Done / Completed OBLIVION - Jack Harper's Pistol Kit (TEMP ON HOLD!)

Re: OBLIVION - Jack Harper's Pistol Kit

The pinstripe detail will likely be done as a decal, so you'll really only need to do a 3-tone paint job (light grey, dark grey and silver).

I'm a tad confused though. Confirmed orders are barely scratching 1/3 of the interested number despite bringing this in for a lot less than initially estimated... too close to the rifle run perhaps?

Cool deal on the stripe's. and I hope the orders get way past 1/3. you guys put allot of time into this. If anybody want's to share how there planing on masking of the barrel part for paint. I could use some tips..

Tamiya's thin masking tape is fantastic. Also, you can mask off difficult-to-reach areas with some masking agent (usually latex based... humbrol makes some pink in color) using a brush.

The pinstripe detail will likely be done as a decal, so you'll really only need to do a 3-tone paint job (light grey, dark grey and silver).

I'm a tad confused though. Confirmed orders are barely scratching 1/3 of the interested number despite bringing this in for a lot less than initially estimated... too close to the rifle run perhaps?

Not sure, but I plan to buy another from you tomorrow (for my brother). Can wait to see what Frosty does with this one.

I was also interested in the one with the working trigger, metal barrel, lights, etc.... but I can wait until you're done with this run.

Me too. because I am quite lost as to how to accomplish that at the moment. pin striping maybe?

I did have an idea but I'm not sure it's een possible...

Print out the entire thing onto a plastic shrink-wrap "sleeve" and heat shrink it right on to the model. I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't imagine the material doesn't exist to be able to accomplish this... the hardest part would be figuring out the % of shrinkage when heating it so you know exactly how much you'll have to scale it up when printing it to match the model.

Tamiya's thin masking tape is fantastic. Also, you can mask off difficult-to-reach areas with some masking agent (usually latex based... humbrol makes some pink in color) using a brush.
Thanks Joe. I was wondering just the other day if there was some kind of brush on masking stuff.

I did have an idea but I'm not sure it's een possible...

Print out the entire thing onto a plastic shrink-wrap "sleeve" and heat shrink it right on to the model. I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't imagine the material doesn't exist to be able to accomplish this... the hardest part would be figuring out the % of shrinkage when heating it so you know exactly how much you'll have to scale it up when printing it to match the model.
WWow. If you do that. you have to show us the results. sound's fantastic. turn heat gun on. wave a little. BOOM paint job done.... hope you have good luck with this...

WWow. If you do that. you have to show us the results. sound's fantastic. turn heat gun on. wave a little. BOOM paint job done.... hope you have good luck with this...

More just throwing the idea out there. I wouldn't even know where to start. Thought maybe some of the expert her emight have more experience working with shrink wrap that might see it and think "hmmm, that could actually work".

If I ever come into a way to pull it off I'll surely have a go at it. Resources are pretty slim pickins where I'm living right now.

ETA: I was looking at the artist rendering of the pistol and didn't realize just how little white there is on it.
I was looking at vinyl wrap videos on YouTube... looks like a pretty neat process, but not sure it would be good for smaller items like this. Still like the idea... just need to research it for this sort of application I guess.

Last edited:

That's cool.

Doe's anybody have any screen captures they could share with me. for color matching. I think I may use this gun as a test canvas. and buy another one down the road when I get It right.

And also I could use some info on what this plastic could take as far as clean up. of certain types of paint. mainly enamel or possibly acrylic..
had some bad luck one time trying to clean off a part made of plastic and melted It.

and thanks guys for any and all help/ tips/ tricks/ advice/ etc.

The actual paint should be pretty easy since all of the areas that need masking have fairly defined cotoffs (like the thin seam on the grip). I'm going to try Tamiya "nato black" for the dark grey and something close to white for the lighter parts. (You can get Tamiya paints as bottles for airbrush AND as rattle cans.) The casting should be pretty easy to mask off. The thin, stripe details is easiest to do with decals- we've got some things going on there as another RPFer has offered to do them.

Thanks Joe. when you get your mixture right on the nato black. could you let me know what the mixture was? I still have to get a hold of an air brush. and that's awesome news on the decals. If I can help In any way just let me know...I don't have to much skill in the painting department. but I can throw money at It.lol

Just ordered some of the nato black. and thanks for the tip for white. I would have screwed that up. I was reading on the clothing part of the movie. some were here. that grey is not always just black and white. hope you post up some pic's of your paint job. going to look sweet..

I was just at the auto store to buy primer. found a dupli-coler called natural white. don't think It's quite right...

IMG_0486.JPG

That's cool.

Doe's anybody have any screen captures they could share with me. for color matching. I think I may use this gun as a test canvas. and buy another one down the road when I get It right.

And also I could use some info on what this plastic could take as far as clean up. of certain types of paint. mainly enamel or possibly acrylic..
had some bad luck one time trying to clean off a part made of plastic and melted It.

and thanks guys for any and all help/ tips/ tricks/ advice/ etc.

OBLIVION_02_LG_zps3af9d368.png

OBLIVION_02_LARGE_zpsb625115d.png

Will these help?

This is what I'm giving to GeneralFROSTY for my paint-up.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back