Oh great...another Graflex build...

DarkLyte

So this is my first major post on RPF however I've been lurking around for quite some time. Great forum! I started off this project with a basic Korbanth/Parks Graflex 2.0 kit and got in on the run back in November. I knew from the get-go that I wanted to do something unique with it and give building every component myself. The inner "grenade" blade holder showed a lot of limitations especially for a large custom crystal chamber. So I got to planning and hunting for parts, researching different techniques, and finding inspiration from a lot of the pros. Here's the specs of the build:

Graflex 2.0 set up in the TFA configuration
Plecter Labs Nano Biscotte V2 (with on board PEX hack for full power) loaded with Bespin II (Madcow) and TFA Graflex (Lord Blako)
B/B/B Tri-Cree XPE2 with all 3 die wired in parallel
Parks replica see through glass eye,
KR Sabers blade plug
28mm Bass Speaker
Solo's Hold 18500 battery
Custom chassis designed by me and printed by Shapeways
Aluminum speaker holder designed by me and turned by KR Sabers
Genuine Aqua Aura quartz crystal
Custom designed and hand made crystal chamber (by me)
TCSS Kobold D-ring
Replica red button (got it from the run on here)
VV 7/8" diffused blade (on the way)
Slothfurnace Silver Soldered clamp card

The start of the crystal chamber

image_zpsx5dckaiq.jpg

image_zpszwi1i8lf.jpg

image_zpsdpy7glxw.jpg

Spent some time making copper radiator fins using my drill press and belt sander

image_zpsxy64esqa.jpg

image_zpshcbftequ.jpg

image_zps5can4v39.jpg

Shots of the chassis I designed in Solidworks and had Shapeways print

image_zpsiimhb9uq.jpg

image_zps9odra9a8.jpg

image_zpsemmtj6wg.jpg

I designed the chassis to have SD card access when you slide the crustal chamber out of the bottom of the chassis. The chamber is held in with two set screws. When separated, the recharge port is also exposed.

image_zps34umkfuy.jpg

I designed the recharge port to sit in the top of the crystal chamber. The port is surrounded with a custom designed acrylic surround that I drew up and cut on my laser. It also has a wire pass to keep things clean.

image_zpsdykj5fhn.jpg

One of the big differences with my design was that I chose to use the top of the stock blade holder assembly and designed the chassis to fit it after being cut off of the grenade section. So I through it on the lathe and did some work after drilling and tapping a hole for the heatsink retention screw.

image_zpsdantk6ng.jpg

image_zpsqtppthe9.jpg

image_zpsojsilppk.jpg

Finished product (the black piece on the bottom was something I originally designed for holding the resitors but decided not to use it)

image_zpsuylnpcoa.jpg

Wiring time!

image_zpsbg4doumm.jpg

First charge!

image_zpsrfunppkt.jpg

First test fit.

image_zpsoio2albv.jpg

I decided that I wanted to blend the chassis in better with the rest of the hilt so I painted it silver.

image_zpsuneukqdj.jpg

image_zpsh6jlhzig.jpg

Wanted to make the chamber look a little more realistic so I added some weathering.

image_zps2rffgusw.jpg

I ended up missing a measurement and not taking the threads in the bottom half of the 2.0 into consideration when designing the chassis. So unfortunately the two halves of the saber wouldn't fit together properly...

image_zps1svrkv4s.jpg

So I threw the bottom half on the lathe and bored the threads out...

image_zpsox64gj9e.jpg

image_zps7k5adolq.jpg

Perfect fit!

image_zps80q0kczo.jpg

TCSS D Ring

image_zpsnxfqlehz.jpg

Upgraded replica red button

image_zpsi35u077a.jpg

All lit up and showing off the shine through glass eye!

image_zpsdzeme78l.jpg

All these photos were taken on my cell phone throughout the build however I am planning on taking some legit glamor shots once my VV blade arrives. Enjoy!

Last edited:
This is by far the BEST 2.0 build I have ever seen! Now all it needs is a badass custom stand to really make it stand out ;) (Get it? STAND out? lol)

Wow this is amazing! I've been working on a chamber and must say its a lot harder than it looks. Also glad to see someone use a Parks v1 eye in a 2.0, I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

Holy **** that is awesome! I'm pretty new to any saber stuff, so my background on information is nil. But that's exactly how I pictured it would work with the crystal being harnessed for the energy. Not sure what this is based off of but that is epic man!

Wow this is amazing! I've been working on a chamber and must say its a lot harder than it looks. Also glad to see someone use a Parks v1 eye in a 2.0, I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

Thanks! It works but you have to cut it down to right before the threads on the backside. However you could always drill the blade holder to fit an unmodified glass eye. I just found it easier and less risky to throw the eye on a lathe and turn the excess material down.

Made an accuracy upgrade to the Graflex yesterday and couldn't be happier. I used 1/8" rivets for the D Ring and 5/32" rivets for the grips. The ones in the grips were cut down and pressed in (after widening the holes with a 5/32" drill bit. Since this ended up making the rivets hollow, the sound quality improved tremendously and gave the speaker more clarity without sacrificing the resonance. Highly recommend this modification if you own a 2.0. [br][br]
image_zpsnfo66aqf.jpg

Made an accuracy upgrade to the Graflex yesterday and couldn't be happier. I used 1/8" rivets for the D Ring and 5/32" rivets for the grips. The ones in the grips were cut down and pressed in (after widening the holes with a 5/32" drill bit. Since this ended up making the rivets hollow, the sound quality improved tremendously and gave the speaker more clarity without sacrificing the resonance. Highly recommend this modification if you own a 2.0. [br]

Great idea with those rivets, I might try drilling out the original hex screws to achieve the same thing :D

Can't take the credit for the rivets but drilling out the screws might be more hassle than it's worth. I say just get some rivets. It's a quick 15 minute project.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back