Obi-Wan Motorized Stunt Lightsaber reference thread

APOLLO IND

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It seems as if there’s a decent amount of information on this Original Trilogy stunt saber spread throughout the RPF. Although, I thought it might helpful to have everything in one place in a definitive thread specifically referring to the Obi-Wan Stunt saber used in A New Hope for the duel against Vader. I know DaveP has recently done an excellent rendition of this saber, and I have seen others that are great as well! If you have any screen references please post them here :) I have yet to see any references of the saber with transistors, (although I really want to put them on mine) So if you have any, I’d love to see them! Thanks for looking, feel free to chime in or discuss photos, paint colors etc!

Pull whatever you wish from this old thread, there’s some good resolution pics.

Edit: added new link to reflect new thread title.

Last edited:
Pull whatever you wish from this old thread, there’s some good resolution pics.
This is an amazing thread to check out! Thanks a lot scarf man!!

E01CE680-AF37-4F90-8B89-1A9AB521359D.jpeg
Great photo of the transistors here! Finally found one all thanks to you!

From my Archives collected over the many years courtesy Lucasfilm Ltd. and thanks to whomever posted them online ... for me to gather and share :

obi2.jpg

OB1 Stuntsaber V2.jpg

OB1 Shared Stunt Clamp.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

SWMag005.jpg

tumblr_mwsaeaBE2V1rey8wlo1_1280.jpg

OldBen01_zpseb9c8b55.JPG

OldBen02_zpsf723c342.JPG

Ben and Darth.jpg

Ben%20vs%20Darth%20ANH_zpsxmmzon1w.JPG

IMG_0905.jpg

tumblr_mwsa1r0TPb1rey8wlo1_1280.jpg

12778739_10204629532572814_903285128438801121_o.jpg

318AA 400 5c10d069af160.jpeg

333B 5 119704022_3356560321102601_3728958632236660639_o.jpg

star_wars_lightsabers_darth_vader_screenshots_obi-wan_kenobi_desktop_1920x1080_wallpaper-37010...jpg

Notice the white wire coming from inside Obi-Wan's sleeve :

Star-Wars-Movie-Mistakes-Lightsaber-Cord-Wire.jpg

And the motorised stuntsaber seen here in rehearsals for ESB with Bob Anderson and Mark who's holding the 'Warehouse stunt':

bob anderson.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
From my Archives collected over the many years courtesy Lucasfilm Ltd. and thanks to whomever posted them online ... for me to gather and share :

View attachment 1596354

View attachment 1596347

View attachment 1596346

View attachment 1596361

View attachment 1596375

View attachment 1596363

View attachment 1596393

View attachment 1596394

View attachment 1596367

View attachment 1596391

View attachment 1596365

View attachment 1596366

View attachment 1596369

View attachment 1596370

View attachment 1596371

View attachment 1596379

Notice the white wire coming from inside Obi-Wan's sleeve :

View attachment 1596381

And the stuntsaber seen here with Mark Hamill in rehearsals for ESB with Bob Anderson :

View attachment 1596372

Chaïm
Brilliant!! A lot of these that I haven’t seen!!

I had to edit my post because I just read about the so-called Warehouse stunt in Halliwax's weird V3 thread so that's the stunt saber minus the G R A F L E X clamp as seen here with Dave Prowse on the set of Empire :

Warehouse Stunt.jpg

So it's possible some of the pictures I posted previously contain this Warehouse Stunt as opposed to the Motorised Stunt ... for which I apologize up front because the clamp is not always visible.

Chaïm

Here is most of my BTS reference photos + screen caps for all ANH stunts in a google drive, lots of shots of the Duel and a few of the Cantina in there for Obi, though most of the best images have been shared already!

I haven't checked the forums frequently and am still playing catch-up, but this reminded me to update my thread a bit; you may find some of what you are looking for here:

I think I collected and covered a decent amount of information on the ANH stunt Obi-Wan hilts in that thread. Plus there is a lot of general info on the stunt sabers of ANH condensed into one place. I have added links to most relevant research threads I am aware of in there now, too.

Hope this helps!

Here is most of my BTS reference photos + screen caps for all ANH stunts in a google drive, lots of shots of the Duel and a few of the Cantina in there for Obi, though most of the best images have been shared already!

I haven't checked the forums frequently and am still playing catch-up, but this reminded me to update my thread a bit; you may find some of what you are looking for here:

I think I collected and covered a decent amount of information on the ANH stunt Obi-Wan hilts in that thread. Plus there is a lot of general info on the stunt sabers of ANH condensed into one place. I have added links to most relevant research threads I am aware of in there now, too.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this!!

View attachment 1596322Great photo of the transistors here! Finally found one all thanks to you!
Hey Ariston.

I believe that this particular shot is what's referred to as the "Death Saber", and is believed to be a different stunt to the one that ends up being the V2. The profile of the emitter is different, and has a larger nipple. Halliwax has a video on this on his YT channel.

I cant say for sure if the transistors were on the V2 motorised stunt, but I haven't seen a definitive photo yet that proves they were, which is why I chose to leave them off mine. I figured it would make sense to leave them off the duelling hilt for comfort.

Some people choose to add them, and I must admit, they do look good. It's a nice nod to the static prop too.

I'm still cautiously of the belief that they weren't on the duelling stunt though (V2/Motorised stunt).

Always happy to be proven wrong of course.

Hey Ariston.

I believe that this particular shot is what's referred to as the "Death Saber", and is believed to be a different stunt to the one that ends up being the V2. The profile of the emitter is different, and has a larger nipple. Halliwax has a video on this on his YT channel.

I cant say for sure if the transistors were on the V2 motorised stunt, but I haven't seen a definitive photo yet that proves they were, which is why I chose to leave them off mine. I figured it would make sense to leave them off the duelling hilt for comfort.

Some people choose to add them, and I must admit, they do look good. It's a nice nod to the static prop too.

I'm still cautiously of the belief that they weren't on the duelling stunt though (V2/Motorised stunt).

Always happy to be proven wrong of course.
Yeah i’ve heard of the death saber. It’s interesting, and I don’t have a theory on it yet. But Danny also puts them on his motorized stunt and I do like the look of them a lot! I’ve tried to ask him about it, but he always ignores me for some reason? Anyways, I understand not putting them on your replica dave. If there’s no definitive proof, then it shouldn’t be added to a main kit. Maybe as an optional Item of course. I purchased 2 sets of Romans new transistors for my kits in case I want to add them later!

Here it can be seen that it is dressed with transistors and that it is the "V2" because of the missing clamp bar:
1657647196738.png

I think most likely there were no transistors during the actual duel, because as Dave pointed it would make it even more uncomfortable to hold than it already is.

Hard to tell if we are looking at the correct side of the clamp but here are couple of examples:
1657648233652.png

the second in particular looks like an empty clamp hole with the black paint showing below it.

Something interesting that I've noticed in regards to the "Death Saber" clamp (besides that the transistors look very similar to the ones on the V2 clamp in that final scene):

1657662986998.png

Here it can be seen that it is dressed with transistors and that it is the "V2" because of the missing clamp bar:
View attachment 1597213

I think most likely there were no transistors during the actual duel, because as Dave pointed it would make it even more uncomfortable to hold than it already is.

Hard to tell if we are looking at the correct side of the clamp but here are couple of examples:
View attachment 1597216
the second in particular looks like an empty clamp hole with the black paint showing below it.

Something interesting that I've noticed in regards to the "Death Saber" clamp (besides that the transistors look very similar to the ones on the V2 clamp in that final scene):

View attachment 1597264
Now this is getting interesting!

I really appreciate everyone’s input on this thread so far! Nice to have everything in one spot for those who want to build one, or complete their kit :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back