Off World "street poster" (Blade Runner)

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I saw the Blade Runner final cut last night - feeling all Blade Runnery today. Sooo, I'm making a blade runner poster from the S-D corp, advertising the Off World colonies. Corporate sponsors are at the bottom right, and the "terms and limitations" legalese will be on the bottom left. I'll also be "pasting" a playbill under the offworld logo, like someone came along and slapped another ad over top of this one, advertising the Snake Pit dancing girls or something... Once it's finalized, I'll post up the high res file so you guys can print 'em if you want to. It's not done, but you get the idea:

offworld_poster.jpg

I like the way the dude on the lower left is looking up, reminiscent of old time war propaganda posters.

Imagine having to advertise for people to go off world?

Hell man, show me where the line is!

Very cool :lol

You need the geisha on there.

"Apply at the Shimago-Dominguez sector 4 office: XXXXX XXXXX"

And don't forget Pan-Am, and Coca-Cola, Toshiba, RCA, etc! :lol

-Mike

It should read, "Come on, America!" as you're addressing others.

Also, maybe this is crazy, but shouldn't it be advertising life...off-world? Like an Army recruiting poster shows people in uniform doing things--things that relate to being a soldier. So, shouldn't a poster advertising jobs on other planets, I dunno, show people working on those other planets?

Just not feeling the off-world thing, here. Blade Runner-y, yes. Off-world colony-y, no.

It's like a shoe ad like this:

Presentation1.jpg

Well, make your own, smarty pants :).

Personally, I like the ridiculous ambiguity. Those are "refugees" looking at the blimp (floating like god, above the dirty city) in a way that says "yeah, I should get outta this hell-hole!". Besides, do people go off-world to work? I thought that the Replicants were the workers. So an Off World poster fitting your criteria would show opulence or recreation. Which actually is a pretty funny idea too, because I bet the intent was to trick people into going to a crummy Mars colony. I think that concept was alluded to in one of the drafts, where Gaff (I think it was Gaff) says something along the line of "you don't advertise something great - you push crap. If Off World was such a great place, they'd be trying to keep it a secret!"

Maybe I'll make my next poster riffing off of that, lol.

Not everything has to be so literal. Just my personal opinion.

It should read, "Come on, America!" as you're addressing others.

Also, maybe this is crazy, but shouldn't it be advertising life...off-world? Like an Army recruiting poster shows people in uniform doing things--things that relate to being a soldier. So, shouldn't a poster advertising jobs on other planets, I dunno, show people working on those other planets?

Just not feeling the off-world thing, here. Blade Runner-y, yes. Off-world colony-y, no.

It's like a shoe ad like this:

Presentation1.jpg

That doesn't work either, if we're being so literal... why would you try to sell that? That's like saying "Join the Army - See Nazis shoot you to bits on Omaha Beach!"

But dark humor-wise, it's a fun idea :)

See attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion!

I'm making the "Approved for posting in Sector 7" poster next, which will have the variant blimp with Geisha graphics - didn't want to blow the wad on this one ;)

Note the "White Dragon" logo at the bottom of this one - it's in the film, barely!

Very cool :lol

You need the geisha on there.

"Apply at the Shimago-Dominguez sector 4 office: XXXXX XXXXX"

And don't forget Pan-Am, and Coca-Cola, Toshiba, RCA, etc! :lol

-Mike

I guess I failed at conveying the good-natured tone in calling you "smarty pants" - apologies. I was simply offering my perspective - where I was "coming from" when I slapped the poster together. Constructive criticism is always wanted, but if I disagree, do I not have the right to say so?

If you feel I was being a dick about it, i really do apologize - I used the smiley to signal that, in fact, I was coming from a humorous place. If I knew you were going to be thin-skinned, I would have been more careful in my counter point. It certainly was not intended as a rebuke, and I am sorry that you read it as such.

And I still would love to see your concept for an off world poster.

Attempted smiley aside, since constructive criticism is clearly not wanted, I'll take the rebuke and the belated gratitude for the error in grammar and be on my way.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back