Oblivion - Bubbleship

Talking of stealing, that design looks a lot like the central cockpit area of the T.I.E Fighter!.. I guess we should say they got inspiration from other sources.

Doesn't look anything like a Tie in the movie... looks more like a dragonfly made by Apple.

Saw a post by Randy Cooper on his FB page about the same thing, hes building one now and it will be available as a kit in 1/18 scale! :)

Quote from the post: "i'm going to do a video diary as i buld 2 models, the phoenix, and the bubble ship from "Oblivion" & "took these pics off the blu ray version (50 in all) off the TV, setting up my camera up on a trypod..this is one time i wish i had a blu-ray player in my computer, with a screen grab program...I'm glad i waited to start building one"

Saw a post by Randy Cooper on his FB page about the same thing, hes building one now and it will be available as a kit in 1/18 scale! :)

Quote from the post: "i'm going to do a video diary as i buld 2 models, the phoenix, and the bubble ship from "Oblivion" & "took these pics off the blu ray version (50 in all) off the TV, setting up my camera up on a trypod..this is one time i wish i had a blu-ray player in my computer, with a screen grab program...I'm glad i waited to start building one"

Sweet! :thumbsup

I'm not on FB so please post info here. I'm new to the scale model thing but I really like this ship!

thanks!

Loved the movie but the drones reminded me of the zeroids from Gerry Andersons Terrahawks

zeroid.jpg

I'd be interested in the dragonfly and the sentry droids.

I thought the movie was great ( a little of this and that from other movies, but I didn't mind ).

I to have thought of tackling this build as well. Ebay had some plastic spheres in a variety of sizes, also christmas ornaments made of plastic would work as well. The rest of the model could be made of styrene or find a helicopter kit to build the tail section.

Great news!

I was lucky enough to find a few awesome CAD models of the bubble ship on Grab CAD, the one by 'JISSI' was the most accurate that I could see(jissi, France - GrabCAD) . This was incentive enough for me to get cracking on the model. I have spent the past few nights changing the model piece by piece to bring it closer to the shape of the model used in the film. I have finished the thruster pods, the ailernons, tail and the fuselage so far. I still have to do the cockpit interior, landing gear and guns. I also found a fantastic drone model on Thingiverse (Oblivion Defender Drone!! by BrandonW6 - Thingiverse) The guns on the drones are very similar to the Bubble ship so they are going to be helpful when I get to drawing them up in 3D.

I was unable to find any clear camera domes for the cockpit but I did find a clear hemisphere from a nail care set which I will mill to shape or hand cut when the time comes. I will mill the doors from clear acrylic.
bubble ship model.jpgParts.jpg
As I complete the parts I have been FDM printing them and where feasible, milling them from SmoothCast or Ureol. This is to test the parts as I go and it helps to keep a sense of how small the parts are in the computer. The test model is about 1:26 scale, once that is complete, and depending on if I can find /make suitable clear parts, I will most likely make another one at around 1:12 scale.

Oh and when I am finished all the parts I will most likely publish them on Thingiverse :)

Chat soon.

According to the Trivia section of the IMDB, for Tom Cruise's 50th birthday, he received one of the bikes in the film, and he gave Joseph Kosinski a diecast model of the Bubbleship.

I just saw this over on Starship Modeler forums.

Starship Modeler Discussion Forums :: Log in

I might have to keep an eye on the progress and snag one when it's available.

I'm not sure if it's one of those member only viewing things, in case it it I copied the lead post below.

So, I just received a green light to let you all know.....

If you're a fan of the Bubbleship from Oblivion...you might want to stop by Al's table [at Jerseyfest]and take a look at the 1:42 scale [1:48 scale(typo)] patterns I'm finishing up for Fantastic Plastic.

The patterns are at ( approx. ) 85% but you'll get a real good idea of what the kit's going to look like.

**EDIT**

If you're on Facebook. Fantastic Plastic has images on their FB page.

**EDIT again**

After looking at the FB page it seems the ship is 1/72 scale. they must have gotten confused in their excetement over on Starship Modeler, sorry for any confusion.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantastic-Plastic-Models/291748470935 2/3 way down on the left.

Last edited:
modelnutz over at SSM is making one... he had it at Jerseyfest this weekend. 1/48 scale. Slick little model, he even let me hold it :).

Jedi Dade

FYI... the pattern ( for fantastic Plastic ) is, in fact, 1:48 scale.
Approx. 9-10 inches long.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the pattern and hope to be shipping to FP in a week or 2.

And, Yes...it's spectacular ;-)

I think someone did the drones already... I think it was in the Props section however.
The Props in Oblivion are just great! I really like the sleek futuristic design of the drones and bubbleship and the guns but also the style of the scavengers. Awesome visuals IMO

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back