Old Obi Wan costume question

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
Hey friends,

Well as a long time member even I had trouble finding an answer to my question and searched and searched. Maybe you all can educate me!

I’m putting together an Old Obi Wan Kenobi costume. Do we know what materials the costume parts were made from? What material was his Jedi tunic made from? What material was the robe?

Is there a thread already where Old Obi Wan’s costume is broken down and discussed in detail?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays my friends!

~Chuck

Attachments

• 90937573-CE26-4575-870F-C4518E14F496.jpeg
    90937573-CE26-4575-870F-C4518E14F496.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 7,033
  • EBB0188C-C91E-4705-A529-E8AD7A7A764B.jpeg
    EBB0188C-C91E-4705-A529-E8AD7A7A764B.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 991
  • 783DE0B7-AFA2-4B73-8049-59B598AE27FE.jpeg
    783DE0B7-AFA2-4B73-8049-59B598AE27FE.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,533
  • 267D0A62-E907-4CAA-ADC0-32215B8841BE.jpeg
    267D0A62-E907-4CAA-ADC0-32215B8841BE.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 830
  • EBE50AD5-BB22-4D48-829D-82908261E872.jpeg
    EBE50AD5-BB22-4D48-829D-82908261E872.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,649
WARNING: LONG, IMAGE HEAVY POST!

The outer wool robe was made from brown military surplus wool blankets if I'm remembering correctly. Trisha Biggar mentioned that tidbit when talking about her designs for the prequel Obi-Wan costumes and referencing the original Ben Kenobi costume by John Mollo. In fact she said that they still had the selvage markings on them which showed that they were from WWII.

For a modern equivalent that you wouldn't have to dye you could look for brown wool coating fabric or even wool melton.

The brown shirt has sleeve plackets with the closure sewn to hide the buttons (which were likely on the inside), and s mandarin styled collar with a hook and eye closure on the right side of the neck.

The inner robes are made of a hand woven raw silk fabric and is hard to source and very expensive. King Textiles in Canada at one point offered a very similar fabric in a nearly identical weave but I'm not sure they offer it anymore and even when they did they didn't ship outside the country.

This is an identical fabric in weight and weave to the real silk fabric but made from 100% cotton and can be dyed any color you choose. Plus it's much, much more affordable.

The boots were 14L Campus Boots by Frye in a Tannish Brown. These pictures are of a vintage pair I owned a few years ago. They were made in the 1970's so would have been correct for the era for the production in 1976. The only major difference is that the screen used boots in ANH had black Vibram soles. The boots used in ESB, ROTJ and the ones currently in the Lucasfilm archives have the sole like the vintage pair shown below.

Parts1 (12).JPG
Parts1 (13).JPG

Here are some shots of the screen used belt and pouch (which in fact is not a pouch at all) but a piece of leather cut to look like one: These were kindly provided to me by the curator of The Power of Costume exhibit that toured a few years ago.

Screenused Belt (1).jpg
Screenused Belt (2).jpg
Screenused Belt (3).jpg
Screenused Belt (4).jpg
Screenused Belt (5).jpg
Screenused Belt (6).jpg

Here is a high resolution shot of the costume from Brandon Alinger's book:

Obi-Wan-Kenobi.jpg

Here are some shots of my Ben Kenobi costume I made with the King Textiles fabric that a Rebel Legion member was kind enough to source for me a few years ago. I made this last year but I had the fabric for a while before I did anything with it.

DSCN4628.JPG
DSCN4631.JPG
DSCN4634.JPG
DSCN4642.JPG
DSCN4643.JPG
DSCN4924.JPG
DSCN4925.JPG
DSCN4926.JPG
DSCN4927.JPG
DSCN4928.JPG
DSCN4933.JPG

ScreenusedBelt.jpg

Last edited:
I created a pattern from scratch using hundreds of pictures as reference and my own modified PT Era Jedi patterns I developed over the years to create it. A good place to start might be to use one of the generic PT era Jedi type patterns by Simplicity or McCall's and lengthen the skirt portion and some other modifications to fit your needs.

Btw you can still occasionally find blankets that are identical to those ww2 ones. The British army used the same blankets up till around 1960, they then got rid of many of the surplus stock to army surplus stores in the uk. A large quantity also ended up going to former British colonies like India. I have friends in the reenactment community and a couple of years ago they bought a quantity back from India lol. I currently have 2 that I use on my bed in the winter.

If I were to offer up a fabric package in the Junkyard with the Raw Silk fabric (Inner Robes), Wool (Outer Robe), and Cotton Twill (Shirt) along with a Brass Buckle blank, would anyone be interested? It would be pricey as the materials are high end, but very, very accurate. Let me know you crazy old wizards!

If I were to offer up a fabric package in the Junkyard with the Raw Silk fabric (Inner Robes), Wool (Outer Robe), and Cotton Twill (Shirt) along with a Brass Buckle blank, would anyone be interested? It would be pricey as the materials are high end, but very, very accurate. Let me know you crazy old wizards!
I’m interested, can I see the fabric please?

:)

~Chuck

Neither. This fabric came all the way from Australia and is 100% handwoven Raw Silk. The one from Dharma is 100% cotton and the other from King Textiles is a silk cotton blend.

I have two pieces both 50 inches wide. One piece is 6.5 yards long and the other 7 yards. Each should be sufficient to make a Ben Kenobi inner robe. These could also make Yoda robes too so it's a great option for that as well.

This type of material is often used in upholstery or drapes because of it's distinct texture. This was about $70.00 a yard even after the conversion rate.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back