"Off-the-rack" helmet display cabinets

squirk

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since I am spending so much extra time in my home office nowadays, I am idly thinking about adding a built-in bookshelves to display my helmets. But I am wondering if anyone had suggestions on retail off-the-shelf widely-available standalone bookshelves they could recommend?

I kind of like the IKEA Detolf units because they let you view the helmets from all sides, but a.) they are only about five feet tall and I wanted something taller; and b.) it seems like they are a little too shallow for some helmets with larger bases (like, TIE Pilots), whereby the helmet hangs or pokes out.

Any alternative suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!

You can't beat the price on the Detolf's, (unless they are on sale). They can be displayed almost anywhere, in corners, side by side, etc...
You mentioned the drawbacks of the vertical size and the slender size so that it can only display some smaller helmets, and I will add that the shelves are not adjustable either. I've seen some easy to do mods with tie-wraps, but they may not be totally reliable as I've seen tie wraps fail.
(If only IKEA made these Detolf's a few inches wider they would be able to fit in quite a few more types of helmets).

A trophy display case may be another solution (Even though some of the SW helmets with the swoop won't fit unless you display them sideways). They are usually engineered to be deeper and higher and most have the ability to have adjustable shelves, and have the ability to hold heavy objects. The drawback is price. Some go upwards of 1000 dollars. But you may able to get a used one for cheaper. Some shops may go out of business due to this Covid-19 thing, so perhaps with a bit of patience you might be able to score a display case at an auction or something online.

TazMan2000

You can't beat the price on the Detolf's, (unless they are on sale). They can be displayed almost anywhere, in corners, side by side, etc...
You mentioned the drawbacks of the vertical size and the slender size so that it can only display some smaller helmets, and I will add that the shelves are not adjustable either. I've seen some easy to do mods with tie-wraps, but they may not be totally reliable as I've seen tie wraps fail.
(If only IKEA made these Detolf's a few inches wider they would be able to fit in quite a few more types of helmets).

A trophy display case may be another solution (Even though some of the SW helmets with the swoop won't fit unless you display them sideways). They are usually engineered to be deeper and higher and most have the ability to have adjustable shelves, and have the ability to hold heavy objects. The drawback is price. Some go upwards of 1000 dollars. But you may able to get a used one for cheaper. Some shops may go out of business due to this Covid-19 thing, so perhaps with a bit of patience you might be able to score a display case at an auction or something online.

TazMan2000

Thanks! Yeah, the one issue I have with close-out sales is that it’ll be hard for me to find more of the same cabinet down the road. I made that mistake once in the past at World Market, and have never been able to find more bookcases that match the close-out unit I bought.

I know it’s just my OCD talking, but I was hoping to find something that is widely available now, and likely widely available in the future as well (i.e., as I acquire more helmets), so my office doesn’t just look like a mish-mash of shelving.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back