Obscure Goonies Prop Question

FathomRequiem

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just curious if anyone knows anything about the book/journal found with Chester Copperpot? The one that Mikey finds the 1973 Topps Lou Gherig card in. Everything I've read says he found the card in Chester Copperpot's wallet... Not the case.
DSC_0533.JPG

I haven't watched Goonies in a while, but I would bet on a book. Possibly a book on the history of Astoria, as a reference for his quest. It would describe One Eyed Willie's role in history. Therefore, this book would not exist in our real life history of Astoria. The baseball card would be a bookmark, marking an important page for reference. There would be little need to mark a page in a Journal, since if he would have created the journal, he would know where most things are or just remember the information without referring to a journal. You can see if there's a history of Astoria that's about the same size and thickness. Though, I kind of doubt it.

Last edited:
s-l1600.jpg s-l16060.jpg s-l16400.jpg

Here's the history of OREGON. (on eBay) In the Goonies world, it would have Astoria and One Eyed Willie.

That's an interesting theory Jintosh. Hadn't thought about that. I was thinking some sort of field manual or book on pirate lore. That book you found is a good likeness too. Time period is a bit off (1971)... but so was the baseball card. Too bad we can't see what Mikey is looking at.

Yep. The Goonies was 1985, it might have been easier to get an older copy of the history of Oregon back then, rather than now, some 33 years later.

As an especially thick journal, I would have expected some sort of strap. A book is usually in a house, and not in the field. A field journal would need some way of keeping it closed all the time while carrying it around in a sack or backpack, etc.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back