Ok, uncle. Sharkman helmet, you win.

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by FWBulldog, May 12, 2012.

1. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

I admit, I have no clue how to get this giant cluster **** glued up. I must have had delisions of grandeur thinking I'd be able to pull off this helmet. OMG.

(slinks away in shame)

[​IMG]

2. SqueekinOrka

SqueekinOrka Well-Known Member

I've started pepping the exact same one and the eyes are really hard and fiddly i'm having trouble with it myself but managed to get 1 together.

They kinda fold back on there selves. I'm terrible at explaining but i'll try take a picture to see if helps.

I'm really sorry that the pictures aren't good. My camera was being cranky and wasn't liking the lighting. I apologize about the quality but i hope it can give you a rough idea. :$

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. YuZheng

YuZheng Member

It's okay man first eye i did i got hay wired and failed but the second one it started to get cleared. i try post a photo of the eye so it will be easier for you

4. YuZheng

YuZheng Member

5. helo2

helo2 New Member

I'm building this helmet also and I'm wondering what the purpose of sealing off the back of the eye is? Won't we just have to cut an opening in it afterward?

6. markkNL

markkNL Member

I guess it will warp less when you fill the gap.

7. YuZheng

YuZheng Member

Shark design this helmet to be like super detail and if you don't close the gap when you fibreglass it will go off shape.

8. helo2

helo2 New Member

Awesome, thanks guys.

9. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

I've ha a little success. I still don't quite understand how the sides of the faceplate join. That little strip can't be enough to hold the cheek and temple together?

[​IMG]

10. longlenium

longlenium New Member

dont put to much detail in the eyes inner cuz you need to cut it later...
    sooo it would be pointless to do the inner eyes. just keep thr outter edge
    hope that help

11. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

Re: Ok, uncle. Sharkman helmet, you win (not so fast, WIP!)

Ok, back on the horse. Imma kick this things butt, come hell or high water. Here is an update. Helmet is fully pep'd. Jaw and faceplate are glued to the bucket, I'll cut the fp loose later. I think I'm ready to resin the outside.

It's pretty solid, so I'm not too worried about warping. I could add some internal braces, but when working with my Halo buckets I learned to just do small symmetrical sections. Let that dry, and move on. My deadline is Halloween 2012, so I've got my work cut out for me, but I'm well on my way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  12. MTB

MTB Well-Known Member

The helm is one of the hardest parts to pep. When I resined mine I just did the whole thing at once. I got very small warping, But it took only a few min to fix with a heat gun.

Great start to a fun build! its pretty much down hill from here.....till you bondo......=)

13. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Nice start man! Yeah, that helmet is a beach to pep.....I got about ten percent in and just gave up....But it's nice to see you are dedicated!