Odeon Theater 1978 Edmonton

anamorphicWayne

Sr Member
My latest project was the Odeon Theater, an old cinema on Jasper Ave, Edmonton Alberta. The scene depicts a night in 1978 where Star Wars and Close Encounters were the main attractions. I saw both films there for the first time as well as ALIEN in 79'. Finding good reference material wasn't easy. Luckily, I found super 8 footage of the theater in the same year when the two films were still showing. The second photo showed what it was like before it was sold and turned into a night club.
Unfort, the theater/club was torn down in 2013.

BTW, I must apologies for the wavy electrical cables. :sick:

1978 - Edmonton Jasper Ave.MP4_snapshot_02.39.683.jpg

Theatres - Edmonton - Odeon 03.jpg

2019-01 Odeon.jpg

2019-02 Odeon.jpg

2019-03 Odeon.jpg

2019-04 Odeon.jpg

2019-05 Odeon.jpg

Amazing work...for my electric cable, I use a plastic strand that's for necklace making. You'll find it at Michael's in black already;)

Thanks Taz. I tried to simulate the different color temperatures; florescent and tungsten. I also had different variations of each so they won't look consistent. Not too bad.

Incredible! Wow! A model! I thought those were photos!

I wish someone would make a model of the Edens 2 theater in Northbrook, IL that was torn down a long time ago. Camped overnight to see Return of the Jedi there on May 25th, 1983 at midnight. Was the last Cinemascope theater in that area. The theater was round and the screen covered almost half the diameter of the interior and the sound system for the time was unreal.

But wow -that is an amazing pice of work you shared with us!

Incredible! Wow! A model! I thought those were photos!

I wish someone would make a model of the Edens 2 theater in Northbrook, IL that was torn down a long time ago. Camped overnight to see Return of the Jedi there on May 25th, 1983 at midnight. Was the last Cinemascope theater in that area. The theater was round and the screen covered almost half the diameter of the interior and the sound system for the time was unreal.

But wow -that is an amazing pice of work you shared with us!

HaHa, thanks INVAR. :D
I was thinking of doing two other theaters where I saw Empire and Jedi, but one of them is near to impossible to find any reference info. The theater where I saw Empire is still standing, as far as I know.

Wow, if it wasn't for the wavy electric lines, I would have mistaken that for a photo of an actual building!

Very impressive

Thanks Analyzer. :D
It seems a lot of folks are mistaken it as a real building. How interesting.

Keeping things appropriate for the scale, plus the lighting combined with the quality of the photo fools you enough to think you are not looking at a miniature.

Most miniature pics are easily recognized as minis due to way out of scale lighting, or details that look too "thick" or out of scale. Also from a photo standpoint, getting things in focus across the whole field of view is hard for minis. You usually get part of the mini or diorama in focus and the rest of it blurry which makes it look fake. I have seen people use focus stacking of images with different focal points to help hide that. I don't know if your is the result of stacked images, or is one take, but the results are impressive

I'd be interested in your setup/equipment

Keeping things appropriate for the scale, plus the lighting combined with the quality of the photo fools you enough to think you are not looking at a miniature.

Most miniature pics are easily recognized as minis due to way out of scale lighting, or details that look too "thick" or out of scale. Also from a photo standpoint, getting things in focus across the whole field of view is hard for minis. You usually get part of the mini or diorama in focus and the rest of it blurry which makes it look fake. I have seen people use focus stacking of images with different focal points to help hide that. I don't know if your is the result of stacked images, or is one take, but the results are impressive

I'd be interested in your setup/equipment

I pretty much shot it in one take, no comping or image manipulating or close-up lenses. I basically use a DSLR w/18-55mm lens and set the exposure to 'aperture priority' at f22 and let the camera determine the shutter speed. Which might be about 10-20 seconds, depending on the lighting. And of course, I use a tripod. As for lights, I simply use LEDs you get at a dollar store and mount them in couple of photo lamp fixtures on stands. I used this method with all my model shoots.

With the theater, I used one lamp, pointed at the ceiling to create ambient lighting and let the miniature's light illuminate everything.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back