Old Republic Imperial Trooper!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Supercostumes, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Supercostumes

Supercostumes New Member

Hello all! This is my first ever costume build and I've decided to do something with my favorite movie franchise of all time, STAR WARS! I'm going to try to build the concept for an Imperial trooper in the upcoming MMORPG, The Old Republic. Here's what it looks like!
    [​IMG]

I'm going to construct it out of EVA foam and Sintec. I want to be done with it by Megacon, so I have a couple of months to work on it. I just have a few questions for the more seasoned members of this forum about designing the schematics for a costume; is there ANY other way to build something like this without using Pepakura? I've been trying to look everywhere to see if there were any files for this costume, but I got no such luck. Again, any tips or advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

May the force be with you!

Gordon Gekko likes this.
  2. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

Can't wait to see the result!

3. Jobiwan319

Jobiwan319 New Member

What an awesome build idea! Kinda looks like vader/storm trooper mix! I look forward to seeing your progress and final build.

4. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

This looks more appropriate for sculpting, molding and casting the parts.

5. Supercostumes

Supercostumes New Member

I don't have the funds for that, even though those would be awesome tools to work with, the cheapest thing for me right now would be EVA foam and Sintec.

6. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I could see EVA working for this.

I look forward to seeing progress.

7. Supercostumes

Supercostumes New Member

Forgot to mention that I'm looking for 2d to 3d image converting software right now. Since the Pepfiles don't have anything, I'm going to have to make my own 3d model ( Which I have ZERO experience in!) I'm hoping to find a program that will convert this series of two dimensional pictures into a 3d model which I can then upload onto Pepakura.

That's the plan for now, I hope it works!

8. Flagwaver

Flagwaver Active Member

It might be easier to eyeball it with the creation process and use some butcher paper to dummy up the patterns before cutting them out.

It's easier to separate out the soft parts from the hard (and see more details in the hard parts) in the "clay" image file.

[​IMG]

9. Supercostumes

Supercostumes New Member

What type of "butcher paper" are you talking about? Cardstock?

10. Flagwaver

Flagwaver Active Member

Nope, all you need is the rolled construction paper or the 11×17 graph paper. No need for card stock, all you are doing is mocking up a basic design for size.

11. terryr

terryr Sr Member

That is cool looking, but what a tiny eye slot.

12. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

If only I had the $$$$ I would sculpt Malgus and this and do castings of all the armor parts. But alas no $$$$.

13. Supercostumes

Supercostumes New Member

Yeah, I was looking at that too. It may have to be modded so that the eye slot will be a little wider so that I can see out of it.

14. Supercostumes

Supercostumes New Member

I feel your pain, bro:cry

Still, I think I can make this look as close to movie quality as I can with what I'm using

15. Fierfek

Fierfek Sr Member

I'm working on pep files for the armor and helmet of this trooper. I could model an HD helmet with those refrences, but if everyone thinks it's better to sculpt it then I'll hold off on that project. I might just model it later for my C VI costume.

16. Redeye Jedi

Redeye Jedi New Member

monumental undertaking......

17. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

I think pepping this would be better than sculpting. Fierfek, I say go for it.

18. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

Yes please go for it even I'll build it.

19. Flagwaver

Flagwaver Active Member

Actually, Malgus would be better in foam because of the lack of overall detail in the majority of the armor and building it with sintra for the rest (central chest details, gauntlets, breath mask).

As for this costume, you have no idea how many people you would make happy by pepping the armor for it.

I am trying to get together a fairly sizable group of TOR costumers at CVI. Dallas Dickinson has already agreed to a photoshoot with anyone in a TOR costume. I was able to set it up because of the small handful of people with the Jedi/Sith armors. I am trying to get together at least two dozen people for the shoot. Even now, I am in the middle of my own Malgus, working on a Shae Vizsla for a garrisonmate, a Satele Shan for my wife, a Jedi and Sith for other garrison mates... yeah. The more the merrier.

20. Supercostumes

Supercostumes New Member

That would be fantastic!

21. Fierfek

Fierfek Sr Member

I would be able to help with pep files for the first three you mentioned. If anyone could provide me with more refrences of these characters, that would really be helpful. I'll get started on these files soon. So, check my pep file thread for updates.

22. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If it helps, the boots are the same as boba fett's, just with armor over it.

23. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

no, they look like they go much higher up the leg than BF's............. and with a zipper up the side, which BF never had

24. Flagwaver

Flagwaver Active Member

Actually, no. The boots are identical to the Darth Malgus boots, not the Boba Fett boots.

BOOTS
    [​IMG]
    Black leather. The boots are made from leather and come up to the mid-calf. There is a black detail strip that rises from the toe of the boot half way up to top of the foot. There is a heavy black locking zipper on either side of the boot to secure them. The sole is a low boot sole with detail lines carved into it. The boot should have a piece of elastic on the back to ensure a good fit (much in the same way as the sides of the Boba Fett or stormtrooper boots). It will also have the necessary velcro for the armor connection.

25. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

I have a lot of reference photos for Malgus in my old thread, I'm guessing you're looking for reference material for Visla and this as well if so I'll download the HD videos and send you screenshots.

26. Fierfek

Fierfek Sr Member

I have a good amount of reference pics for Malgus from Flagwaver, but could use some pics of the other characters. If you feel so inclined I would appreciate your help.

27. cskdigger

cskdigger New Member

does anyone know of a 3D model of this trooper

28. cdaaerial

cdaaerial New Member

Has anyone ever made the files for this for foam?