ok, hitting a few snags

forklift

Jr Member
sweat and overheating, what do you do for that? I was wondered a bit till last night when I put on the helmet, now and I'm really worried!

sealing foam, what to use? I read a lot on here and get confused as HELL! The whole build is using Harbor Freight standing mat foam, so what should I use?
Somebody mentioned a Minwax product and others spray plastidip and Im all confused,

What should I do to fix the gaps in the screw up spots in the foam? This is my first build and theres a few gaps, ok dozens, ok maybe hundreds

sweat and overheating, what do you do for that? I was wondered a bit till last night when I put on the helmet, now and I'm really worried!
small computer fans in strategic locations work wonders, as well as a sweat wicking underarmor. The squirrel cage style fans work especially well for helmets

sealing foam, what to use? I read a lot on here and get confused as HELL! The whole build is using Harbor Freight standing mat foam, so what should I use?
Somebody mentioned a Minwax product and others spray plastidip and Im all confused,
I've had great luck with just PlastiDip spray. Some people go through more steps, but I haven't found a need to do more.

What should I do to fix the gaps in the screw up spots in the foam? This is my first build and theres a few gaps, ok dozens, ok maybe hundreds
Paintable silicon caulking. Get the type that cleans with water when it's still wet and you can wet your fingers down to smooth it out really nicely.

Ditto from me for all of The Ronin's answers. :thumbsup

Small computer box fans can be picked up for cheap, and can typically be run off of a small battery pack.

Spray plastidip can end up getting expensive, but it's extremely forgiving on EVA foam in terms of runs and finish. The more you spray on, the more self-leveling the skin will dry. Some people do apply a modge-podge- or PVA glue- and water blend first to initially seal first, but I've found the benefits to be negligent in my builds.

I use silicone caulking to fill nicks and holes in the foam before I apply my first coat of plastidip. Once I've got a good coat of dip on and dried, I then go back and use the silicone to clean up areas like cracks and gaps that are still obvious. Once the silicone hardens up, I keep applying plastidip until I'm happy with the surface. After that it's prime and paint.

Most of the time the fans are hooked up to a 9v battery, but it actually depends on what kind u get. Apologies if I missed what costume this is...but also look for opportunities to sneak vent slits into helmet in non visible places (obviously depends on outfit).

If your suit is still causing issues you could also consider a cooling vest. Some are passive..ie ice packs in pockets. You can make that type generally, and modify design to fit your suit contours. I've also seen, but never used, a circulation style vest that basically has aquarium tubing stitched all through it and circulates freezing cold water from a small cooling reservoir via a battery operated fish tank style pump.

Lastly, a well hidden camel back with ice water and a tube by your mouth goes a long way if u can do it.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the cooling fans, you can use a common 12v CPU box fan available at Radioshack/Amazon/etc... I'm talking about the standard fans that get installed into your average computer case. The easiest way to power most of these is to just connect it up to a 9 volt battery, you can add a switch inline as well if you don't want to have to pull the battery to power it off. I use these fans for cooling quite a bit, and they do a decent job even at only 9 volts. My current mk38 project will be getting a couple of 70mm boxes in the torso for cooling, but you can get much smaller ones (under 3/4") for helmet installs. Good luck with your build!

holy be ***** this might take a lot! No clue how you guys do all this! This seems to be taking forever and nothing seems right and it doesnt fit right and Im burning up!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back