Old Newsprint look

snouty

I've been obsessed for many years by getting the kind of "off register" and crappy looking newsprint looks for props and I think I'm getting close to the look I want.

Basically you take a photo, then in photoshop you convert to CMYK.

Select the black channel copy it and paste it into a new image and run the Filter -> Stylize -> Find Edges filter on it. Adjust to taste. When happy copy and paste it back into the black channel.

Then go into every colour channel and copy it and paste it into the new image and run the Filter->Sketch->Halftone Pattern filter over it. Settings I used were size = 3, contrast = 50, pattern = dot. Copy the new channel image and paste it back into the channel you got it from.

You're almost done. Get a scan of a blank piece of pulpy newsprint from the 50s and load that in over your image. Change the layer blending mode to Multiply.

Select all and copy the newsprint layer. Now go into the channels tab and add a new Alpha layer. Paste the newsprint and use the levels to make the black and white sliders touch the left and right tips of the histogram to darken it.

Go back and make a new layer on top. Choose Select -> Load Selection and fill that selection with white. Adjust the opacity to taste and you're done.

Oh unless you want to go into the channels and offset the cyan and magenta channels a few pixels up and to the left and down and to the right respectively to add that off register feel.

Hati new pic aug17.JPGHati new pic aug17 New Color Codegraph.jpg

You're welcome. :D

(Thanks to daughter Hati for the great selfie. She's really got that lighting down pat.)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back