Oil Based Clay? Help!

Vorseth

Hey guys,

Really stuck on this Oil-based clay stuff. Is oil based clay just Plasticine? If so, can you suggest what brands are good? I have some Plasticine already which i havent used much as it feels sticky when you work it for more than a few minutes but dries rock hard and has to be softened with a hair drier to mould further.

Can anyone clarify this for me? I am using water based clay for sculpting currently and it's starting to Piss me off! Lol

Many thanks!

I don't know the exact difference between kids plasticine and clay, but in terms of workability, they're quite similar. There are some clays, like Chavant, that are quite hard to work unless they've been heated to soften them. However, they do hold really fine detail well. Klean klay is similar, but much softer. If you were going to start with oil based clay, that's where I'd start. Try the regular firmness. Both will feel a little sticky when they get warm.

I've actually just switched from oil based to WED clay, as it's so much easier to block things out, but if you're not liking it, oil clay is definitely worth a try. Klean Klay and Chavant are the two brands I've used, and both are good, though quite different from each other.

I've worked with a few different types of oil-based clay, and I'm still not sure I have a favorite. I've used Klean Klay, which seems to be OK for mask sculpting and the like. They stopped carrying it at my local arts store, though. I've also used Van Aken Plastalina, which seems to get easier to mold when you warm it up, but shaping it with metal tools when it's cold seems to leave a less-than-smooth surface. I've tried Prima Plastilina, which would seem like it's a serious brand for serious artists, but it's pretty waxy and a little bit gooey to work with.

I haven't tried NSP Chavant yet, but I put some on my Christmas list just in case any of my family wanted to be generous.

Klean Klay isn't being made anymore. Stock on hand is it.

You can't melt it like you can NSP or the Classic Clay I use, either.

I think that if it's oil based you'll be fine. You'll find what you like if you try more then one type of clay too (hardness, color, tackyness). You will need to know if it contains sulfer if your going to have it near silicone. Otherwise just go to town. Well, maybe find out what they use that clay for locally too.

Monstermakers Premium clay is getting rave reviews and has been for some time, it holds small detail extremely well, melts, like chavant, but somehow manages to be none sticky.
I have 4 tubs of it here, but have not had time to sculpt what i bought it for.

DalChem in Victoria, Australia carries Monster Makers, and Chavant as well as a bunck of other brands.
http://www.dalchem.c...=341&Itemid=308
I've done 99% of my sculpting with Chavant NSP Medium, but have heard really good things about Monster makers. I've just started playing with Klean Klay a bit. It's super soft by comparison but I like it so far. Only problem is it's no longer being made (Under the label of Klean Klay anyway).

Try a few different ones out. DalChem should be able to get you need, unless you have other distributors closer by.

I just picked up 50 lbs of monster clay premium today, I will be starting a sculpt hopefully this weekend. One of my friends used it for school, He said it's very hard to begin with, but the more you use it the more pliable it gets. It will hold the smallest of details once it's put on the clay. To soften it up you can heat it in a stove pot, a croc pot(to melt it), in the original container in the oven, and even in the microwave in short bursts. Once I start the sculpt I will let you know what I think of it. I've been told at the beginning it might be a pain, but that I will warm up to it, and love it. Once I start a thread, just keep an eye on it.

On the plus side, It was the cheapest sulfur-free oil-based clay I can get shipped to me.

Plastersine is oil based....down side is if casting directly in plaster it will stain the mold as the oil leeches out as plaster sets.
Plasterlina is wax based.... comes in various types and makes from very soft to very firm... can be melted in to a liquid a number of times....being wax based, it is self releasing from most materials...if casting in plaster lightly dust your sculpture with plaster powder first this will help stop it running off your sculpture....there are sulpher free versions and recommend always getting the sulpher free anyway just in case, for blending for smoothing use cigerette lighter fluid (do not do near a flame or hot heat source).

Water based clay is good and easy to use....but best to seal surface with blad cap plastic or something like before casting....threre are a number of spray sealants out there. Down side is keeping sculpture damp over the work life.

Wed clay is like the common water clay but has Glycerine in it to slow down the drying out process.

Just some basic facts I thought I would add.

Plasticine is a softer oilier oil based clay that contains no wax. Plastiline combines oil and wax. Avoid any clay that has sulfur, like Roma or others, as it tends to cause issues with certain materials like silicone.

Roma Plastilina smells like crap. Worst smelling clay ever, the oil from the clay makes the smell stick to your hands as well. It wont kill you but its annoying trying to get the stink off.

I just wanna chime in regarding WED CLAY. I use it constantly. It is really useful for Mold Walls. And also for using with your entire sculpture. I have sculpted everything from Bio Helmets to Full Body Sculptures with it. Love it. It is very soft to start off, which lets you rough out a sculpture quickly. Then over time it slowly drys and hardens which is useful for doing very fine detail etc.
A lot of people make it seem that the "drying out" is a huge issue. I literally left a Full P1 head sculpture about 80% complete alone wrapped in plastic for 3 months. I returned to the sculpture being very hard and dried out, just for ***** and giggles i wraped a Towel Soaked with water around it and then re sealed it with a plastic bag... 2-3 days later all the moisture from the towel wicked its way back into the sculpture.

So for what it is worth this is my 2 Cents.

Goodluck!

I only suggest using Laguna's WED clay for mold walls if you are desperate. Laguna's EM 210 White Clay works far far better for mold walls. I find WED too stick for mold making.

Could someone direct me to the correct thread if you want to make a bio, but want to use clay? I have researched it and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Roma Plastilina smells like crap. Worst smelling clay ever, the oil from the clay makes the smell stick to your hands as well. It wont kill you but its annoying trying to get the stink off.

I just wanna chime in regarding WED CLAY. I use it constantly. It is really useful for Mold Walls. And also for using with your entire sculpture. I have sculpted everything from Bio Helmets to Full Body Sculptures with it. Love it. It is very soft to start off, which lets you rough out a sculpture quickly. Then over time it slowly drys and hardens which is useful for doing very fine detail etc.
A lot of people make it seem that the "drying out" is a huge issue. I literally left a Full P1 head sculpture about 80% complete alone wrapped in plastic for 3 months. I returned to the sculpture being very hard and dried out, just for ***** and giggles i wraped a Towel Soaked with water around it and then re sealed it with a plastic bag... 2-3 days later all the moisture from the towel wicked its way back into the sculpture.

So for what it is worth this is my 2 Cents.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back