Prototypical likes this.
  7. Prototypical

OMG, I finally got around to doing an update.

What can I say, it was so blazing hot that I couldn't motivate myself. And since I'm working on my back porch/sun room...

I started working on the chest first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembling the inner straps. They are not going to be seen, but should add strength to this seam.

Hmmmm, strange how I forgot to take pics of putting in the patch sections. :wacko Oh Well...

[​IMG]

Added Fill, and yes I know I put it on a bit thick. The Bondo started to kick as I was applying it, so there was not enough time to get fancy. :eek

[​IMG]

After Sanding... A lot better! :cool

Now all I have to do is a bit of research (ie. look at pictures) and then I can mount the shoulder straps.

And as always. Compliments, Critiques, Complaints, or just a plain old "YOUR DOING IT ALL WRONG" are always welcome. :cheers

Note: If I am doing it "Wrong", please let me know how to do it right.

8. Prototypical

And the fun continues...

This time the Shoulder Straps

b96ebf56-05c1-41b9-a895-a7f855ace890.jpg
    In the Beginning, We had a pair of AT-DP Shoulder Straps (Before I viciously sliced them all up :devil )

205b2d04-c36e-4932-bc75-ea4271928cb5.jpg
    The remains of the shoulder straps before I Frankenstein them together.

2b559094-a2c0-41fc-a3ee-36e2f636024f.jpg
    And then they became one... Again... somewhat.

DSC_0021.jpg
    Gluing them into their final location.

DSC_0026.jpg
    And a bit of Bondo nicely covers all the sutures. :cool
    BTW - The Green Marker is showing all the divets in the Bondo. I was going to fill and then decided it was "Distressed" parts of the armor. :D

Now I have to finish the other side. Then I work on the Shoulder Bells.

Stay Tuned!!!

b96ebf56-05c1-41b9-a895-a7f855ace890.jpg

205b2d04-c36e-4932-bc75-ea4271928cb5.jpg

2b559094-a2c0-41fc-a3ee-36e2f636024f.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

9. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am love everything about this build! Your doing a great job, I really respect all the hard work done by scratch. Awesome work buddy!

10. Prototypical

Ok, I got a little distracted for a while. I hope to do updates a bit more consistently.

First of all, here is the chest nearly finished
    [​IMG]
    All I nee to do is trim the sides and install a couple of restraining straps (probably after painting)

I know I said I was going to do the Shoulder Bells next. Well flaky me decided to do the Fore Arms.
    [​IMG]
    Everything laid out and ready to be carved up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm using the cutout to make a template.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Added glue tabs and radius detail before trimming this part up.

[​IMG]
    Elbow Detail glued in place.

[​IMG]
    Interior view.

[​IMG]
    Added Glue Tabs

[​IMG]
    Assembly is finished. It just needs a bit of Bondo the seam, Paint, and add Velcro. :love

OK, now I have to admit something. I may of messed the Forearms up. :facepalm I planned on having about a 1/4" between my arm and this armor piece. I know I checked my measurements at least twice. But after I glued the pieces together, the armor is right up against my skin. :wacko Well, I'll work with it for a while and if doesn't work out I'll remake it then.

More to come...

pm07 likes this.
  11. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

really loving the progress!

12. Prototypical

It's that time again...

I know, I know. I said I was going to do the Shoulder Bells next. Well I did them, but I didn't take any in process pics.

[​IMG]
    Not much to this process though. Rough trim, glue together, final trim, add velcro DONE.

Next is the Holsters.

[​IMG]
    I added a glue tab to one side.

[​IMG]
    The 2 halves. The other half has a 1/8" x 1" Aluminum bar attached to it. This bar is what will attach to the Belt (once I figure out what I'm doing with it, of course)

[​IMG]
    I'm holding the 2 halves together with Rare Earth Magnets. I quickly realized that I would be able to clamp these puppies together.

[​IMG]
    Final gluing. I'm glad I screwed the aluminum bar on before. I would of never got my hand inside this holster.

Once I get everything glued together, it will be Bondo time again.

I have to admit, for a project where I am completely ignoring the instructions... It's coming out surprisingly well. :love

All that is left to do is the Belt, Shin Guards, more Bondo, even more Bondo, and finally painting. I have to admit that the shin guards are giving a bit of concern. I'm not 100% sure how to assemble them at this moment.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  13. dbrg13

dbrg13 New Member

Awesome! Like looks great!

14. Prototypical

Minor Update today

I have been covered in Bondo Dust, so I didn't want my camera anywhere near.

Teat Fit #2

[​IMG]
    I wanted to try the armor on before I painted. I did learn something with this test fit. the fact that I need to attach the shoulder bells before I put on the breastplate or I am going to need help putting them on (ie I can't reach my shoulders to attach them).

Now if the weather holds out, I should start the base coat today. Unless someone can tell me that painting in the rain, unprotected, will add the weathering I'm looking for.

We have pouches! Specifically, M16/AR15 pouches for MOLLE type gear (found on Ebay). This is one of the only pouch setups, that I found, that will fit over the 3" wide belt found on the clone armor.
    [​IMG]
    I removed the elastic band and stuffed them with Styrofoam to open them up. Now for the paint...

[​IMG]
    Don't it make my Tan pouches White. I'm finding that fabric paint is AMAZING and a Pain In The A_ _ (yes a PITA) at the same time.

The fact it can recolor fabric is AMAZING. The fact that it does not coat evenly, soaks in rapidly (without color change), which makes me want to spray it on thick (which causes drips) is a PITA.

On another note, my Soon-to-be belt material "should" be here next week. but more on that later...

pm07 likes this.
  15. darthvader073

darthvader073 Active Member

Looks GREAT man ;)

16. Prototypical

I haven't forgotten about you...

I've been doing a lot of painting lately. And the only thing less interesting than watching paint dry, is watch White paint dry.

today I did a bit of fabrication. Since Rex's COM is a bit different in Rebels, I had to make one from scratch.

And to that end, meet Arther...
    DSC_0045.jpg
    He is a Tick toy from Taco Bell. He graciously donated his wings to help me build this COM Pad.

DSC_0046.jpg
    Can't you see the excitement in his face. :devil

DSC_0047.jpg
    The finished COM. All I have to do is glue it to the Right Bracer and attach the oval button. Weathering comes next.

Speaking of Bracers...
    DSC_0048.jpg
    I just finished the third Blue on the stripe. I have to say, precision painting, with a Rattle Can, Outside, with a Breeze is interesting. Also amazing how 3 shades of blue can blend together in a picture.

I should have the Blue done on the Shoulder Bells & Hand Plates tomorrow. I may even start on the Belt & Shin Guards. We'll see.

UPDATE - I just pulled off the masking tape, and the bracers are looking good. I'll post more picks when I get the Hand Plates and Shoulder Bells painted.

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

17. Prototypical

Yes, I'm still working on it...

Two of my original goals have come and gone. The first was to be done BEFORE the Monroe Comic Con on Oct. 5. And the second was to be done BEFORE Season 2 of Rebels aired. Both were realistic goals, but things came up that prevented me from working on the armor. No worries, My last goal is still a ways off (Ep.VII premier).

I know, I can hear you... on with the build.

[​IMG]
    COM Pad mounted on the right bracer. Now all I have to do is the Detail Work and weathering (or is it weathering and then detail work). :confused

[​IMG]
    The Shoulder Bell with my Handy-Dandy, High Precision, Measuring Device (Masking Tape scale) :thumbsup

[​IMG]
    All ready for paint.

[​IMG]
    Added the shoulder strap details tonight.

[​IMG]
    Also Added the back panel details. Now on to weathering.

Things left to do. Assemble Belt, assemble Shin Guards, 3D print Blasters, and finish the holsters. The Belt, pouches, and Shin Guards are mission critical. The Blasters and holsters can wait (considering that Rex did not wear his blasters the whole first episode).

18. Prototypical

So am I on the right track?

This is my first attempt at weathering. Sooooo...

Mine
    [​IMG]

Screen Grab
    [​IMG]

I still want to mist it with Grey, and possibly Tan, to add to the weathered look.

Sooo... What Cha Think?

pm07 likes this.
  19. Prototypical

More work...

My Left Hand Plate
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure why everything in my pic looks so bright and vivid. Maybe its the flash.

Screen Grab
    [​IMG]

Not the best screen grab. But good enough to see detail on. I'm hoping for better in tomorrows episode.

20. Prototypical

Hey all.

I know I haven't updated this in a while. I started a new job recently, and had a bit of trouble balancing my free time to include this.

enough of the excuses, on to the build.

[​IMG]
    The Hand Plates after an acrylic wash. Since this was the first attempt at this sort of weathering, I think it came out pretty nice.

[​IMG]
    The Shoulder Bells after the acrylic wash. Nice start, I still have to sponge on some light gray & black to finish up the look. More to come...

[​IMG]
    And finally the Bracers, pre-weathering. I added all of the scratches and hash marks. Now all I have to do is an acrylic wash and a bit of sponging and they'll be done.

Right now I'm working on the weld lines on the Breatplate. More updates will be coming considering that I would like to finish this weekend.

21. Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted Well-Known Member

Looking GREAT! Really enjoying your build progress, especially your comments!! :) :)

22. Prototypical

A good day so far

For some reason I'm avoiding certain parts. Namely starting the Shin Guards, and working on the fastening system for the bracers. And lets not forget about the belt. I have not been completely procrastinating...

[​IMG]
    Yesterday, I got a care package from Diamond State Props. Two Shiney (As shiney as primer gets), New (No Question there) DC-17s - Animated Versions of course. Another thing I have to paint, but that's OK.

[​IMG]
    Also done yesterday. I finished the Weld lines on the Breatplate. I'm a bit worried about the sharp line between the light blue and black fade. we'll see.

[​IMG]
    Today's Weather... the Breatplate.

[​IMG]
    I originally tried to do a acrylic wash with dark gray. But for some reason it did not come out quite right.

[​IMG]
    The Back... I found sponging on black acrylic (50/50 paint/water) worked the best. Dabbing with a clean dry paper towel then followed by a alcohol soaked rag to take done the excess.

So after I post this, I plan on getting back to it.

StevenBills likes this.
  23. dedguy

dedguy Member

The paintwork on this is fantastic. Rex is a favorite character of mine and I look forward to seeing the whole thing together. I particularly like what you did with the blue. The variations in opacity really does well to mimic the look he has on Rebels.

24. Broilermaker

Broilermaker Sr Member

I was happy to see the old clones in that episode, especially since I am 50 (and a little fat for a stormtrooper) great job am really happy for you

25. Prototypical

updates, UpDates, UPDATES... Yes there are updates TODAY!

I've been working on and off for the last week. And I finally feel like I have enough to update this build thread. I got a lot done on the Shin Guards, Belt, Holsters, and Blasters.

Come on in and see...

WARNING: the following Pic shows my pasty/white Leg. Viewer Disgression is advised... :p
    DSC_0071.jpg
    This is the Test fit of the Shin Guards. I wanted to see if I could get them on without splitting the side. I could, so HAPPY DAY.

DSC_0072.jpg
    Holster, DONE. looking backI wish I didn't cut out the Blaster opening before I had the blasters in hand. But I'm happy with the outcome.

DSC_0073.jpg
    Another shot of the Holster. I may end up foam lining them so that the blaster doesn't rattle around.

DSC_0074.jpg
    One Blaster finished. After 2 coats of Primer, 2 coats of Silver, and then 2 coats of Black. I'm not planning on distressing them any further since they look new on the show. But I figure with the wear-n-tear of handling them will distress more naturally.

DSC_0075.jpg
    Yes, I redid the back details. In the Show they are 2D, and my originals were a bit to/too/tutu thick (and the wrong shape).

DSC_0076.jpg
    Shoulder details, redone for the same reason.

DSC_0077.jpg
    NEW Pouches. I wasn't happy with my first set, then I found these. They are H&K G3 Magazine Pouches painted with with Rustoleum White Flex Paint. All I need to do is trim the flaps to the right shape.

DSC_0078.jpg
    And finally the Belt. I started life as a 1/2" x 3" rubber strip. Amazing what a Circular Saw, some fasteners, and White Flex Paint can do.

I am planning on finishing the belt today and then focusing on the Shin Guards (which are assembled, but needs finishing).

STAY TUNNED...

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

26. Prototypical

Quick Update...

I guess I'm done for the night, I didn't buy enough fasteners and the sun is setting (I'm working outside). But I'm EXTREMELY happy with the way the belt is coming out, I just had to post a pic...

[​IMG]

The fact that we're supposed to get 3-5" of snow tomorrow may mean that I have to find an alternate painting location. Now I'm off to Ace Hardware to buy some screws.

xcelsior, E Williams and Lichtbringer like this.
  27. Prototypical

For the most part, I'm done. Understand that this is the first time I've had the complete armor on. I already see where to streamline the process of equiping.
    But other than that I want your opinions! Be Honest! Tell me where I can improve.

[​IMG]
    Strike a Pose...

[​IMG]
    Front Elevation

[​IMG]
    Rear Elevation

[​IMG]
    Profile Right - OMG Cover your EYES

[​IMG]
    Lift Profile - Uhm...

I'm not sure if I'm going to use these pics or wait til I can get a helping hand.
    And again, please tell me what you think. I could use all the advice I can get.

28. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Biggest improvement could be achieved around the waist. ;) (and i know what i´m talking about :angel)

With less material there, the trousers and the belt could fit much more screenaccurate.

But the costume matching to the costumer (or vice versa) is the most failed part, always. Around 80 to 90% of the costumers seem to see something in the mirror i don´t see when watching them. But i like the parts you´re building (not only in this thread).

29. Prototypical

Lichbringer, you are not mentioning anything that I haven't thought about already.

This is the it was supposed to work.

I had belt clips to attach the holster belt to the belt holding up my pants. I had trouble connecting them together. Not only that, but I feel the holster belt is a bit to/too/tutu low at my natural waist. I may fabricate suspenders to hold the holster belt up, hopefully in a better location.

Most of the pants problems came up when I tried to put the shin guards on. The shin guards pushed the pant legs up. I either am going to tape the pant legg bottoms to reduce the amount the pants ride up. Or I could sew on an elastic strap that goes under my foot that holds the pant legg in place. or Both. Or cut the pant leggs down. Or tighter pants.

And an extra set of hands would of helped immensly

30. Travelingeek

Travelingeek New Member

Love your build, I've been thinking about doing something like it and bugging the guys I know in the 501st for help. I love that he came back in the next season.

31. Prototypical

Hey Dee Oh

Well, I just completed my first Guest Troop with the 501st and Rebel Legions at the Tinker, Hack, Invent event at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. I can comfirm that a few things need to be adjusted, namely the belt. And I had one minor wardrobe malfunction, One of the shin guards split at the seam.

Other than that, it was a great event with some great people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until I decide to work on my Helmet, the build phase is done. Now comes the tweeking and modifying stage :D

32. jackDroid

jackDroid New Member

Michael - Looking excellent my friend and fellow Old Captain Rex!! You have done some amazing work there!

Yup I added elastic stirrups to my baseball style pants to help keep em down. And for the knees I opted for sewing on some suede like fabric which might help you out too - wont get the bunching from the kneepad straps.

And did you see that Kev and I re-sculpted new forearms? Much more screen accurate.

Hope you have been following me on instagram - oldcaptainrex.

MTFBWY!

Jono
    Jon Farmer

33. Prototypical

Well, It's Official. My Old Rex just got approved by the Rebel Legion
    11855-A.jpg

It feels good to be recognized. Now I can't wait for my first Official Troop. :love

xcelsior and zv288bot like this.
  34. ArkRaider

ArkRaider Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love it! I plan to do this as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

35. WooingScotsman

WooingScotsman New Member

Ugh, unfortunately all of your pics are now subject to the photobucket grey window of doom except the first one (parts) and last (legion approval). About to attempt an old Rex build myself (and a Sabine for my daughter and Hera for the wife) on a short timeline and thinking I'm gonna give foam a shot for the build. Also, the other wrinkle, I'm aiming to do the Rebels season 4/Nik Sant Rex concept art Dave Filoni let slip at Celebration... basically a hybrid of his rebels look and a rebel commando. Anyone have a site with armor templates for foam?